C&D Exhausted Rooster, brick in a can?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a one-pound sealed can of Exhausted Rooster, and when shaken it sounds like one, large, hard, solid mass inside. I don't recall it being pressed into a brick. Any one open a large can and is it really that solid? I plan to age this, or I'd check myself.

Natch

I know C&D will press a blend upon request, maybe you got a tin that was pressed.

Thanks guys. I've had ER in the smaller tin and it was a flake, but I remember it as being packed about as any of the McClellend Vas are packed, loosely filled, broken flake. This puppy makes a notable "thump" when I shake it?

Guess there's only one way to find out? I gotta
:pipe:

Natch

Puff Daddy":igxmjh60 said:
I know C&D will press a blend upon request, maybe you got a tin that was pressed.
And some vendors only offer some blends in pressed form. I have C&D Night Train that is offered "Pressed Only". However, it should say on the description before you order/purchase it.

An interesting question would be "what affect does pressed tobacco have on aging compared to unpressed tobacco?"

Slow Puffs":hh0xxoh1 said:
Puff Daddy":hh0xxoh1 said:
And some vendors only offer some blends in pressed form. I have C&D Night Train that is offered "Pressed Only". However, it should say on the description before you order/purchase it.

An interesting question would be "what affect does pressed tobacco have on aging compared to unpressed tobacco?"
I would think that a large pressed block would age a little differently than a "loose" cut tin of tobacco depending on how tightly it was pressed. It would seem that the outer layer would age more quickly due to it's proximity to the available air/oxygen in the can. This would all depend on how air-impermiable the interior of the block is but this would affect it's aging. I also would venture that beyond 20 years, or so, it probably wouldn't matter much.

I have three 2oz. tins of Briar Fox. When shaken, they all make the exact same sound that you describe. Brick in a can.

I was under the impression that it is just a chunk (or chunks) of the crumble cake placed in the can. Maybe Exhausted rooster is made the same way. Or maybe it all settled together after it was sealed.

Either way, it'll be fine for aging.

Only one way to answer this question. Upon opening I found two, neatly wrapped and taped 8 oz. packages of cut flakes in the can. So it was actually two bricks. You can see one as it came out leaning against the can, and the other, obviously, has been unwrapped.

Natch

Wow! Very cool.

I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. (Pun intended.) :roll:

Thanks for sharing that picture Natch.

That looks delicious.. Thats definatly how they pack their 'krumble kakes' but I've never seen flakes packed that way. :cheers:

Smoked a bit this morning by the fire, and as with many Va based blends, good but has the potential to be great with some age. So into the jars it goes and I'll check again in a year or two. By the way, these flakes are the perfect size to load into the 8 oz. Mason jelly jars. They have the same size opening as their standard quart and half quart jars, but straight sided from the mouth on down, so you can rather easily load almost four ounces of flakes into each jar, with about 1/2" space on top to load those broken crumbs.

Natch

Hermit":y4t3h2ev said:
Mmmm...Rooster Loaf. :lol:
:lol!: It does look quite tasty. I'm working on my fist tin of Rooster now. It seems to be one of those blends that really shines in the right pipe.

That is beautiful!!! I bought a 2oz can recently but have only smoked a bowl or 2... I having fun with the night train plug. Smells like a blond brownie. Damm good. C&D is putting out some great quality leaf.

Man, that is some good looking tobacco! I have been wanting to try it and almost bought some when I was at JR's this past week. I have to go to Charlotte tomorrow and will pass by JR's on the way. I will be stopping for some Exhausted Rooster. I am going to tell the Misses that it is Mr. Natural's fault! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man I could smell the aroma when I saw the photo. I am starting to salivate just thinking about smoking that.

:pipe: on Brother.