C&D Mold again

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
Just opened a tin of Five O'clock Shadow to try and found a spot of mold on the bottom of the kake. WTF C&D! I love their tobaccos for the most part, but this is really getting concerning...

Oh my.

I enjoy a number of their products, but I have cooled my heels on cellaring up on their blends for this very reason. It’s a real bummer to see that they are still having problems in their processing.

Hmmm, they didn't ask for it back last time. They just sent a new tin.

Just two of their kakes, this one and Oak Alley. I've not seen it it any of their shags and flakes.

Oh man that’s a horrible thing to see! I’m so sorry this keeps happening to you. It really makes me reluctant to even try C&D stuff. Not fair to the company I know but still....tobacco money doesn’t grow on trees here. Hope they take care of you quickly.

Jim

ak2000":52zajfi1 said:
Just two of their kakes, this one and Oak Alley. I've not seen it it any of their shags and flakes.
OOPs!!! I have two March 2014 tins of Oak Alley. Wonder if I need to pop'em and jar'em :?: :?: HhhMmm!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I've had this problem with several of their blends over the few years I bought their 'baccy. They always made things right (even once sending some more moldy ,baccy ! ) I've not bought anymore of their 'baccy since the last moldy tin over a year ago. To much question ( for me) if I'll get good 'baccy! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Aaaawwww, I didn't need to hear this!

I finally broke down and started back into buying their stuff. Ten tins of Dreams of Kadath. Three I had jars to transfer them into, but I figured the others might be fine as the first few didn't grow. Now, there is adrenalin again.

:fpalm:

I once had a pound of their bulk Yale Mixture get moldy--and this was back when Craig Tarler was running things. Then again, I've had Penzance do the same. Perhaps it's just me and my rather casual storing methods. Their Red Virginia or whatever it was about a year ago that was recalled was fine. I smoked mine and it was great. Looks like more of a crap shoot than science. Or maybe some of these blends are too "natural." Do aromatics ever get moldy? Eh? Wot?

Ozark Wizard":lxet79ns said:
Fight'n Hampsters":lxet79ns said:
I wonder how much of it is confined to their pressed cakes?  

and their tinned tobacco....
I have purchased and opened quite a bit of their tinned tobacco, mostly flakes and ribbons, and the only ones I've had a problem with are the kakes. That said, I've opened a few GLP Quiet Nights, Gaslight, and Jackknife plug with no problem.

Richard Burley":jbmrnycx said:
Do aromatics ever get moldy? Eh? Wot?
I have a theory about this, because I have never noticed a moldy aromatic. When a top-dressing is applied, the flavor is thinned out by a carrier like PG or alcohol. My thought is that the carrier effectively kills the mold spores and bacterias that are present. This might also explain why aromatics tend not to show any appreciable aging over time.

Russ