C&D Purple Cow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
C&D Purple Cow

The C&D catalog describes Purple Cow as "A classic blend from Bob Runowski. Bright VA ribbon is added to a Burley base, then complemented by a dash of Latakia and tasty maduro cigar leaf." This was a good sign for me as I have never smoked a Bob Runowski blend that I didn't like and some of his creations are among my all time favorites.

Purple Cow is available in 2, 8, and 16 oz. tins and has a rather humorous logo with a pipe smoking purple cow and a farmer with an astonished look on his face. I tested the 2 oz. tin. The cut is a rather wide ribbon. There are several shades of brown and some black in the tobacco.

PC seems to like a rather firm pack in the pipe, perhaps because of the cut. One charring light gets it going, then the smoker is treated to a mix of the burley flavor with the Latakia in the background, perhaps not as prominent as in a tobacco like Morley's Best. The VA is there but plays a minor role, however this one can nip your tongue if puffed too fast. The maduro leaf appears to become more prominent as the tobacco is smoked down and adds a cigar note to the mix. PC burns well and down to the bottom of the pipe with no dottle.

I did require a few relights while smoking it, but that is par for the course with me, I've never been a "one match" smoker. PC was smoked in six different pipes and seemed to prefer larger ones, particularly my XL Lannes Johnson.

Overall I enjoyed Purple Cow and will definitely purchase it again. Bob, you did good!

Smokey

Nice review smokey. With these cigar blends, do they leave a strong residual in your pipes?

jhuggett":4nxmezmx said:
Nice review smokey. With these cigar blends, do they leave a strong residual in your pipes?
I haven't noticed too much of a residual with Purple Cow. I have noticed some ghosting with some of the L.J. Peretti burley blends, however, and also with Cuban Mixture, which is a Peretti cigar leaf blend. I think it's more the casing on the burley, that's what it tastes like.

smokey

Nice review Smokey! I just have a hard time getting past "maduro leaf".

Justpipes":iha9l3oq said:
It was blended to ensure that the cigar leaf was present but not intrusive. Soft, like a mother's kiss :D . Many of the other cigar blends, and I'm thinking Billy Budd, are a stout combination of cigar leaf and latakia, but in Purple Cow the burley softens the impact.

morleysson":l5uuawl6 said:
Justpipes":l5uuawl6 said:
It was blended to ensure that the cigar leaf was present but not intrusive. Soft, like a mother's kiss :D . Many of the other cigar blends, and I'm thinking Billy Budd, are a stout combination of cigar leaf and latakia, but in Purple Cow the burley softens the impact.
Well in that case Bob, I just might have to try it! I am hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Tarler make it to our show in Raleigh, NC this year and I might try it then.

Does the Maduro leaf leave a ghost in your pipe after you smoke it? I just picked up a tin but was not sure if I should smoke it and taint a favorite pipe. I think I have heard of people saying something of the sort .

J_Rock":fr1rxrv2 said:
Does the Maduro leaf leave a ghost in your pipe after you smoke it? I just picked up a tin but was not sure if I should smoke it and taint a favorite pipe. I think I have heard of people saying something of the sort .
I haven't noticed Purple Cow ghosting any of the pipes I've smoked it in. I generall smoke it in my burley blend pipes.

Smokey

Ok, now after 2 tins of Purple Cow I am still blown away by this blend. I don't know where to start. The burley is the base and that is fine with me. I love burley based blends. The cigar leaf in this blend tastes to me of high quality. I can taste the dark chocolate maduro flavor hints. This normaly isn't the case in cigar blends. I always seem to find the latakia is mixed too heavy as well as the cigar leaf which makes the blends taste too fake. Over all this blend is a mainstay in my rotation!!!! :D :pipe:

-Jeff