C&D Star of the East.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I like some of C&D products...
They don't hold me entranced like some other blenders have a tendency to, but they make some solid product. In My not so humble opinion Star of the East is their Crown Glory. Nothing else they make is even close.. not even Star of the East Flake. The porportion is just right, nothing is overdone, it just works. Deep earthiness, sweetness, that small bitter back of the tongue tingle the orientals sometimes whack ya with... good stuff.

Whats your favorite blend from them???

puros_bran":g7hxkm4d said:
They don't hold me entranced like some other blenders have a tendency to, but they make some solid product. In My not so humble opinion Star of the East is their Crown Glory. Nothing else they make is even close.. not even Star of the East Flake. The porportion is just right, nothing is overdone, it just works. Deep earthiness, sweetness, that small bitter back of the tongue tingle the orientals sometimes whack ya with... good stuff.

I'm glad you wrote this. I absolutely LOVE Star of the East Flake. But about a year ago, I made a booboo on an order and ended up with 8 oz of Star of the East instead of the Flake. My error, not the etailer's. I haven't tried it yet, but now I'm looking forward to it.

I like several C&D blends. Star of the East Flake is my fave English. Epiphany is a quiet, gentle smoke that would be my desert island tobacco. Lately, I've been smoking quite a bit of After Hours Flake, a mild, rummified flake. Three Friars is a cheap and delicious Virginia with Perique.

And on the coldest days of the year, I often load a pipe with #965: Tuggle Hall.

I am probably a bigger fan of C&D than you. On another board, someone asked the, "If you could choose only 1 blender..." question and I chose C&D. Their catalog is so large, I don't think I'd ever get bored. I don't think they make the absolute best in any tobacco category (save, perhaps, "American-English"), but they're near the top in most. For me, at least.

beaupipe":5jxvnnjc said:
puros_bran":5jxvnnjc said:

I'm glad you wrote this. I absolutely LOVE Star of the East Flake. But about a year ago, I made a booboo on an order and ended up with 8 oz of Star of the East instead of the Flake. My error, not the etailer's. I haven't tried it yet, but now I'm looking forward to it.

I like several C&D blends. Star of the East Flake is my fave English. Epiphany is a quiet, gentle smoke that would be my desert island tobacco. Lately, I've been smoking quite a bit of After Hours Flake, a mild, rummified flake. Three Friars is a cheap and delicious Virginia with Perique.

And on the coldest days of the year, I often load a pipe with #965: Tuggle Hall.

I am probably a bigger fan of C&D than you. On another board, someone asked the, "If you could choose only 1 blender..." question and I chose C&D. Their catalog is so large, I don't think I'd ever get bored. I don't think they make the absolute best in any tobacco category (save, perhaps, "American-English"), but they're near the top in most. For me, at least.

LOL....I did exactly the same thing, bought the bulk instead of the flake! Won't make that mistake again. :lol!:

My C&D favs:

Cube Cut Burley
Tuggle Hall
Pirate Kake
Three Friars
Bow Legged Bear
Good Morning
Reverie
Star of the East (and flake)
Tuskegee Airman
and
Opening Night,
Opening Night,
Opening Night :)

gandalfpc":ouh32atc said:
My C&D favs:

Cube Cut Burley
Tuggle Hall
Pirate Kake
Three Friars
Bow Legged Bear
Good Morning
Reverie
Star of the East (and flake)
Tuskegee Airman
and
Opening Night,
Opening Night,
Opening Night :)
I have two sealed 8oz tins of PK dated 03-29-06 if you ever get tired of Dark Birdseye. :D

(Or, if you want to offload some of your recent production DBE for it & replace with more new stuff later... GH&Co shags don't seem to be affected much by age.)

I noticed a few tins of Opening Night as I sorted through my very humble stash this morning. You know, you make an order and grab a tin of something you haven't tried
before,,,,,then never try it?,,,,,apparently I had put this on my list and ignored it several times. Thinking there must be a good reason it was on my list I sat down after a cold morning of hunting deer with a huge mug of coffee and popped open a can of this stuff. I'm impressed to say the least although I've only smoked two bowls. Sweet and rich, easy smoking and good to the end.

I tried a sample of this at the Greater Kansas City Pipe show in 06 and thought it was wonderful after loading my pipe and not realizing I had been smoking it for 2 hours, I then ordered a 1/2 lb the next week. This is the only tobacco I have tried that makes my mouth sore for days, the sample I had did not do this. The tin was from early in 06 and I don't know the date of the sample I was given. After opening the tin I tried it again, it made my mouth sore, thinking in may have been that it was just because it was a fresh tin i put an ounce in a jar to let it air a couple hours a day for a week. Tried it again a few weeks latter and it did the same. Good flavor but just felt like I had been chain smoking for a day. I revisited it a few nights ago and had the same results no bit just made my mouth sore till evening the next day.

Has anyone ever had this problem with another tobacco or this tobacco?

I've never had a tobacco make my mouth sore. Had some that bit like a mutha. I have found that a lot of tobaccos with a substatial Latakia component leave a long lasting after taste to me, that's why I stick mostly with Virginias.

I admit that I am one of those unabashed fans of C&D products. Being a rather frugal smoker I find their bulk English blends to be perfect values. Star of the East is in that group for me; I have smoked about a pound and a half over the last two years. So, it's not a regular for me but it is one I enjoy when I want a Latakia-forward Virginia-spiced Oriental blend with a decent Vitamin N kick.

My favorite C&D bulks:
Engine 99
Cordial (could be my real number one, in fact, if I kept enough of my purchases around for myself but I send most of it to my Dad who really likes it)
Tuggle Hall
Star of the East
Stratfordshire (when I want a MM965 experience without Tuggle Hall's heaviness)
Byzantium (likewise when I want an MM965 experience but WITH some weight)
Plantation Evening
Bayou Morning (for those Vaper times - my morning bowl)
Pirate Kake
Night Train (for those other Vaperbur times)

Rarely do I go for their tinned product but when I do buy some Red Carpet is always on the order (but it disappears very quickly). I am tempted to try a bunch more of their high-end product.

C&D?

Exhausted Rooster
Bayou Morning
Night Train
OJK
Burley Flake #2 and #3

Pretty much in that order.

Billy Budd is OTT for me right now.

Need to try the Guildford Flake.

Cheers,

RR

Not in any particular order.
Raja's Court
Sunday Picnic
Burley #1
Burley#3

I have fond memories of Bow Legged Bear and Cross Eyed Cricket but it's been years since smoking either... Don't know if they would still appeal to me.

Scott

My favorite C&D blends include:
(notice no Latakia blends, which I am currently turned off of.)
Bayou Morning
Briar Fox
Exhausted Rooster
First Responders
Haunted Bookshop
Night Train
Old Joe Krantz
Opening Night
Red Carpet

Riverboat Gambler
Sunday Picnic
Three Friars
Virginia Gentleman

I love Start of the East as well as several other C&D Blends - none have made my mouth hurt.