C&D Three Friars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this tobacco. I won a tin of this at our last TAPS Meeting monthly raffle and smoked some of it for the first time earlier today. I liked it very much! The only thing that I can compare it to and going way back in my memory is GLP Cairo. It has that citrus tang to it. I use to smoke Cairo quite a bit and liked that aspect of it. Now I am afraid I will have to get some of this Three Friars to put back.

It's supposed to be a replacement/substitute for the original Three Nuns, correct?

I'd really be interested to hear what those have to say that have had both.

Never tried 3 Nuns but 3 Friars is one, like Hermit, I like to always have on hand.

Benjamin Button":3c5p5znb said:
It's supposed to be a replacement/substitute for the original Three Nuns, correct?

I'd really be interested to hear what those have to say that have had both.
Not quite, I'm not aware that C&D intend it to be.

Bell Three Nuns (a nice presentation HERE ) is a Vaper described on Tobacco Reviews.com as a blend of dark fired and sun cured tobaccos mixed with the finest Brazilian Lights to produce the unique flavour and mellow smoking characteristics for which Three Nuns is famous.

C&D describe Three Friars: A combination of Virginia ribbon, Brown VA burley and Perique.

It's close cousins:

Old Joe Krantz: Dark and cube cut Burley with red VA ribbon and Perique create a smooth, all day smoke and Haunted Bookshop: A Burley and VA blend with just a touch of Perique are all variations on this theme.

They are all unique and complex, very well manored and great candidates for long term aging or immediate enjoyment.

Three Friars is a part of my daily rotation. Rich, spicy, nutty and creamy with a slowly building bouquet of many stewed fruit notes in the mouth and nasal areas, with a rich buttery mouth feel would be my short notes in lieu of a proper review.

My advice? Grab a 2 ounce tin of this and give it a go, as what I call lovingly a 'poor man's Haddo's Delight' sans Cavendish and Rum is a worthy weed for a mature VaBurPer fancier. The cousins are also well worthy candidates for consideration. My revised advise, grab a 2 ounce tin of all three!

kilted1":ny3n9fei said:
My revised advise, grab a 2 ounce tin of all three!
Those three make up almost four and half pounds in my cellar.
Similar, but different. I love all three!

It's one of the few C&D blends that I never got into. Bought a pound about 8 or 9 years ago and have smoked it on and off over the years. I wouldn't compare it to 3-nuns, and all in all found it rather flat and harsh. But then that's just me and I'm obviously in the minority here. I do find it a good blending tobacco to mix with others.

Natch

Three Friars does not taste like Bell's Three Nuns.

Instead of dark-fired Burley, it has a rather dull brown burley that you can taste. Also, Three Nuns was a sliced twist —i.e., it came in dime-sized coins.

The Friars is a simple ribbon mixture. Not unpleasant, but not memorable.

Had my first bowl of this last evening. As I have been on a burley kick lately, and prefer perique in small doses, this was right up my alley.

Rich & Buttery for sure, with a little spicy sweetness when puffed slowly.

An excellent blend, I'll definitely be ordering more than a couple ounces of this!

Hardly any point in starting a new thread with the same name, so I will just add to this one.

I am not basing this comparison on any recollection of Three Nuns or having tasted the current version. I expected to like this tobacco from the description, and I was not disappointed.

This is a wonderful Virginia forward VaBur with perique used as a condiment and not the main attraction. I found it to be about the right moisture content from the bag. It burns well and smoked cool for me. I am glad I bought a pound of it to try.

This one was very tasty - a slight Va sweetness with just enough spiciness and burley fullness to keep it interesting. For my palate, this is a great balanced flavor, and a very good smoke.

3 Friars is one I've always meant to try, given the comparisons to 3 Nuns, and that just from the name. But given the number of new blends and others, new-to-me, the gate to what I will try narrows. Thus now Pease's new blend "Gaslight" looms largest.

smokingpipes is supposed to have more tomorrow; 4noggins on Fri. or Mon.

I can't see a resemblance to any version of 3 Nuns at all. Not even the latest reincarnation which is a poor comparison to the original.

To my taste, 3 Friars is a Burley foreward blend with just enough Virginia to add a touch of sweetness.
Nothing especially interesting or complex.

Mike Brissett