C & D tobacco price increase

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
I smoke only C & D simply because I only smoke 2 blends at a time, like their stuff, & like to buy from 1 outlet. When I called them 2 days ago to order my standard 2 pounds, was informed that the price was about to increase $4 per pound. Can understand that, but noticed they had just posted an announcement on ASP re to that increase where they explain the choice was increasing price or closing & retiring! Needless to say am much more concerned about the latter as I would not want to lose their blends and suspect if that happened so too would we lose the Pease blends. Earl

earl":7q74ilvn said:
I smoke only C & D simply because I only smoke 2 blends at a time, like their stuff, & like to buy from 1 outlet. When I called them 2 days ago to order my standard 2 pounds, was informed that the price was about to increase $4 per pound. Can understand that, but noticed they had just posted an announcement on ASP re to that increase where they explain the choice was increasing price or closing & retiring! Needless to say am much more concerned about the latter as I would not want to lose their blends and suspect if that happened so too would we lose the Pease blends. Earl
Like everything else that increases in price over time, tobacco is no exception. With fuel prices skyrocketing in recent months, I'm surprised it took this long.

Fuel prices have fluctuated between 3-3.50 Nationally. Our Fuel Surcharge is based on 1.25 per gallon with adjustments listed to infinity. Right now its over 25% of billed line haul. Which means a 2000 buck load now pays 2500.. I'm surprised the cost hasn't been noticed before now. Energy cost is a major factor in the economy sucking so bad right now..

Back on C&D pricing. Compared to alot of brands their prices are still competitive,But what I don't understand is why anyone would order straight from C&D and pay higher prices and shipping than ordering the same thing from smokingpipes.. Really makes me wonder how much baccy Sikes and Co order to get the pricing down that low. Must literally be tons at a time.

puros_bran":m70gh8kv said:
But what I don't understand is why anyone would order straight from C&D and pay higher prices and shipping than ordering the same thing from smokingpipes.. Really makes me wonder how much baccy Sikes and Co order to get the pricing down that low. Must literally be tons at a time.
Craig prefers that you buy from one of the retailers, which is why you pay MSRP when ordering from C&D directly. He has no desire to screw his own customers, the B&M's. Smokingpipes buys at wholesale and sells it for less than MSRP, as do some others.

"Smokingpipes buys at wholesale and sells it for less than MSRP"

I'm aware of that. I also know the more you buy wholesale the cheaper it gets, as he has the best prices on the net or anywhere else for that matter I assume he must buy a lot at one time to remain profitable.

C&D posted a heads up on this at KCCB.

Apparently, it's because production costs have gone up and this is one of two choices. The other being, fold up the tent.

Smokingpipes has already adjusted their retail prices accordingly.

Here's part of the SAME problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GLP prices have also been increased which is reeeely scary, not from a price standpoint,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what if C&D DID fold up their tent?

Be wise and stock up on your must haves. This may be the start of something not good.

Pipe tobacco is STILL a major bargain. How much is a medium quality cigar?

Besides the Tarlers' great service, the reason I buy direct from them is that other outlets do not carry the C&D blends I want. But my concern wasn't price increase. Rather it was the thought they'd close altogether. :face: Earl

Actually, I spread my money around real well. But I do order direct from C&D occasionally. Several times a year, I suppose. The number one reason is, I like talking to Patty. :D Ok, ok. Talking to Patty is a bonus. If I call, I can order any blend they make on the spot. Also, I can get a sample. They do a highlighted blend and recently Craig mixed up a batch of Sailorman II. A cigar leaf blend favored by Sailorman Jack.

The retailers often only have part of their catalog on hand. Not always in 1 pound tins. Now Mike at MARS and Smoking Pipes, other retailers I am sure, would order for me. But sometimes I really do like to chat with the good folks at C&D and have a couple ounces mixed up for me, similar to a stock blend. Blending over the phone.

So it costs a bit more, so what. Great service is worth that little extra cost. Their shipping is fast and reasonable too.

:pipe:

Although I buy quite a bit of C&D tobacco from e-tailers (primarily Smoking Pipes) I also buy some direct for the reasons Earl mentioned. Craig will also press my tobacco if I so desire. I would really hate to see Craig and Patty close up shop as it would be the end of many of my favorite blends.

Smokey