C&D's Three Friars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting reading all the comments on everyone's experiences with this blend.

My very first experience with it was from a very generous brother here (John a.k.a. eklektos44) somewhat recently. Glad I could repay the favor John.

Liked the flavor, the cut, the fact that it came perfect for immediate packing without any further drying. And that's a characteristic I've noted of several of the C&D blends which is perfect for me, in that I tend to prefer my 'baccy a bit on the dry side.

I will note that for me however, it came with a nic-punch that gave me the hics mid bowl, or whenever I tried to puff faster than occasionally. I seem to be quite sensitive to lady nic, and do not appreciate it beyond a certain point (low to no).

That was the only down side of Three Friars to me. Seemed a bit on the strong side, which perhaps a bit of aging can reduce. Also like others have said, the flavors might meld a bit as well.

FWIW

Cheers,

RR

Cartaphilus":epy6w449 said:
I didn't think to mention but, I do have issues with Burley and bite and 3 Friars is certainly a Burley blend.
There is a good bit of burley present, but it's definitely more VA forward. For those who find C&D Burley blends not sweet enough and too harsh, do not be afraid. The sweeter VAs tame these characteristics, but also receive some extra umph from their Burley counterpart.

Thomas Tkach":w1ta11te said:
Cartaphilus":w1ta11te said:
I didn't think to mention but, I do have issues with Burley and bite and 3 Friars is certainly a Burley blend.
There is a good bit of burley present, but it's definitely more VA forward. For those who find C&D Burley blends not sweet enough and too harsh, do not be afraid. The sweeter VAs tame these characteristics, but also receive some extra umph from their Burley counterpart.
I partly agree, but based on my impressions I wouldn't go so far as to say VA forward. What I liked most was the balance between the two. To your point, it is not a burley powerhouse. The burley is certainly there, but the VA is equally there and neither seem to me to step forward and steal the show.

I bought a few ounces in bulk a few years ago and try it off and on. They must have spilled the perique jar in my batch, because that is all I taste, and it has a tremendous nic hit. A real pity, because when it was fresh off the truck and the flavors had not yet married, I liked the Va and Burley in there.

I recently tried Virginia Gentleman and get those same flavors without the perique and nic hit, so it's sort of a 3 Friars Lite.

MichaelM":3ved84rl said:
Thomas Tkach":3ved84rl said:
Cartaphilus":3ved84rl said:
I partly agree, but based on my impressions I wouldn't go so far as to say VA forward.  What I liked most was the balance between the two.  To your point, it is not a burley powerhouse.  The burley is certainly there, but the VA is equally there and neither seem to me to step forward and steal the show.  
aadelma":3ved84rl said:
I bought a few ounces in bulk a few years ago and try it off and on. They must have spilled the perique jar in my batch, because that is all I taste, and it has a tremendous nic hit. A real pity, because when it was fresh off the truck and the flavors had not yet married, I liked the Va and Burley in there.

I recently tried Virginia Gentleman and get those same flavors without the perique and nic hit, so it's sort of a 3 Friars Lite.
I just tried a different sample and it was more Burley-forward than I remember; pretty evenly balanced actually. I wonder if the it's the same thing with the contents settling unevenly or something. Then again, maybe it's just me remembering wrong.

I just recently received a sample of this blend. So far so good. I like the flavor but as Rande pointed out it does have a bit of a kick to it. I think I'll keep this one in a smaller corn cob pipe that I have designated to blends like OJK, Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus.

Ozark Wizard":m2jk7xke said:
Yup, pretty potent alright.......

As my Dad would say, "It will put hair on your chest or take it off...which ever the need." :)

AJ