C&D's Winchester

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
During the past year I've been exploring both straight Burley blends and Virginia/Burley blends. C&D's Winchester is a mix of a fine Red Virginia and Black Cavendish (Kentucky Green River Burley). It comes in bulk form and when my 4 ounce bag arrived I found the tobacco to be like most C&D blends on the dry side. The moisture content was perfect for me. The aroma upon opening the bag reminded me of an old tobacco barn that had just had a barn full of cured tobacco removed. The childhood memory was intriguing and offered promise of a tobacco with pure tobacco taste. The ribbon cut leaves pack easily and is easy to light. There is a good volume of smoke that has the sweetness of the Red Virginia smoothed by the black cavendish. This is pure tobacco flavor with a subtle richness that become evident while you relax and puff slowly.There was no harshness or bite. This blend which has a mild to moderate nicotine hit can easily be an all day smoke. It doesn't require any relights and burns down to a fine gray ash leaving no moisture or dottle in the bowl. I smoke this in a billiard or Rhodesian and get the same results with each pipe used. Not a flavor powerhouse but if your looking for a blend with honest tobacco flavor which invites you to relax and enjoy your time meditating while providing a satisfying smoke then you might want to give Winchester a try. :)

AJ

Brewdude":9ph2q8zv said:
Sounds like a great no-nonsense codger blend AJ. I'll check it out.

Cheers,

RR
Rande maybe you young whippersnappers should use a little caution when you venture into these old codger blends. :lol!:

AJ

Just tried some from getting 'bombed'........ You rascals...............

Very nice. Very nice indeed! But a codger blend? No need to rush an old wizard now....

I thought it was very enjoyable really. No nonsense like they say, natural sweetness.

Yuppers, good stuff!

Father Tom was kind enough to send me a sample, and I enjoyed it, too.

I like Winchester as well. I call it an aromatic, one of C&D's many solid, long appreciated hits. It lasts forever in the pouch, so a PG component is very likely. I think it's one of the hardest blends to NOT smoke well...in other words it's very forgiving of pipe and or smoking technique. It loves a cob! Just sayin'.

It really gives an old man's spirit a big lift when he recommends a tobacco to his friends and they find that they like it too. Knowing you've put a smile on your friend's face makes the day worth living. :) :heart: :)

AJ

ajn27511":xgh558bk said:
It really gives an old man's spirit a big lift when he recommends a tobacco to his friends and they find that they like it too. Knowing you've put a smile on your friend's face makes the day worth living. :) :heart: :)

AJ
This was what I was smoking this morning in a cob as I got ready to leave the house for the drive to work. I was thinking to myself what a great blend it was for doing exactly that...

I have been curious about this blend. I'll have to pick some up.

A month ago I picked up a couple ounces of their blend Yorktown. I have been enjoying smoking that one quite a bit.

ajn27511":baj7de6e said:
,,,, if your looking for a blend with honest tobacco flavor,,,, AJ
^^^^ OK, I'm sold. Thanks for the heads up. ^^^^

mark":1572yiw5 said:
^^^^ OK, I'm sold. Thanks for the heads up. ^^^^

You're welcome. Always happy to help. BTW no charge! :lol!:

AJ