Cabernet Sauvignon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Thoughts? Like? Dislike? Reviews? Just opened a bottle. Not sure about it yet. I think I could get a taste for it.

A good Cab with grilled meat is a winner. It's got big flavors and enough acid to compliment the (delicious) fat in the meat.

If you find it tastes too tannic, let it sit open for a while. You can speed up that process by pouring the bottle into a wine decanter, but it's just as easy to pour yourself a glass and do something else for a while before drinking it.

Doc Manhattan":x155vcm2 said:
A good Cab with grilled meat is a winner. It's got big flavors and enough acid to compliment the (delicious) fat in the meat.

If you find it tastes too tannic, let it sit open for a while. You can speed up that process by pouring the bottle into a wine decanter, but it's just as easy to pour yourself a glass and do something else for a while before drinking it.
Agreed! Nothing beats a good Cab with a big ol steak!

And Aaron if you're not a seasoned wine drinker and this is your first cab, don't let one glass from one manufacturer set your idea of what a cab is. I've had a ton of different cabs (we're mainly red drinkers except for the hottest months) and they all range from having so much tannin and bite that you can't get through it, to being silky smooth and full of wonderful flavors.

and if you like the overall experience, I will recommend you try a Syrah (Shiraz) or a Zinfandel (NOT "White" Zin)

Both are big red wines that are more easily drinkable (re: enjoyable) than Cabs (IMHO, of course :lol: )

I'm not too much into wine, but if I'm
having wine it's either Cab Sav or Merlot.
(even with fish - gasp.) :lol:

Cabs are great...but can easily turn one off if they are not accustomed to red wine. If you are looking for a fantastic cab to compare that won't break the budget try a Broquel Trapiche Cabernet which is out of Argentina or a DeMartino Organic Cabernet out of Chile. Both of these South American cabs are wonderfully rich and have many of the characterisics of the richer Syrahs or Zins but are not as heavy in body and will offer a really nice experience without leaving a hole in your wallet.

I work at a local wine bar and those are two of my favorites that I have tried, and more often than not people that are not into cabs really enjoy these as well.

My favorite thing to hear from a new guest is "Oh I hate (insert type of wine) wines." I'll always find them something that will alter that opinion. Never judge a varietal of wine based off of a single experience. Wine, tobacco, coffee, fine liquor, etc...they are all things which we need to experience more than once and from more than one producer to really pass judgment.

I could talk about this forever so I'm gonna stop here. Enjoy trying new wines and post up any questions!

Cabernet S. is about the only wine I drink when I do drink wine. Occasionally a Merlot.

I find a properly chilled vintage Bartles & James compliments the occasional Vienna sausage on a triscut quite well. :drunken: