Calabash identification and date assistance needed.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyknocer

Reaction score

Hi All

I am new to the forum and I am super excited. I trust that I will learn a lot from those in the know.

I am struggling with identifying the calabash pipe. Think the 1 mark means that the silver work was done in Birmingham.

Any info from you would be welcomed and really appreciated.

Welcome to BOB!

Judging from the hallmark, I'd say it's a 1919. The anchor means the silver was marked in Birmingham. She looks to be in pretty rough shape, but with enough elbow grease you can probably clean her up. Nice find!

Ocelot55":tavpriuv said:
Welcome to BOB!

Judging from the hallmark, I'd say it's a 1919. The anchor means the silver was marked in Birmingham. She looks to be in pretty rough shape, but with enough elbow grease you can probably clean her up. Nice find!
Tommy, Ocelot55 (Jesse) is one of our esteemed artisan carvers/pipesmiths here at BoB. So if anyone knows anything about something like this it will inevitably be him. So this is sage information.

And what a great pipe that awaits restoration. A truly great find!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":uyopu5gt said:
Ocelot55":uyopu5gt said:
Welcome to BOB!

Tommy, Ocelot55 (Jesse) is one of our esteemed artisan carvers/pipesmiths here at BoB. So if anyone knows anything about something like this it will inevitably be him. So this is sage information.

And what a great pipe that awaits restoration. A truly great find!

Cheers,

RR
Thank you for the information. Now time for the restoration. I have never restored a pipe myself, I will go and search for a how to thread.

According to Gary Schrier's book on calabashes, the CF indicates your pipe was made by Chas.Fletcher. The date code is 1919.

Rob D.