Calabash pipe rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently acquired my first gourd Calabash (estate), and now I'm trying to figure out a rack/stand for it.

Took a look on the usual pipe sites, no joy. Had a brief look on the bay (don't normally like to go there) and nothing stood out.

Anyone have a source for these? I realize it depends on the size of the gourd. I don't have the ability to make one myself.

:scratch:

TIA

Cheers,

RR

I'm almost positive this is one of our fellow BoBers, because it's the exact same setup as the one I got in a trade a few years back:

Calabash Stand

I think it was SPUD 15 maybe that made these? I'd say shoot him a PM...there were a couple finish options if I remember correctly.

Yep, it was SPUD 15: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t26163-calabash-pipe-stand#350484

I just realized the pic of the all-meerschaum calabash used in the listing photos and in that thread was the pic of my pipe I sent him, lol!

nismo270r":o4llkyuk said:
I'm almost positive this is one of our fellow BoBers, because it's the exact same setup as the one I got in a trade a few years back:

Calabash Stand

I think it was SPUD 15 maybe that made these? I'd say shoot him a PM...there were a couple finish options if I remember correctly.

Yep, it was SPUD 15: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t26163-calabash-pipe-stand#350484

I just realized the pic of the all-meerschaum calabash used in the listing photos and in that thread was the pic of my pipe I sent him, lol!
Thanks Chris

I've seen those and have wondered if the plexiglass holder would scar the gourd. I suppose one could line it with felt or something.

If I had a shop with a table saw and the like I could make one myself. Not the case here.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":upch01ck said:
Thanks Chris

I've seen those and have wondered if the plexiglass holder would scar the gourd. I suppose one could line it with felt or something.

If I had a shop with a table saw and the like I could make one myself. Not the case here.

Cheers,

RR
Anytime Rande!

I haven't noticed any scarring with mine, but felt is a great idea to be safe. Iwan Ries is also having a sale this weekend. You can get this guy for $15 and change after the 20% off:

http://www.iwanries.com/Walnut-CalabashLarge-Pipe-Rest-P867C521.cfm

nismo270r":o9h0jpuc said:
Brewdude":o9h0jpuc said:
Thanks Chris

Cheers,

RR
Anytime Rande!

I haven't noticed any scarring with mine, but felt is a great idea to be safe. Iwan Ries is also having a sale this weekend. You can get this guy for $15 and change after the 20% off:

That one looks like a winner. Thanks Chris!

8)

Cheers,

RR

I guess I'm old school but to me plexiglas just doesn't fit with a nice pipe.  From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer the wood one Loneredtree posted as long as it's in a secure spot it can't get knocked over etc.  Personally I prefer the security of the ones Nismo posted...

004.jpg

Idlefellow":bw7xndu9 said:
I guess I'm old school but to me plexiglas just doesn't fit with a nice pipe.  From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer the wood one Loneredtree posted as long as it's in a secure spot it can't get knocked over etc.  Personally I prefer the security of the ones Nismo posted...

004.jpg
Yes, I like the style of these the best.

nismo270r":bw7xndu9 said:
Iwan Ries is also having a sale this weekend. You can get this guy for $15 and change after the 20% off:

Just ordered this today. Thanks again Chris, and getting it for ~ $15 with the 20% off is a bargain. Although the cheapest shipping was almost as much as the stand! Oh well, at least it's USPS priority so should have it mid-week.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Sounds like you have it well in hand! Congrats on the Calabash! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ozark Wizard":1plyzhii said:
Sounds like you have it well in hand! Congrats on the Calabash! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Ya, it's a winner. Been Jonesin' for one of these for some time, and choked on a great deal from bro Mattia a while ago. Got mine from the Blue Room boyz a few weeks ago, and it was a terrific bargain. Can't praise them highly enough!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":lxll6we4 said:
nismo270r":lxll6we4 said:

Calabash Stand

Thanks Chris

Cheers,

RR
FYI I do not use plexiglass only lexan which is 20 times stronger than plexiglass. the hole that holds the gourd is tapered and will not scar the gourd. my calabash has been in the first stand that
i made over 30 years ago. i have made many of these over the years for acquaintances and friends with no complaints. Brothers FATMAN, RUSTY MOUSE, and RDH pipes have my stands. Hope you enjoy yours. MIKE

Brewdude":ou9lvz0j said:
Just ordered this today. Thanks again Chris, and getting it for ~ $15 with the 20% off is a bargain. Although the cheapest shipping was almost as much as the stand! Oh well, at least it's USPS priority so should have it mid-week.

8)

Cheers,

RR
Glad to be of service RR! :p

nismo270r":8f31abrw said:
Brewdude":8f31abrw said:

8)

Cheers,

RR

Glad to be of service RR! :p
De nada Chris. It's a fine stand for my 'bash, and more to my style than the other one which holds the bowl in a bracket. Though the shipping was a bit excessive it was a helluva lot less expensive than the alternatives on the bay, which shipped from the GR or somesuch.

Cheers,

RR