Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi all,

A pipe club friend has asked me to look at an old Dunhill billiard he found at a local antique store. He'd like it restored so he can use it. Research has turned up a date range of 1919-1921.

The pipe is stamped "7" (presumably a shape number?), then

DUNHILL"S "SHELL BRIAR"
Pat Nos. 119708/17 5861/12

No date stamp, no COM stamp

The pipe is in rough shape - the rim is bashed in on the rear edge, the shank needs banding and the stem is a cheap replacement. I think that the stem is actually too short as well - the pipe measures a scant 5.5" in lenght, whereas every early Shell Briar I've found online measures between 5.75" and 6" long.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions about the stem?

On the Patent Dunhills the shape number is on the right side (looking down the stem to the bowl) closest to the bowl. If there's a 7 there, that's the shape. As for the stem, thats a crap shoot. No way to tell what the original length was. In general, the Dunhill proportions are quite logical, so if it seems stubby, or leaves you saying "hmm, something's off", it probably is too short.

Oops, I just noticed its a Shell. I get an EFF for reading comprehension today.:oops: In that case, the shape number will be on the left side (looking at the bottom of the pipe) nearest the heel.