Campers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice. we always hear about how many camping sites there are in Tennessee.

update on our summer of camping, aside from my bicycle crash.
on our way out to her favorite spot again, blew a tire. the tire ripped off the "fender". the blowout happened as we were going over a bridge with no place to pull off to the side of the road, etc. was on the drivers side, so to us Americans, it's closest to traffic on the highway, so my wife wouldn't let me fix it. and it was at 3:30pm on a Friday... we had to wait until about 6pm before someone came to fix it.

now it's been in the shop. a mix-up with the insurance people (or 1 person, who said they couldn't read the file sent to them by the RV dealer).... so, took it in for a "service" and to have damage fixed. the service was scheduled for early october, but they already have that done, now we're waiting on parts for them to fix the damage, etc.

around here, for some stupid reason, they close up the campgrounds around 1 oct or 15 Oct. very few stay open longer around here, which sucks.

so, hopefully we'll get 1 or 2 more weekends at a site we know allows camping in the winter, and it's only 1 mile from where we put ours in storage.

Here in central Illinois, it seems to be popular to purchase a camper or RV and then park it year round in some nearby campground. Then go an stay a few days in it every so often.

IHT, you are correct. There are tons of state parks, COE campgrounds, and private campgrounds. Loretta Lynn has a decent campground. We've wanted to go there for a while to fish and play in the duck river. Center hill dam has a nice COE campground at the bottom of the damn. The trout fishing is supposed to be great. I tried it at the wrong time of the day when the water was high and rising.

My wife and I have been refurbing a 1994 Rexhall Aerbus the past few months. Just got back from Edisto Island, SC and had a blast! I'll post some pics in a few days; the interior was a gut job, but everything else was in decent shape. Bought it for 2000 and put 8k into it. Tough to find a 36' class A for that kind of dough and we were able to do the interior how it works for us.

When I was offered a retirement package from American Airlines after 29+ years in October of 2018 I purchased a Heartland 305 toy hauler. Best thing I ever did. It beats my old cabover camper I had for ten years, especially when turkey hunting on the Mogollon Rim (6500+ feet) in October. Since I purchased I've spent more time in it then at home. Currently in Indiana helping my Son out.

I spent most of my summers growing up in Dad's homemade camper. Allender's Sad Shack, he designed and built most of it, but in Milwaukee at that time was an outfitter, Lacky and Joys, that would custom make canvas tents, so they helped put the top on it. Wonderful way to "grow up". Nowadays, I'm more of a backpacker (drive to the edge of the wilderness and leave the car from there) but do a fair amount of solo car camping in the back of a Subaru Outback.

Attachments

• Dad's homemade popup camper.jpg
    Dad's homemade popup camper.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 105
  • Sad Shack set up.jpg
    Sad Shack set up.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 93
Since my last post in this thread, we've been to several campgrounds. We also have a couple more trips planned this year.

Rock Island state park tn
1FF247C9-95CE-4430-927E-022E26B9C978.jpeg

David Crockett, state park tn
C3AD1958-9E00-42D6-B89F-B66A976C73CC.jpeg

91D0557A-DB40-432F-B5E8-DA835AC8531A.jpeg

We're going to Natchez trace state park tn next weekend and Hawn state park in Mo. in a couple of weeks.

Since my last post in this thread, we've been to several campgrounds. We also have a couple more trips planned this year.

Rock Island state park tn
View attachment 2171

David Crockett, state park tn
View attachment 2172
View attachment 2174

We're going to Natchez trace state park tn next weekend and Hawn state park in Mo. in a couple of weeks.
Beautiful countryside. My nephew lives in Clarksville TN. Makes me want to go visit him.

Beautiful countryside. My nephew lives in Clarksville TN. Makes me want to go visit him.
Rock Island is not too far from Clarksville. It's a good 4.5 - 5 hour drive for me pulling the camper. Plus I hate driving on I40