Can Going Without Booze Aid Sleep?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is true, then why do Italians, who drink more wine than we do, in general, live longer than Americans?
Well, I've been to Italy exactly once, which makes me an expert... lol. This is my totally unscientific opinion, based on what I saw over a 3 week timespan. I barely saw anyone who I would say was overweight or even tilting toward obese, the whole time we were there. We went to about 9 different cities, from Rome to Lucca and everything in between, so from the very large to very rural areas. Mainly northern Italy, granted, but a pretty good cross section of places. What I saw was that families, couples, whoever generally ate very late dinners, accompanied by lots of wine. The difference? Most Italian dishes are 3 to 5 ingredients, they are all local, organic, non processed just straight up true farm to table simple meals. Everything they eat and drink seemed to come from their local countryside. Did they eat a lot? Appeared so. Did they eat late? Yep. Did they sleep in a lot? Yep. Did they take a long break in the middle of the day to eat/drink/have sex? Seemed like it. All I can say is, I think they have it figured out. When I was there, I drank at least a bottle of wine a day and ate like a king. I never gained a pound. Granted I went for a run or a walk every morning, but it was like being in an alternate universe. I even drank coffee, which I cannot do in the US. Turns my guts upside down so I have to stick to tea. Anyway, to end this long ramble, this is just one mans observation from a short window, but to me it seemed like Italians had figured out how to live. If I ever was to become an expat, I probably would choose Italy. And I have been to many countries in my life and I love this one the most, but it would not be hard for me to live there. Cheers!

This is going to sound bogus but for essential tremors alcohol is recommended. Don't overdo it or the rebound effect will be really bad. So, yes, I rarely drink and it's for medicinal purposes .... really!

Ranger107:

If that is true, then why do Italians, who drink more wine than we do, in general, live longer than Americans?

Just think how long they would live if they didn't drink! :)

why do Italians, who drink more wine than we do, in general, live longer than Americans?
Italians in the U.S., generally speaking, who have adopted the American style of eating and being sedentary, for the most part, share the American life expectancy. Italians in Italy, walk far more than Americans, and have much longer annual vacations to alleviate stress.
Americans who eat a healthy diet, get a reasonable amount of daily exercise, partake in activities that reduce stress, and have significant periods away from work also tend to live longer.

Italians in the U.S., generally speaking, who have adopted the American style of eating and being sedentary, for the most part, share the American life expectancy. Italians in Italy, walk far more than Americans, and have much longer annual vacations to alleviate stress.
Americans who eat a healthy diet, get a reasonable amount of daily exercise, partake in activities that reduce stress, and have significant periods away from work also tend to live longer.
I did notice that they seemed to all go out walking after dinner. Passiagiata I think they called it or something like that. I am sure I mangled the word. But I do remember families, single people, couples whoever all out walking around after dinner. And they socialized and laughed and just generally had a great time. Such a fun place. All this talk of it is making me want to travel there again!

As somebody who's had a sleep disorder my whole life, I've found going without alcohol can be a sleep aid. Going with alcohol can be a sleep aid. Aside from apnea, which is pretty much the same thing for everybody, differing only in degree, everybody's sleep problems are unique. There aren't many things you can make a blanket (pun!) recommendation for, or against.