Can Going Without Booze Aid Sleep?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, as I use booze as a sleeping aid as otherwise my mind does not shut up. Last time I tried dry July, I was an insomniac for four days before I said "bugger it" and started back on the booze again.

Funny, as I use booze as a sleeping aid as otherwise my mind does not shut up.
I can usually tell what nights I'd better have a strong cocktail to stop my mind from motoring 100 mph.

Tonight, I'm having a Piedra Azul blanco tequila gimlet. It is wonderful.

At one time in my life I was what I now see as being a heavy drinker. Now I’m not. It takes me a year to go through one of my traditional Father’s Day gifts…a nice bottle of Rye Whiskey…the best for a well flavored shot plus that real Manhattan or Old Fashioned. This year it was Knob Creek but I’d gladly have High West Double Rye, Angle’s Envy, Wild Turkey 101 Rye, anything bottled by Heaven Hill or High West, even Rittenhouse or Old Overholt. Oh yeah, Portland’s pride…Burnside Rye. See? I’m not picky.

Anyway, be that as it may, I obviously don’t have a traditional toddy before beddy bye. I think one drink or even a double might help drifting off to slumberland but more probably leads to poor sleep overall…not sleeping deeply…sleep apnea issues, etc, As in so many things, moderation.

I'm curious if anyone else is doing dry January and how its going? I am and I cant say I am sleeping better or feeling better when I wake up. But I feel more energized and clear during the day. I thought about breaking with pipes for the month as well, but upon further review decided that was a bad idea! LOL. I've been working out almost everyday and trying to eat a little better. Lost 5 lbs so far. I don't know, I would say that overall I feel better, but I would not say I am sleeping better. I still have some nights I cant get to sleep. Still have some crazy dreams. And I still cant sleep through the night without having to get up and take a piss! So I guess my summary is "mixed, but overall all more positive."

I'm a wimp when it comes to alcohol (nic, too). Before we had kids, we loved a glass of wine with dinner. But when they showed up, we couldn't keep up with them so the bottles stayed in the cellar. i like a nightcap of a half shot of Scotch. Much more than that and I suddenly wake up in 3 hours. I like bourbon too, but my joints feel a bit sore when I wake up. Not so with Scotch or rye - think it has to do with how much those get distilled vs. some bourbons. Port has noticeably less impact on me all the way around. Liqueurs and cordials seem to vary a lot, depending on what flavors and herbs are in there. I can see why monks invented Benedictine, for instance.

hp
les

I didn’t know dry January was a thing. I guess I’m a participant, although I didn’t plan on it. At this rate, it will be a dry Feb too.
Overall I don’t sleep well if I drink right before bed time. Sometimes I wake up after a 3 hour “nap” or I toss and turn.
The sound machine on my bedside table has been a game changer in terms of helping me get drowsy, sleep through tinnitus episodes, and go back to sleep if I do wake up in the middle of the night.

I rarely have more than 2 to 3 oz of alcohol in a day, and for me that's about 10 oz/week because I probably only consume alcohol 4 days a week or less. I have a drink when I'm in the mood for one.

Well I can attest that now three weeks in, I am sleeping a little better during this dry January. I still have bizarre dreams, and still getting up to piss, but I am feeling more rested when I get up in the morning. But all the abuse of my youth still manifests in the stiff joints and aches and pains in knees, back ankles, etc. My wife says my skin looks better. But I dont know about that. All I know is I am ready for a nice cold IPA come Feb. 1!

Well I can attest that now three weeks in, I am sleeping a little better during this dry January. I still have bizarre dreams, and still getting up to piss, but I am feeling more rested when I get up in the morning. But all the abuse of my youth still manifests in the stiff joints and aches and pains in knees, back ankles, etc. My wife says my skin looks better. But I dont know about that. All I know is I am ready for a nice cold IPA come Feb. 1!
Any McMenamins will be there, waiting to quench your thirst. Try Capt. Neon, Argon or Alienator. And Sunflower is popular. So many choices, so little time.

BA61B49E-26E4-4E07-A651-379D50C7D1FF.jpeg