Can I shoot rifled slugs out of my 26in 20g?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What choke is it? Full-choke may not be good but then again they may be okay. It depends. I used to shoot rifled slugs out of a 12 gauge with a 30" full-choke barrel. It never blew up. :D

If it's not full-choke I'm guessing you'll be fine but ask a gunsmith.

Last edited:
My 20 gauge modified Winchester pump shot my first buck in a slug. They are not very accurate but the bird shot are intended to use. Be sure to read the laws in NY for gun use.

Probably can, but why? What are you going to shoot with slugs?
In several states you can only use a shotgun with slugs for hunting deer. Makes no sense to me since a shotgun with a rifled barrel (like my Mossberg 500) can shoot saboted slugs and is basically a large caliber rifle. The barrels come with either iron rifle sights or capable of mounting a rifle scope.

Last edited:
True, when I hunted in Iowa I used a Remington 1100 with 16 inch barrel and bead and notch sights. I could nail a 9" pie plate at 80 yds.

the county where I deer hunted in the 80’s and 90’s only allowed shotguns with slugs no rifles at all. I still have my Remington 870 wingmaster 20ga with 16 inch slug barrel I got for my 11th birthday in 1982