Can this be right?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
From the 1988 paper titled "Characteristics of Briarwood". published by the Greek Department of Forestry and Natural Environment

"Note should be made that in actual smoking a tobacco pipe, the temperature inside the bowl was measured to rise to 615 degrees centigrade"

That is over 1100 degrees F. Seems awful high to me.

Mike

Melting temps of various metals.
Aluminum Bronze 1190 - 1215 f
Cast Iron, gray 2150 - 2360f
Gold 1945 f
Plutonium 1180f

Stages of Burning Wood.
• The wood is heated to evaporate and drive off moisture. This heat does not warm the stove or room.
• The wood starts to break down chemically at 500° F and volatile matter is vaporized.

• These vapors contain between 50 and 60 percent of the heat value of the wood.

• At 1100° F these vapors burn. This high temperature must be maintained for maximum efficiency in combustion.

• Following the release of volatile gases, the remaining material is charcoal, which burns at temperatures exceeding 1100° F.

Temperature distribution inside a burning cigarette

R. R. BAKER

Group Research and Development Centre, British-American Tobacco Co. Ltd, Regent's Park Road, Southampton SO9 1PE

THE study reported here has been undertaken to resolve the large discrepancies between reports of the temperature distribution in the combustion coal of a cigarette. Studies using bare thermocouples (refs 1−4 and R. G. Hook, paper presented at Twentieth Tobacco Chemists' Conference, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, November 1966) indicate that the highest temperatures occur on the central axis of the coal (the actual reported values vary considerably but are usually in the range 800−900° C during a puff, 700−800° C during the natural smoulder between puffs, and 800−850° C under steady state continuous draw conditions). Under all smoking regimes, the thermocouple-measured temperature decreases by up to 300° C along a radius from the maximum central temperature to the periphery of the coal, although one thermocouple study2 has reported the occurrence of occasional peripheral hot spots, with temperatures higher than the centre of the coal. (Ref. 2 contains a comprehensive compilation of more than forty studies of temperature measurements inside burning cigarettes prior to 1968.) In contrast, temperature measurements by X-ray observations of the melting of small metal particles placed within the cigarette5 indicate that the highest temperatures (900° C) occur at the periphery of the coal. Furthermore, measurements of the coal's surface temperature by radiation methods (ref. 5 and A. T. Lendvay, F. M. Watson III, and T. S. Laszlo, paper presented at the CORESTA/Tobacco Chemists' Joint Conference, Williamsburg, Virginia, October 1972) have recorded temperatures of about 850−920° C during a puff, 700° C (below the surface ash) during smoulder, and short-lived hot spots on the coal's surface as high as 1200° C (ref. 5).

GROSS OUT WARNING!

Human flesh requires extended exposure to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit in order to ignite. The human body, which is 85 percent water, burns outside to inside in a rapid cycle of layer-by-layer dehydration and ignition. The heat dries out the skin; the dry skin ignites. That fire dries out the next layer of muscle and fat, which then ignites. And so on, until the internal organs are consumed. The average body gives off a modest 1,000 Btu per pound of meat (burning wood, by comparison, gives off 6,000 Btu). But an extremely obese person can run up to 17,000 Btu.

GOOD JOB MIKE!!!!!!!!

The Mrs has lost 20lbs in two weeks, but she is gaining muscles, She's been on weight watchers and works out for 45 minutes to an hr every morning.

Mike,

It's great to see that your bypass is working so well for you.
At that rate, you are going to have to get a heat shrink wardrobe to keep up. :D

Mike

Mike,

Here's to a slimmer less energy efficient you :D Good Job!

PB,

Watch out the wife doesn't put on too much muscle. She might be able to whup ya before too long.

puros_bran":kbivsfd5 said:
The Mrs has lost 20lbs in two weeks, but she is gaining muscles, She's been on weight watchers and works out for 45 minutes to an hr every morning.
Good for your wife PB. I wish her all the best. I am slowly starting out by using the training bike. Then hopefully the free weights.

Mike,

Are you planning on posting "before" and "after" pictures of you in a bikini? :oops:

I also must admit that Second Hand Dieting affects everyone in the household. I have lost an indetermate amount of weight, noticed only after I realized today that it didn't hurt when I buttoned my pants. Lol. The old scale put me at 260 the new scale at 245 but I doubt the accuracy of the old analog scale as 15lbs seems like a lot to drop without intentional diet change and exercise regime.

You are right PB. I have to remind my wife to eat a "regular" dinner. She feels bad as I'm eating my 4 ounces of applesauce. I end up cooking for her so she will eat.

puros_bran":3ttqy466 said:
I also must admit that Second Hand Dieting affects everyone in the household. I have lost an indetermate amount of weight, noticed only after I realized today that it didn't hurt when I buttoned my pants. Lol. The old scale put me at 260 the new scale at 245 but I doubt the accuracy of the old analog scale as 15lbs seems like a lot to drop without intentional diet change and exercise regime.
You'd be surprised. Something as simple as eating smaller helpings, eating earlier in the evening, drinking less soda(or beer, bourbon, scotch, etc) throughout the day/evening(for the beer, et al) will have you dropping weight quickly. Fifteen pounds may be much and your scale may be off a tad, but you most likely did lose a good bit in a hurry if any or all of the above are true.

It wasn't too long ago that I was at 240lbs on a 5'6" frame. It's not as bad as it sounds because I'm a broad guy and carry weight well, but it was way...too.. much in any event. Once I made up my mind to change a few things, the first 20lbs almost literally fell off. Good feeling :)