Canadian Post Lockout

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
Howdy gents!

So I just succumbed to my first bout of PAD in a few months and acquired a sweet Northern Briar off of E-Bay: Saddle Bit Billiard

The seller is located in Canada and delivered the package to the Canadian Post promptly on the 12th... however there is now a lockout going on and the Canadian Post is SHUT DOWN.

First, I want to extend my sorrow that this is happening to Canadian Postal Workers and to the Canadian Public. Not knowing much at all about the situation, I'm curious if there are any Canadian brothers north of the US border who can inform the rest of us. I'd love to know if there is an end in sight so that I'll have some idea when: 1. Canadian Postal workers can get back to work; 2. Canadians can begin receiving their mail again; 3. I'll receive my pipe. :bounce:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

I had to refrain from bidding on a nice Cavicchi this morning for the same reason. There was a warning about a postal crisis when I went to place my bid. I wouldn't have won anyway, as my bid would have been lower than the eventual winning bid, but it's also keeping me from purchasing my second choice pipe, which is also located in Canada. On a much more serious note, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are waiting for more important things than a pipe to be delivered.
And I am in no way implying that your saddle bit billiard is unimportant, in fact, it looks quite nice. I would be concerned as well if I had something stuck in the mail in a different, albeit nearby, country.

I think you raise an interesting point. Had I realized that there was an impending postal crisis, I wouldn't have bid on this pipe, as nice as it is (and as nice as the price was). This is also preventing me from bidding on other pipes located in Canada. I can only imagine how much strain this is putting on Canadian pipe makers who, no doubt, have pipes they need to ship.

Even though this is frustrating to me, I have to agree that there are probably much more important things that people are waiting on than my pipe. I'm also very curious what's going on up there. It'd be nice to know for myself (and my pipe) but I also want to know what's causing this. Being uninformed, this sounds like it's come out of no where, which I'm sure it hasn't.

Bruins fans could've told you that Canadians would fail to deliver this week. :twisted:

Doc Manhattan":b554nm7x said:
Bruins fans could've told you that Canadians would fail to deliver this week. :twisted:
Okay, THAT is genius. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was just talking to a postal worker today. They are going back to work tomorrow, so its done. It should be back to business as normal.
Just so you know our postal service is not the best in the world... sometimes it takes ages to get a package for no apparent reason. I too have a package that shipped more than 2 weeks ago and still nothing... :evil:
Hope you get it soon...

Being a David Gilmour geek, I had been searching for a WEM Super Starfinder speaker cabinet to complete my Pink Floyd rig. As luck would have it, when I finally found one, the volcano erupted in Iceland, disrupting all airline service from the UK, including the mail. I had to spend a few nervous weeks waiting without any info. It finally arrived, and I was happy, although a little frazzled.

djf1":gv7udoxh said:
Just so you know our postal service is not the best in the world... sometimes it takes ages to get a package for no apparent reason. .
I've noticed that...
Not that the US post is perfect, but stuff from north of the border doesn't seem to get here in a big hurry.

dfj1, thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that the storm is clearing.

I too have noticed the general lack of speed exhibited by the Canadian Post. It's nothing horrendous, but for some reason those packages take a while to make it to their destination. However, make it they do and safely.

Harlock, I can hardly imagine how stressful that must've been! I would've been wracking my hands while hunched in a corner, my hair frazzled and my eyes beady, imagining that my speaker might've been engulfed in the volcanic plumes somehow! I'm glad to hear that your treasure reached you, however. May your sound system bump well!

Did any one see a pipe?

The Associated Press

Date: Friday Jun. 17, 2011 9:50 PM ET

MONTREAL — Canada Post workers frantically searched depots across the country this week in a hunt for survivors among live cargo caught in the middle of the labour dispute.

The lockout marooned live animals in its warehouses, the organization said Friday, putting stranded creatures in a mortal race against time.

"We had chicks, we had crickets, we had all kinds of animals in our system," Canada Post spokeswoman Anick Losier said, adding it's likely that leeches and reptiles are also among the missing.

"(Since the lockout began) we've tried to find any live animal in our system so that we can either return to sender or call the person to whom they were destined to, so they could pick them up."

Losier said that in at least one case, locked-out employees helped management locate missing crates of queen bees lost in a warehouse the size of 52 football fields.

But some Canada Post clients are already blaming the labour conflict for claiming hundreds of lives -- along with a chunk of their business.

djf1":dqdbxsv6 said:
I was just talking to a postal worker today. They are going back to work tomorrow, so its done. It should be back to business as normal.
Just so you know our postal service is not the best in the world... sometimes it takes ages to get a package for no apparent reason. I too have a package that shipped more than 2 weeks ago and still nothing... :evil:
Hope you get it soon...
Canada Post and the union go into talks today (June 20th), but the Federal Government is expected to issue a back to work order no later than Tuesday (21st) no-matter the outcome of the talks. They expect service to return to normal by Thursday/Friday, although I expect that there will be delays caused by the massive back-up of mail at the sorting centers.

My favourite thing about Canada Post is how they seem to think that the best route for things coming from Alberta to B.C. is via Ontario or, for some reason, Texas...explains the delays...

Things were hairy here for a short while as one of my childhood friends is getting married labour day weekend and sent out the invitations prior to the strike. The worst part is the two getting married apparently live under a rock and had no idea this was going on and only learned about it when they asked me if i got my invitation.

I didn't help the situation by saying something along these lines, "Why the hell would you send your invitations when a strike was looming?" which is a poor choice of words to use in front of a less than understanding bride. Luckily i am still the MC for now and yes my invitation is LOST in the mail. :lol:

Also Doc,

Fantastic rip on the Vancouver Nocups err Canucks. Here's to another 40 years. :twisted:

I was at the Post Office today shipping a guitar to a collector, and I overheard one of the employees telling a customer that they weren't accepting anything bound for Canada...

I'm trying to do a Peterson swap with a guy who lives in BC. I went to the USPS on Thursday, to mail my pipe to him and found out the bad news. Now, we're in a holding pattern. He also says it will be resolved by Monday.

I've been hearing that they'd reach a resolution by yesterday, but haven't seen anything reporting that they have. It'd be great if they reached an agreement by Monday! Until then, all there is to do is be patient, I suppose, and not order anything else from Canada until things have been resolved.

I've been reading a hand full of articles about this (I mean, hey, they've got my pipe), and public opinion does seem to be that this is a bunch of sillyness. Let's cross our fingers and hope that constructive communication prevails. While I wait, I'll just puff away and hope for the best.

Back to work legislation was passed Saturday evening. If all goes well the mail should start to move again.

"Labour Minister Lisa Raitt, who introduced the bill Monday said postal workers will be back on the job 24 hours after the bill becomes law. The bill still has to pass in the Senate — a process the federal government has said can be accomplished within one day — and senators will be in the red chamber Sunday to debate the proposed legislation."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/business/Back+work+legislation+passes+Postal+workers+could+back+Monday/5006958/story.html#ixzz1QMPJnaqP

i too, am waiting on a pipe from canada. ordered it a day or two before the strike some two weeks ago. perhaps it will get here someday but will think twice about getting stuff from canada--i hate waiting on something i ordered. its a shame when i can get stuff from uk and italy before a canadian shipment even when there is no strike.

oh well, in the grand scheme of things, my pipe should take a back seat.