Canadian tobacco law?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
I have a buddy in Canada and I wanted to send him a little care package and maybe through a cigar in there I feel like you know when things are given and I'm blessed with something I should bless somebody else with it too and I was going to send him some beef jerky I made and I didn't know the tobacco laws and shipping to Canada and I thought maybe somebody might know if it was legal to do so

They're pretty strict and are likely to result in customs inspecting the package and then assessing the recipient with taxes before delivering. And as they frequently inspect packages anyway, it would be fraudulent to intentionally fill out the customs form with content misinformation.

Of course Ontariopiper or one of our other Canuk members can expand on this.

Cheers,

RR

Oddly enough, you might have more problem sending the jerky than the cigar, Arky. The CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) is pretty strict about unknown plant or animal product entering the country lest a hidden pathogen get into the food system here. Homemade jerky may well get confiscated at the border.

The cigar, on the other hand, is a packaged and inspected commercial product. It may be inspected to make sure it's not harboring any pests, but otherwise it should come through the border just fine. It's possible that your buddy might be assessed duty and taxes on it, but it's equally likely that CBSA will let it through without fees.

This is the great game for Canadian pipe smokers wishing to take advantage of much lower tobacco prices in the USA. Every tin we order from SP, 4Noggins, etc is subject to duty and import taxes. Sometimes you get hit and sometimes not, but recently, it's been every order for me, so my cellar is in a holding pattern until my next trip south of the border when I can bring a few tins home personally.

Does all mail have to go through Quebec or Ontario cuz I know if it goes through Quebec it's probably going to be confiscated?

Mail routing is dependent on point of origin and destination. USPS routes international mail to the closest departure point to the sender. Where it comes across the border is, I think, based on geography and where in Canada the parcel is going.

For example, if you mail something in New England headed for Calgary, Alberta, it's likely to pop across the border at or near Montreal, then Canada Post will take it west from there. If you're mailing a parcel from California, it's likely to cross the border at Vancouver and then go it its destination.

USPS may be able to tell you how a parcel from Arkansas is routed north?

I know sent tobacco to someone up there. Guy at the post office went through the book, pipe tobacco was not listed as banned. This was a few years back however.

Can you still buy Cuban cigars in Canada?

I believe Briar Blues did a youtube video about this. People were sending him gifts of tobacco, and he was getting hit with taxes and hassles. Maybe it was only part of a video? I cannot remember.

In response to a few questions posted:

Yes, Cuban cigars are still available in Canada. :D

Sending tobacco north to Canada is not banned or illegal. It IS subject to duty and taxes, however, so sending a buddy a surprise gift of a pound of Latakia Flake may result in a hefty border charge for the recipient.

To illustrate, a 100g tin of MacBaren Golden Extra on SP costs $12.35USD, approximately $16.50CAD this morning. The same 100g tin of Golden Extra is priced at $72.95CAD at my local B&M. That's a $56.45CAD difference, made up mostly of taxes and import duties.

This is the big reason Canadian pipers here don't participate in the US-based Bombing Runs or Box Passes. We can't afford it!

Well that being the case I will make sure that I talk to him before I send them and make sure he knows that there will be a lot of tax on it

Maybe a year ago, I recall reading on a pipe message board where a rep from Smokingpipes said that canadian pipe smokers should be OK if SP orders are under 200 grams. I also read about a canadian piper who got hit w/ extra taxes for a single Sam Gawith tin.

Last year, I got hit on an order of one single pouch of Half and Half, which is very much under 200 grams. I would say to canadian pipe smokers, be ready for anything when it comes to getting hit w/ duty taxes from customs.

My record is still pretty good. The majority of my orders have gone through without any added taxes. In my experience, it is still much cheaper to occasionally get hit on some orders, when compared to buying all your pipe tobacco at regular prices within Ontario, Canada.