Can't find info on 1914 small Dunhill

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2asprins

Reaction score
Greetings all, this is my first post since joining. I just acquired a very small Dunhill, excellent condition except the stem has many tiny toothmarks around the bit. Not deep, but many. Really nice grain in a dark walnut color. My problem is that I can't find any info on this pipe. One side has Dunhill in block caps in a slight arc over London. Capitol "A" inside a circle and a bit larger than the Logo letters is off to the left. On the other side also in block caps is INNER TUBE over PATENTED 1914 and a larger 91 or upside down 16 off to the right of the letters. The bowl is a nice apple shape. The entire pipe though is only approximately 3 and 7/8 inches long, the bowl is approx. 1 and 3/16 inches tall with approx. 11/16th of an inch across the chamber. The stem is only 1 and 5/8 inches long, with the ivory dot on top and something stamped on the underside - in caps is REG. No. and underneath that is 654638, but the 8 looks upside down. Also the little "o" in No. looks like an upside down tiny capital D with a small line underneath. All the stamping on the stem is barely visable but I used a 10x loupe. The numbers are fairly clear though. The stem fits perfect and seems to not have been removed until I fought with it a while. (Very gently)
The only info I could find was that the white dot was first used in 1915. The stem looks original and fits the pipe perfectly in all manners, including length and looks of line. I'm stumped. Could this be a salesmans sample being so small? Or a prototype, or a 1914 bowl sitting in Dunhill's bin unused until 1915 and fitted with the dotted stem? It has been smoked a bit but not abused and the bowl was well taken care of with no damage, almost no cake, no odor, no scratches through the finish, just a lotta little tooth marks at the end of the stem, LOL.
Can someone help me with this enigma? I have to hit the hay soon, got a midnight shift job, but I will check back in the morning, and on and off all week. Thanks up front for any who has any info.

Dunhill Patent pipe info - search for PATENTED 1914, about halfway down the page (also marked INNER TUBE)... here

Notes on early dunhiills: here

You may want to PM Muddler, he has a brilliant link he uses for this sort of stuff, it has slipped my mind at the moment!

By the way..... Happy birthday, have a great day!

I appreciate the links, thank you. It's funny, I was on the CPCC site and glanced through that one, but I guess I was too tired at the time, I completely missed the section about stamping on the stem underside. I'm glad it was linked as it helped figure this one out. The way I see it, the bowl is original 1914 with a replaced stem in 1917 or 1918. The way this stem is filled with teeth marks I can see why it was replaced so soon. LOL. And..thanks so much for the birthday wish. I found the pipe last Saturday at a flea market with another interesting English pipe from about the same period, give or take. I didn't see the Dunhill stamp until I got home and peeled off the price sticker on the shank. I'm not a Dunhill smoker or collector so I have no clue what this could be worth. I'm now ashamed to say I got both pipes for 11 bucks. I guess it was a pretty good birthday present to say the least. Should I have this one restored or refurbished, or is it best to not do anything to it?

What I find fascinating is that the pipe was made by Dunhill during the war years. One can only wonder at the sights it's seen. Personally, I would have it restored by a professional & then smoke it. Not often one gets to smoke a century-old pipe.

Muddler":zsyn857i said:
What I find fascinating is that the pipe was made by Dunhill during the war years. One can only wonder at the sights it's seen. Personally, I would have it restored by a professional & then smoke it. Not often one gets to smoke a century-old pipe.
Ditto that!

I'm gonna' take a shot at this. I've referred to John Loring's DH book for my info. Two things caught my "eye" in your description......Patented 1914 and the arched (arc) Dunhill over London. The "Patented 1914" is a Canadian patent stamp used from 1914 (maybe, according to JL) until 1923. The "arched" Dunhill over London is unique to 1919. Methinks you have a fine 1919 Dunhill, a bit of a rarity. I would get it professionally refurbished. After that, it's your decision to smoke it or sell it!! FWIW.....FTRPLT

Greetings, I'm so glad you brought that up. I actually had done more scrounging and found an article by Michael Friedberg on that very subject right before I hit the sack yesterday. Just in case, here is the link to that:

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/xgum.htm

which by the way is on a site dealing with Lorings findings. I saved the article as a text file and checked my pipe again, and it fits the 1919 date- the best of four dates: 1917-1920. With all the new info, my stem with the Reg. No. is the original stem and the pipe is most likely the 1919 date as it is the only one that everything fits the logo correctly. It just gets better and better the more I dig thanks to all the Brothers of Briar out there replying. I really appreciate all the input and the friendliness I have found in the short time I have been on here. It's the first time I have shared my enjoyment with smoking pipes, other than family, after over 3 decades of smoking. Mainly because no one else I was aquainted with used a pipe. Thank you all for making me feel welcome. I will have to get a camera one of these days and share some pics. Have a great day all.