Capstan Blue Flake Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhipple

Reaction score
I was intrigued by the US rerelease of Capstan since one of my favorite online vendors has been hyping their exclusive deal to distribute it first. I wanted to give it a try even though it may not be the same as the Capstan of years gone by. Call me a sucker for marketing.

I also decided to write a review since a lot of people will want to see what it's like. This is the first review I've written, and my tobacco taste buds are novice at best so please keep that in mind when reading. I have also never smoked any of the older blends so I can't compare it with those.

As soon as I got my tin I popped the lid to see what was inside. The note was very Virginia like with hints of green hay, orange marmalade, and maybe just a touch if chocolate/ cavendish. I thought the flakes were very moist right out of the tin so, I pulled a couple of flakes and let them sit out whole to dry over night.

This morning the flakes were considerably dryer but still pretty moist. I thought they were dry enough and I was ready to try this tobacco. I rubbed them out a bit and loaded up my Savinelli Saturna poker. Then with a cup of coffee accompanying, I headed to the back yard to sit at my picnic table and test out this new tobacco.

False light - I didn't find a lot of flavor on the initial light, just smoke. It also took a couple of char lights to get everything lit well, despite all the time I spent drying overnight.

Top half - Once I had the bowl well lit and I was able to slow down my pace the true taste of this blend started to come through. You can defiantly taste the sweetness of the VA as the backbone of the flavors although there is a richness to it that tastes malty like porter style beer. I also detected faint hints of rum and orange.

Bottom half - I usually remove the top ash from my pipe during a smoke and I did that about half way down this bowl and then waited a few minutes before relighting. The sweetness is still there but now it takes a mildly caramel/toasted marshmallow flavor. I personally enjoyed this stage of the bowl the best.

Summary - I found the overall experience very enjoyable and the flavors are what I gravitate to when I'm in the mood for something on the sweet side. If you like Virginia based blends and have been thinking about Capstan blue then I would say it's worth a try, although at the current price point there may be less expensive blends that are comparable.

I had to use a couple of pipe cleaners during this smoke so the tobacco was pretty moist even after drying overnight. I probably should have dried it out more than I did but it was still smoke able. My plan is to leave the unsealed tin closed up on the shelf for a week and then come back to it to see how being open changes it.

Great review! I've been enjoying it as well, though I think my future purchases of it may be in ready-rubbed form. I tend to rub out my flakes anyway, and these flakes are a little larger than what will fit in most of my pipes.

Well written, well illustrated, review sw! Those flakes look a lot like those of OGS in size, color etc. Here's a hint for the next time you try some. Take a flake (or two depending on how big your bowl is) and rub it out BEFORE you dry it in a small saucer spreading it out and place it under a desk lamp to get to the amount of dry you like. It will dry out faster ( usually 10/15 minutes for me) when I do this. Thanks for the review :p

Great review - thanks!
I also like the looks of your pipe - what is it?

Moonbla - The flakes are exactly the same size as OGS. I wouldn't be surprised if the flakes were pressed in the same style presses and sliced on the same machine.

Big G - The pipe is a Savinelli Saturnia

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the review.

Great review...good enough to make me want to try this tobacco. Thanks!

These are the kinds of clean reviews the professionals use, it's a good format--for your first, well done.

I'm personally glad you tried this out of the gate without knowledge of the "old stuff," as every time I read a review from someone knowledgeable about a modern day version of a well-known mixture or blend, they end up reviewing the old tobacco more than the new one, or lambaste the new mixture for not being the original. Few are able to separate the two in that instance.

You took good pragmatic care to note your experiences! I wonder how the overseas tin I received from Beetlejazz would compare to this, if there'd be any change--the Euro-style tins are almost anchovy tins in size, these look like the more square tins we typically see here from certain MacBaren and Orlik offerings.

Kyle, the tin is exactly the same length and width as a Dunhill flake tin, but it is thinner so there is less room inside.

Nice review, very well written.

I have been smoking this blend for a week now in a bunch of different pipes and I love the stuff. I smoke flakes exclusively and this is in my top 5. I find it to be really nice and sweet with some flavors that are different than any of my other VA flakes. The tin I opened was the perfect humidity with no drying needed. I cube cut it and find it burns nice and cool using that method. I have been loading up the cellar with it because I feel this one is going to be even more amazing with some age to it. I think Mac Baren hit a home run with this one.

I have also been smoking the Gold Flake and it is also very tasty. It has a nice citrus back bone which the Blue does not. It is not as sweet as the Blue and reminds me of Dunhill flake. I prefer the Blue but will not kick the Gold out of bed. I won't be stocking as much of the Gold because it is similar to my other morning flakes but it will still have a decent representation in my cellar. It also came at the perfect humidity with no drying time needed.

Thanks for the kind words to those of you who said the review was well done.

As promised I came back to my tin of Capstan today and found my 2nd bowl to be as enjoyable as the first. I will be adding this to my list of cellar purchases to see how it does with some age on it. That is if peckinpah has left any for the rest of us. :lol: 

I still haven't tried it because I have been away on vacation, but cigrmaster says it is in his top 5. That's good enough for me. I have ordered some but don't worry, there is still plant. The great thing about Macbaren is they know how to meet demand.

Nice review! Thanks for posting - the article really makes me keen to try this flake.

Fraternally

Jers