Captain Black anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorse":hbwyvi3h said:
Sidebar story:  I remember dropping into he now gone Dunhill store in downtown SanFrancisco and purchasing a pretty large canister of their A21000 blend.  It was a great smelling vanilla aromatic. Was told it was one of their most popular blends.  Turns out it’s Lane 1Q.  

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1434/dunhill-a-21000  

You can still find Dunhill A21000 out there in bulk and once again, years down the road, I bought a quarter pound of each and did ‘em side by side.  Same same.  Identical.  It’s still an enjoyable smoke if approached with the proper attitude.  

https://www.4noggins.com/dunhill-bulk-a-21000.aspx

Cap’t Black and other OTC blends can be enjoyed in the same manner.  

But I draw the line at Grape...fer gawdz sake.
Lane 1Q was one of the first tobaccos that I ever tried in a pipe.  I had just transferred to NAS Memphis in the Navy and visited a tobacco shop off Poplar.  I can't remember the name of the shop (Tobacco Corner?) but the proprietor was a gentleman named "Elliot."   I was a new pipe smoker and looking for a mild, beginner smoke.  Elliot recommended a blend he called "Your Father's Blend."  I bought it and it formed my opinion of pipe smoking for many years.  Years later I was trying to buy some more and found that it was Lane 1Q.  While I usually smoke English/Balkan blends I always keep a stash of 1Q on the side.

Edit:  I just did a search on Tobacco Corner Memphis and found that it closed early last year.  Another classic B&M gone:

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2018/feb/6/tobacco-corner-closing-last-location/

I have a coupon for $4.00 off on any (1) pouch of Captain Black Pipe Tobacco.
I will gladly mail it to the first person who sends me their street address.
The coupon expires 12-31-22

I have been in tobacco corner a couple of times. Very nice shop. I would hit the store while my wife hit the mall. We would usually spend four days in Memphis during the Beale Street music fest in May. The last time we went to the fest was in 2016 and that's probably the last time I went to the store.

I used to frequent Elliot's shop, myself. There was always those 2 codgers in there, sitting in the middle of the shop looking at old Playboys and solving the world's problems.

It's too bad Lane could never turn 1Q into a cologne. When I worked at a tobacconist, 95/100 pipe tobacco sales were 1Q. People would sniff all the jars (22 jars), and just about everyone would end up at 1Q. It isn't just availability, but something about the scent attracts nearly everyone. They could have given Drakkar and Polo a run for their money. Maybe even a shaving soap. It was likely my first pipe tobacco. That's the other thing about 1Q. It's the safest recommendation you can make to a new pipe smoker. I know the pipe bug didn't bite me until I tried an english blend. That's when my life changed.