Captain Black Premium Edition (These Good Ol' Days Moments?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I started smoking a pipe 27 years ago with Sail Green and Blue. The father of my girlfriend of the time suggested these as this is what he had smoked when he tried the pipe. A few months later, I tried some Borkum Riff Whisky, Cherry Cavendish and Cherry Liquor. About a year into pipe smoking, I discovered the Amphora line. Of all of them, Black Cavendish and Full Aroma were my favorites.

Then, about a year and 1/2 into pipe smoking, I discovered Captain Black Royal and loved it (although, being a cigarette smoker, back then, I thought it was really weak on the taste/Vit N side). The ladies I interacted with loved it a lot too. I was, to them, the good looking guy that had some style. And, boy, did I enjoy that. ;)

Of course, I loved my Captain Black so much back then as, really, I did not know any better when it came to pipe tobaccos (or pipes). So, for the most part, i would go for Captain Black and Amphora Black Cavendish (when I could get some; it was already hard to get back then). When I wanted something different, I went for Amphora Black Cavendish or Full Amphora. Eventually, I found out new tobaccos in the '90s such as Mac Baren, Dunhill, Peterson, etc. After a bit of exploring, I quickly steered clear from tobaccos such as Captain Black. I realized how "cheap" they were.

After this major change in my smoking habits, it still happened, once in a blue moon, that I would grab a pouch of CB, Amphora or Borkum Riff. Just for when I simply wanted to pack a pipe without any fuzz (prepare the flakes; cut the plug; etc). I realized, with time, that these moments were probably just a form of nostalgy about my beginning days as a pipester. In these moments, I would go to the grocery store and grab a pouch of Sail, Captain Black, Amphora or Borkum Riff. Just for good Ol' days' sake. I packed a few bowls and, well, had enough and put the rest aside and forget about it.

Well, I was in this precise, nostalgic, state of mind when I got up a few days ago. As I was browsing the eTobacco shops, I decided to order a tin of each of the Captain Black Premium Edition line (along with a pouch of CB Royal). Honestly, I do not expect them to be any "Premium", or better quality that the classic line. I don't expect, either, to love them crazy after a few bowls. I'm not much of an aro fan anymore, besides a few exceptions. And I know how these tobaccos don't taste like tobacco. And a tobacco tasting like tobacco is key for me.

That doesn't matter in this case. What matters to me is, I think, that going back to those good ol' days is important. During those days, as I didn't know shit about tobaccos, it was much easier to pack a bowl with a "cheap" tobacco and enjoy the experience. Because I didn't have to worry about my packing technique, or the moisture level of the tobacco or standards of tobacco quality. I didn't know about all this. I just packed the pipe and lighted it up, then enjoyed it all the way. Yea, my opinion of tobaccos such as CB, or Amphora, Sail, etc, has changed a lot since these good ol' days and it's not very nice. It struck me earlier today that I am absolutely not being fair to put these tobaccos down like I do! Because these tobaccos do deserve a lot more respect than what they get from me (I don't know about you guys, so I won't talk on anyone's behalf).

The respect they deserve has nothing to do with their quality. It goes way beyond this, or any other technical point. And I will tell you why: it's thanks to tobaccos like Captain Black, Sail, Amphora and Borkum Riff that I got into this hobby and developed the enormous love I have today for pipes and tobaccos. It's thanks to these tobaccos that today, I still smoke my pipe and enjoy it more and more! That means a lot. So, to Captain Black, Sail, Borkum Riff and Aphora: thank you for making me a pipe smoker. It would have not happened without you.

I received my tins yesterday morning. And I am looking forward to this Captain Black Premium Edition line and get a "new" taste of these good ol' days. Yea, I'll probably just have a few pipefuls of each tin. But this is one case where, for me, it's not about quantity and smoking the whole thing.

Don't sell the "quality" of OTCs short; my understanding is that it's perfectly good tobacco. Until I took up the pipe at age 16 I thought the only pipe tobacco was Half & Half. I still think of that scent as the way a pipe "ought" to smell, because that was what the various males in my family smoked, and that is what is embedded in my skull. In a dream world, say, where I might have signed on to an extended Antarctic expedition with Shackleton, and where I was limited to only one pound of tobacco to take with me, I do believe it would be the old Revelation. Smoke whatever you like, etc.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point of view? :)

Specifically "Don't sell the quality of OTCs short?" Comment to me, or just a general comment? That's what I meant.

Good on you JD. I'm a bit sentimental so think it's important to recognise and celebrate your roots. Please excuse me as I don't mean to hijack, but my current understanding is that Capt Black is the same 7 Seas Regular? Can anyone confirm this?

Junkyard Dawg":8azh0pek said:
I'm not quite sure I understand your point of view? :)

Specifically "Don't sell the quality of OTCs short?" Comment to me, or just a general comment? That's what I meant.
Apparently I didn't understand yours. I was merely going by your words. To wit:

Junkyard Dawg":8azh0pek said:
...I did not know any better when it came to pipe tobaccos...After a bit of exploring, I quickly steered clear from tobaccos such as Captain Black... I realized how "cheap" they were...Honestly, I do not expect them to be any "Premium", or better quality that the classic line...Yea, my opinion of tobaccos such as CB, or Amphora, Sail, etc, has changed a lot since these good ol' days and it's not very nice...The respect they deserve has nothing to do with their quality.

Stick":kj3sztgj said:
my current understanding is that Capt Black is the same 7 Seas Regular?  Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, Stick, and even further. The "classic" line (original) such as CB White (Regular), Gold, Red (Cherry), and Blue (Royal) are paid an homage by Mac Baren with the 7 Seas line.  Personally, so far, I prefer the MB offerings. But I have to try that pouch of CB Royal I bought along as tobaccos such as Borkum Riff Whisky are much better since they are produced by Scandinavian Tobacco. Maybe it will be the case with the CB classic line?

Junkyard Dawg":if3yo6i2 said:
Stick":if3yo6i2 said:
my current understanding is that Capt Black is the same 7 Seas Regular?  Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, Stick, and even further. The "classic" line (original) such as CB White (Regular), Gold, Red (Cherry), and Blue (Royal) are paid an homage by Mac Baren with the 7 Seas line.  Personally, so far, I prefer the MB offerings. But I have to try that pouch of CB Royal I bought along as tobaccos such as Borkum Riff Whisky are much better since they are produced by Scandinavian Tobacco. Maybe it will be the case with the CB classic line?
Thanks JD.

This is where I started out too, and whilst I have matured to enjoy the classic Va flakes and VaPers, I'm still drawn to some Regular from time to time.   In fact I'm currently packing to visit the in law's in Wales and upon putting together my pipe kit, found myself dropping in a packet of Regular too.

How do you find the Royal compares to the Regular JD?

Royal has a smaller (as in thinner) cut than Regular. Its aroma is less strong while still being similar to Regular's. For the rest, they are alike.

Good luck with the in - laws. :clown:

Junkyard Dawg":dfw9tp3l said:
Stick":dfw9tp3l said:
I think generaly, OTC blends/mixtures are so many times given a bad rap by some of the younger more "connoissuer" cognisenti who feel they must justify being a "real" pipe smoker. These blends/mixtures would not have been around and still sell as they do if their were not something being done right with them to appeal to the folks who smoke 'em! If I could still smoke all burley mixtures, I would STILL be smoking Granger the mixture I started my pipe smoking journey with as it is STILL a FINE all Burley smoke !! So buy and enjoy your CB with NO feeling you have to justify your like for it !! :twisted: :twisted:

Monbla256, you forgot the "s" in "connesuer". :p

I agree on your point. I also wonder sometimes if these OTCs have been around for so long simply because, for example, in a small town in Arkansas or Montana, the only tobaccos available 40, 50 0r 80 years ago were the OTCs; and, as going regularly in big towns to visit big shots' tobacco shops for "fancy" tobaccos purchases was not an option because of both time and money, then that really only left people with OTCs.

Regardless, what really matters is that people could smoke their pipes. :D

I have corrected this just for you  :twisted: You also forgot to mention the o and i as well  :twisted: :twisted:  Another thing about "back in the day" smoking was usually a person smoked one, maybe two blends at the most as "his" tobacco rather that the ping-pong style of tobacco smoking as is done by many of today's "connoisseur" smokers !! :twisted: :twisted: I have a nieghbor who is now near 90 who has lived in my "hood" since I was a child growing up here who STILL smokes his pipe and STILL smokes Half / Half which is ALL I've seen him smoke for over 60 years !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":acuttyo0 said:
I have corrected this just for you  :twisted: You also forgot to mention the o and i as well  :twisted: :twisted:  Another thing about "back in the day" smoking was usually a person smoked one, maybe two blends at the most as "his" tobacco rather that the ping-pong style of tobacco smoking as is done by many of today's "connoisseur" smokers !! :twisted: :twisted: I have a nieghbor who is now near 90 who has lived in my "hood" since I was a child growing up here who STILL smokes his pipe and STILL smokes Half / Half which is ALL I've seen him smoke for over 60 years !! :twisted: :twisted:
:lol!: I wanted to respect the way you write that word in your area. ;)

Yes, back then people had 1 or 2 pipes and 1 or 2 tobaccos. They did not make their lives complicated when it came to that.

A lot of these old timers must be looking at us today, with our 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 + pipes in some cases, and our 10, 20, 50, 100 lbs + tobacco cellars and seriously wonder what's wrong with us.