Cardboard Tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
I searched the Forum, but could not find views on my question, so here goes: Some of the American round pipe tobacco tins (cans) have a body made from cardboard with a foil lining. The bottoms are plated steel (at least a magnet sticks to the bottoms), and the tops are the aluminum pull-tabs style. Question: Can these types of tins be cellared for a period of years, or should they be emptied upon purchase and put into Mason / Ball jars for long-term storage. Anyone have good / bad experience cellaring these types of tins? I am referring to the "Hearth and Home" type tins, not the McClelland or C&D tins. Thanks, chaps.

Given who we are, I can see this thread growing to great length.

Lets start with jousting and only switch to broadsword after two pages.

these tins are fine for storage to the point that any fermentation that occurs causes the tin to swell and potentially disrupts the seal. I have decade old Rattrays tins that are fine, and Burley should keep this way indefinitely.

I've opened several cans of SWR in the cardboard tins that were 9-12 years old and they were absolutely fine. I might worry about transferring to jars if it were a Virginia heavy blend though. I have a can of Field and Stream that if it were in a cardboard can would have exploded years ago. FWIW

Jim

I just received 6 pounds of a special tobacco that I truly love, all in coated paper tins (8oz.). While I'm sure they will cellar just fine, I transferred almost all of it to ceramic containers that I buy at the thrift store for $1.99 each. Clean them out, make sure the bail-type wire apparatus is strong and functioning...bingo, permanent storage that looks good. Slap some labels on them with date cellared and you are a happy camper.