Cardiac Lab Results & Weight Loss Journal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Feelin’ generally tired and get winded when I go up a couple flights of stairs, Doc.

Hmmm. We should rule out a cardiac problem. That’s the one where you fall over dead in the parking lot. The other possible causes don’t pose a catistrophic danger, and we can deal with ‘em over time.

So...I go in for a series of tests ending with an Ultra Sound and couple of MRI’s and a related chemically induced cardiac stress thing. Took a month of scheduling to get it all done. Met some pretty cute nurses in the process. Always fun.

Results are in. I’m totally healthy. Cardiac structure and valves all good and working just as they should. The arteries that feed the heart muscle show no sign of being even partially blocked. Nice. Now I’ll likely get whacked by a bus somewhere. Treatment plan: stay away from buses!

So now I’m on a diet to drop about a hundred pounds and remember what it’s like to exercise. First exercise...run like crazy when you see a bus.   :D

But I’m glad the insides are lookin’ good.

Blackhorse":kc5obv1x said:
Feelin’ generally tired and get winded when I go up a couple flights of stairs, Doc.

Hmmm. We should rule out a cardiac problem. That’s the one where you fall over dead in the parking lot. The other possible causes don’t pose a catistrophic danger, and we can deal with ‘em over time.

So...I go in for a series of tests ending with an Ultra Sound and couple of MRI’s and a related chemically induced cardiac stress thing. Took a month of scheduling to get it all done. Met some pretty cute nurses in the process. Always fun.

Results are in. I’m totally healthy. Cardiac structure and valves all good and working just as they should. The arteries that feed the heart muscle show no sign of being even partially blocked. Nice. Now I’ll likely get whacked by a bus somewhere. Treatment plan: stay away from buses!

So now I’m on a diet to drop about a hundred pounds and remember what it’s like to exercise. First exercise...run like crazy when you see a bus.   :D

But I’m glad the insides are lookin’ good.
Surely you're exaggerating here Dave. 100 lbs overweight? That's like, a whole lot........

Yes of course it's good to know your exam results came in A-OK. And there's some things you can do to help your overall health. We all can, me including.

But more to the point, you were on top of things and went to the Doc and got it sorted out. Many men of our general age blow this off with nary a nod, and then end up in the soup. So you have that going for you!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Yep, we're at that age BH!!! I just got home from another "training session' at my gym. But gotta' keep it up! "Use it or lose it" pertains to lots of things concerning us older fellers'!!! All my latest lab work and/or medical checkups say I'm A-OK. Doesn't mean I won't fall over tomorrow or , as you say, get run over by a damn bus!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Exaggerating? Me? Never!

I am encouraged by the success of my son who was enjoying life via Ale and Burgers. He completely changed his diet and exercise patterns and has lost nearly 60 pounds so far. He wants to drop another 10 before he heads off to Tokyo on a vacation with friends. He’s 6’ tall and got us to 270 before changing everything. He uses My Fitness Pal and has it linked to his Fitbit...does weights and treadmill every other day with swimming in between.

Me? I’m 6’ 2” and was up to as much as 315. So dropping 100 off that would be just fine Rande. I’ve been a hiker and runner most of my life but after injuring my feet about ten years ago have been pretty much sedentary. That, plus not changing one’s diet will do it.

Glad to hear about your lab results.  I know loosing weight is hard.  Especially when someone like me likes to eat!  A lot!!! I'm glad I'm not as heavy as I used to be, but it's hard to keep it off. Good luck to you with loosing weight.

Congratulations on the good results..As far as the weight loss Sugar and Carbs are bad guys.

I think the whole bus avoidance thing is a sound strategy.

Nice to hear that you've got a clean bill of cardiac health. Keep it rolling.

BB

When I was doing server room stuff for a while there, we used to talk about the #2 bus test. If you have some project that could not survive your being suddenly out of the picture, it was not much good.

As a consequence, I watch out for buses. I always look for the number as well. It is the #2 bus that seems to have legendary status.

FWIW, I have lost over 100 lbs since January 2016. That weight thing sneaks up on you. You put on 3 pounds a year for 35 years, and suddenly you think, "I have to do something about this." I am now in the same size jeans I was wearing when I got out of college in 1981.

That’s exactly it. One merely has to change what and how much they ingest in a given period of time...and burn a bit more as well. It’s not rocket science. Well, the glycemic index thing helps things along quite a bit if you pay attention to it. But I find kick starting things just doing meal substitution...subbing in high protein shakes twice a day and eating one normal meal plus snacks twice a day. I use My Fitness Pal software and track everything that goes in for calories, protein, fat, sodium, etc. I’ve dropped 15 pounds so far in just a couple of weeks and have no doubt that this time next year my results will mirror that of our good chaplain. And so it goes.

Seven and a quarter stone is a lot to drop. Might want to pace that loss over some time. Bear in mind too, that if you're going to 'work it off', you will stand the risk of gaining muscle mass, so you may not need to drop that much off if you're getting fit.

Always good to get good news from the MD. We are fortunate also to have technologies at our disposal that can help keep us in better shape. Best wishes on your endeavor!

You go mate, that's an easily achievable target. I've lost 100 pounds since April 2016 and now simply by cutting carbs and sugar and upping fiber and fat. Wasn't particularly strict either, had a naughty day each week where anything was fair go food wise and still enjoying a fine ale or two every couple of days. Oh and bugger all excercise 

Good luck with it all. :cheers:

Cheers

Tim

Checking in with current status. This’ll keep me honest.

Starting weight Jan. 26 = 315 lbs.

Current status March 5 = 293 lbs.

Loss thus far = 22 lbs.

Percentage of goal achieved = 22%

Duration thus far = 5 weeks out of 50 weeks

Loss per week = 4 lbs.

Analysis = 22% of total goal achieved in 10% of total time.

Still doing meal substitution with protein shakes twice daily + two snacks and a normal dinner. Targeting two pounds a week as target.

:cheers:  Woohoo that's some awesome progress right there. 

Keep at it mate, you'll get to your target in no time. 

Cheers

Tim

ill tell younwht worked for me 100 percent protine diet i cut everything but protine and now my pants dont stay on my butt i did nothing more than eat meat

Blackhorse":xgtvmoei said:
Checking in with current status. This’ll keep me honest.

Starting weight Jan. 26 = 315 lbs.

Current status March 5 = 293 lbs.

Loss thus far = 22 lbs.

Percentage of goal achieved = 22%

Duration thus far = 5 weeks out of 50 weeks

Loss per week = 4 lbs.

Analysis = 22% of total goal achieved in 10% of total time.

Still doing meal substitution with protein shakes twice daily + two snacks and a normal dinner. Targeting two pounds a week as target.
Well, now I know where the 22 pounds I gained came from....