Castello nomenclature on my sea rock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Got a KK sea rock prince direct from a dealer in Italy. Some of the nomenclature I don't understand, wondering if anyone can help.

The standard stampings are there: 'Castello sea rock briar' - 'KK' in an oval - 'kino' in an oval - 'made in Cantu Italy' - 'Hand made Castello' on the ferrule with no # designation

There is no shape stamp which isn't too uncommon, it's a classic prince which is the shape # 24, but what IS there is the letter 'N' rather than the 'US' stamp (Iknow I bought it overseas but do not know what 'N' stands for) followed by the pi symbol and the number 6. What is odd is that this pipe does not have the pi shape oddities on the surface of the pipe, looks like a perfectly normal sea rock.

Any help on 'N' '6' or pi without the smooth circular variations?

More pics. The dealer, a very reputable and knowledgeable man, did also claim this to be a prince (although it kind of looks a little apple-ish in some of the pics, in the hand it's definitely a prince) and that it was a Pi stamped pipe, but that part puzzles me :scratch: (It is also one of the best smoking pipes I have, a true gem!)

Puff, π generally reflects that there is something "different" about the carving on a Sea Rock. It could be a smooth panel, or the circular spots, like on my 55, or something only known by the mind of the guy who stamped it. Previous to the π stamping, the shape number was prefixed by a 3, as in 355. The other prefix digit is a 2, which represents some significant deviation from the shape. I'm not sure when the π came into being, but I've got examples of both types of stamping.

The N is for Novelli in Rome, the shop to which the pipe was originally sold. The Italian dealers each have their own initial, and pipes destined for the US market are stamped "US."

I just updated my collection page. There are a couple more interesting pieces I've gotten in the past months, and there are a couple waiting to be photographed. I'm STILL in my phase of Castello madness, and have been selling off a lot of other stuff to get more of them. Fantastic smoking pipes!

Here I thought the n represented the GLPn factor. This particular pipe has a GLPn of 3.14*6 and therefore is never going to make it to Greg's collection.

OK that was a stretch for a joke... my coffee isn't kicking in yet.

The sea rock with the smooth spots is probably the most fascinating finish of any I've ever seen.

To Clarify, the stampings in question are on the far left, the first 3 stamps from left to right, in this photo The N is capitalized, and the 3 stamps are separated by double spacing, roughly.

So N is for Novelli, the Pi symbol signifies something unusual (?) with the pipe, what is 6?

Jim,

I'm not sure, I have no hard data to back this up but 6 may be the # designation that should be on the bit. I sure wish there were a comprehensive gathering of information on the Castello pipe. Perhaps Greg could write a thing or two about the subject, I can even envision a beautifully leather bound edition for the coffee table...

Puff Daddy":atl9kmdk said:
To Clarify, the stampings in question are on the far left, the first 3 stamps from left to right, in this photo The N is capitalized, and the 3 stamps are separated by double spacing, roughly.

So N is for Novelli, the Pi symbol signifies something unusual (?) with the pipe, what is 6?
Okay, I did some checking after I got email correcting what I'd posted. The N is for Noli in Milan, not Novelli, whose stamp is N1. Still no idea about the digit.

The N is to designate Noli, in Milan. They are one of the best known shops in Europe, and are located in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele to the left of the Cathedral.

The pipe was originally sold to Noli, but I suspect the pipe came from some other shop, so why don't you contact the place that you bought it and ask him to interpret the stamping, or ask him to contact Castello.

Years ago Castello began stamping their pipes with a code to indicate the dealer to whom the pipe was originally sold, in order that the factory could better control the distribution of their pipes. Castello did not want shops to re-sell to unauthorized dealers, nor to sell on the gray market (ie the US). Castello is very protective of their dealers and strives to protect their brand.

Mike

Thanks Greg and Mike! I did send an email to the seller and am awaiting a response.

Dredging up an old post here.
I also have "Kino" on my Sea Rock, recently acquired. Is that the carvers name or a shop name?

riff raff":g63rtcid said:
I also have "Kino" on my Sea Rock, recently acquired. Is that the carvers name or a shop name?
From smokingpipes:

In the early 80’s the managing of Castello was taken over by Carlo Scotti’s son-in-law, Franco “Kino” Coppo and his daughter Savina Scotti and, under their guidance, Castello hit a peak production of over 8,000 pipes a year by the end of the decade. Kino instituted some changes in the company’s marks and grading systems. The company began to use the letter “K” to denote the grain quality of a smooth pipe, and the size designation of a carved.

Thanks, I found a similar information page googling last night.

Harlock999":h7dci7j4 said:
riff raff":h7dci7j4 said:
From smokingpipes:

In the early 80’s the managing of Castello was taken over by Carlo Scotti’s son-in-law, Franco “Kino” Coppo and his daughter Savina Scotti and, under their guidance, Castello hit a peak production of over 8,000 pipes a year by the end of the decade. Kino instituted some changes in the company’s marks and grading systems. The company began to use the letter “K” to denote the grain quality of a smooth pipe, and the size designation of a carved.