Cavendish= Aromatic??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
I tried a search and please forgive me if I am just dense, but I could not find a definitive answer:

If an aromatic is flavored and cavendish means it is flavored, should anything with topping/cavendish be smoked only in an aromatic pipe?

Does G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast then count as a aromatic?
It does not seem so, but I cannot articulate why?

Anyone?

Davey the Ever So Slightly Confused

I smoke aromatics ,burleys,virginia's all in the same pipes
But the ones I smoke dont leave ghosts

Some aromatics will leave a smell in a pipe that will interfere with other tobacco's its called ghosting im sure more experianced than me will pop in here with the ones that are really bad about it

For me strong latkia tobaccoes leave a ghost an I try to keep those to certain pipes

As Dave suggested, it's not everything that's going to leave an after-stench in your pipe. Of the blends I smoke regularly, only 2 require a separate pipe for fear of ghosting. The rest I can smoke in whatever, pretty much.

Davey,

Cavendish refers to a specific cut of the tobacco leaf, i.e., cavendish cut tobacco. It doesn't refer to flavoring. You can have sweetened cavendish and unsweetened cavendish. Sometimes it can be a VA leaf and sometimes it might be a burley leaf. It just so happens that most aromatics are a cavendish cut leaf that has been topped or flavored with something.

I do not smoke aromatics in my regular rotation pipes. I have a couple of pipes set aside for the occasional aromatic.

Davey":tj9s8rgf said:
I tried a search and please forgive me if I am just dense, but I could not find a definitive answer:

If an aromatic is flavored and cavendish means it is flavored, should anything with topping/cavendish be smoked only in an aromatic pipe?

Does G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast then count as a aromatic?
It does not seem so, but I cannot articulate why?
Having cavendish in a blend doesn't necessarily make it an aromatic. Haddo's and Dunhill 965 both have cavendish in them, for example, but they are not aromatics by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd say that an aromatic is a blend that is dominated by a topping rather than the tobacco itself. Sometimes the toppings will stick around in a pipe, sometimes not. I like Butternut Burley, but my BB pipe is useless for anything else. Even other aromatics taste like BB in that pipe.

Barbary Coast does sit right on the edge between aromatic and non-aromatic in my opinion. The tin aroma and flavor on light-up are dominated by the brandy topping but after a few minutes the topping fades and the perique strengthens. After that point the flavor is just sweetened burley and perique.

Oh, how I love BC. Too bad my tin ran out last week. :(

And so the education continues....

Thanks all

Davey

Cavendish is a way to process a tobacco (or a mixture of tobaccos). It can be sweetened or unsweetened, with or without topping (or flavoring). It is used in many aromatic and non-aromatic blends.