Cavendish Attitude

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
I have a very negative attitude about cavendish and I'm not sure if it is justified. Since some less than taste satisfying experiences early in my piping days I have automatically turned away from any tobaccos that list cavendish in the blend. Mostly now I am smoking English blends and a few flakes. Always trying new options and wouldn't be surprised if there is, indeed, cavendish in some but I just don't have a high regard for it. I think of it as a filler.

Is this a reasonable position?

Are there good cavendishes out there?

Thanks

clueless":obqldhi1 said:
I have a very negative attitude about cavendish and I'm not sure if it is justified. Since some less than taste satisfying experiences early in my piping days I have automatically turned away from any tobaccos that list cavendish in the blend. Mostly now I am smoking English blends and a few flakes. Always trying new options and wouldn't be surprised if there is, indeed, cavendish in some but I just don't have a high regard for it. I think of it as a filler.

Thanks
You said you smoke English style blends? Cavendished 'bacs are used often to smooth out the Latakia in them such as the brown cavendish used in Dunhill's 965 :p You've probably been smoking some of it in many blends and were'nt aware of it :p Remember, a "cavendish" 'bac is NOT a type or species of 'bac, rather a manner of prepareing it. :p

While I think there are probably some cavendishes out there that are worth smoking by their lonesome. On their own, the ones I have tried have never really done much for me either.

I have a sack of quality Stokkebye Black Cav for my own blending, and yeah it's not by any means mind blowing tobacco. However, it's better than smoking straight Latakia, which for obvious reasons is a condiment tobacco.

As Monbla mentioned, 965 is a good example of where cavendish is used to create more body and soften out the Latakia resulting in a nice medium mixture. Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard which I prefer over 965 also comes to mind.

There's also an unflavored black cavendish in Haddo's Delight. That mixture will put hair on your chest. However that's probably due to all the perique in it and if it weren't for the cavendish in this one, it would probably be a very rough smoke to endure.

Filler tobacco? Perhaps. But definitely not without purpose, and I wouldn't avoid a mixture just because it's listed as an ingredient.

It's whether or not the Cavendish(ed) tobacco is made properly, then sweetened/flavored or left alone. The good stuff is used as a way to build body in a mixture without upping/altering the flavor, or to tone down already intense tobacco. Smoking it by itself and expecting a swell joyride is probably going to be a real challenge...

...*shrug*

8)

what's the difference between stoving and the added heat to make cavendish. what's the difference between regular cav. and toasted cav.?

Russ Ouellette once":4ja0khwu said:
There is no tobacco plant called Cavendish. These tobaccos were originally made by pressing tobacco leaves together, sometimes using heat as part of the process, and frequently by adding flavorings (liquors, syrups, etc.). The tobacco was usually allowed a fair amount of time to mature, marry and assimilate the flavorings, then it would be cut like a flake, and normally tumbled out so it looked like a ribbon cut or a broken flake. Black Cavendish confuses the issue further by using cut tobacco that is typically treated with sugar water and then toasted until nearly black, which caramelizes the sugars and gives the tobacco a brown sugar aroma. What’s confusing is that most of the tobaccos we know of as Black Cavendish (Lane’s BCA, Altadis ZBC) are toasted Black Cavendish with flavorings added, which makes them moist, whereas toasted Black Cavendish tends to be dry. Making things even worse is that through common usage the term has come to mean any tobacco that has been flavored with a casing and/or top dressing. For the record, Cavendishes are usually made of a Burley or Virginia base (often using both) with the possible addition of some Oriental tobaccos as well.
This is a general information base I have come to understand as well as to the basics of Cavendish tobacco.

Cornell & Deihl's Tuggle Hall and Red Virgina Cavendish are two more blends you may want sample. They'rrrrre GREAT! :cheers:

I'll second the recommendation for Tuggle Hall. I've got a jar of 16 year old C&D TH (#965) and it is indeed great.

McClelland Navy Cavendish is worth trying. It's got rum topping / casing, but it wouldn't be confused with Captain Black. High quality tobacco one wants to smoke slowly to enjoy.

clueless":6qby6cmc said:

Thanks
There are some pindling point here about filler, what's filler(which),? in a drug composition like a surup or a tab, a quail and neutralize material which used for increase the qauntity(only), filler sense of having but in a orange juice can we say water is filler??

dr pipe":4jh151bh said:
There are some pindling point here about filler, what's filler(which),? in a drug composition like a surup or a tab, a quail and neutralize material which used for increase the qauntity(only), filler sense of having but in a orange juice can we say water is filler??
Your last analogy fits. Filler adds bulk to something without adding flavor or strength; it may dilute the flavors contributed by other elements. It is not necessarily a bad thing (as in the orange juice example).

I think the reason I like Northwoods so much is because of the cavendish. Very tasty.