CBD oil cor dogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Morning guys. Our 2 shih thus, Molly and Gracie, are 15 and 14. Gracie, the younger one, was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago. We did chemo for her and thankfully she is still with us. However, she is showing some effects from the chemo. Loss of hearing, some dementia, etc. A neighbor down the street has a 16 year old and told us she has been giving her dog CBD oil for the last year or so. Anyone on here have an older dog that has tried this? Did it help? Any advice or feedback is welcomed. Brand, dosage, etc. The one the neighbor is using is quite expensive. Thanks for any help.

Does it work better than ibuprofen or acetaminophen? Because it works for YOU does that make it a drug of choice for dogs?

PS: I wonder if her dementia and hearing loss might be just due to age. She’s REALLY old after all.

Blackhorse, just hoping we could make her life a bit less stressful. There is very little info available as no studies have been done with dogs. That is why I asked for personal input from others. Yes, some of it could be age, but our other dog is a year older and has no symptoms at all. Also the conditions did not appear till after she had chemo. We plan to ask our vet about it before doing anything.

Hmmmm. What works for one dog does necessarily work for all dogs. CBD Oil is a billion dollar industry that has very little to no scientific evidence that support claims from being excellent as a universal cure-all down to working well to reduce pain. There seems to be a good understanding of how it works at the neurotransmitter site…but still nothing really on effectiveness on how well it works in humans.

Pretty good article from Harvard Med. on this overall issue:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ence-doesnt-match-the-marketing-2020092321003

I know a couple people who use CBD for anxiety and for helping them sleep. They say it helps. Whether it's nothing more than a mind game and placebo, I don't think it really matters...as long as it isn't doing harm in the long term. I also know a couple people who give their dogs CBD when they're traveling back and forth, both in planes and cars, from the midwest to their Florida homes. They say it helps keep them calm, but not drug them into listlessness. I trust they know their dogs. If they say it does something, it must. Know another person with chronic pain, and they finally took their health into their own hands, ie nothing the doctors recommended was working, and CBD seems to be helping with their pain. Again, a placebo that fools them? Who cares, as long as it isn't destroying their liver or whatever else. A wonder drug? Could be. Might not be, but if it successfully fools the mind, why not?

It's less regulated than the vitamin industry...boooo, the boogeyman, Marijuana. I'll ask the person with the chronic pain what they buy and get back to you.

*edit: I should add that the older person with chronic pain is in their upper 70s, grew up being sold how demonic marijuana is. They really labored over trying CBD. Weird how society can turn something as benign as a weed into this moral and ethical dilemma. The last time I heard, they were free of all that BS.

Last edited:
All true. Read a pretty good article by the head vet for the AKC that talked about the potential pros and cons. If we did decide to try it, would go very slow and check her reactions.

For humans I’ve read that a 1:1 mix of CBD & THC provides the best result. Whatever.

My own personal story? While in the military I had two wisdom teeth literally chiseled out of my jaw. They gave me regular Tylenol or the equivalent for post surgical pain. The pain was like nothing I’d ever experienced and nothing has ever been even close…not even two different bouts with kidney stones or a broken foot (rollover fracture, snapped the head off my outside metatarsal). The thing that saved me was some pretty potent marijuana…smoked. I was well experienced with marijuana at that point in my life and it dulled the pain right down like throwing water on a campfire. I know we’re not talking about THC here, but it does go to show that non-traditional stuff can and does work.

All true. Read a pretty good article by the head vet for the AKC that talked about the potential pros and cons. If we did decide to try it, would go very slow and check her reactions.
Sounds like you’re taking a cautious approach. Let us know how things go?

Another personal story: Many years ago I had two Dalmatians…strikingly beautiful dogs…brother and sister. The male, a bit more inquisitive, got into “a friend’s” stash of marijuana and ate “some”. No clue how much but the effects were significant. The dog started acting like a cat…staring off into space. He walked around like a drunken sailor on shore leave…like a zombie still with his sea legs. He was obviously higher than a kite. It lasted about a day. I very nearly strangled the guy that left his stuff out. Idiot.

Absolutely would go very slow and cautious. Our little Gracie already exhibits some of this behavior. She will go outside to pee and just stare into space for several minutes. Hard to tell if she is in pain though. Tried some Tramadol, a low strength sedative, but didn't have much effect. We know she is deteriorating and want her last days to be as easy as possible. She is such a sweetie, and as much as we hate the thought of losing her, we have reconciled ourselves to the fact that she is essentially in "hospice". Just want to keep her pain free and comfortable as long as possible.

I used to have a female…half Golden Retriever, a quarter Black Lab and a quarter Rottweiler…named Gracie. A great family member. She would bark at weirdos. Seriously. Anyone that looked or walked “different” would be acknowledged with a major outburst. Usually scared the heck out of them…and us. She had a huge bark. That’s all it ever took. Perfect.