Celebrating 55 years of Pipe Smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterD

Reaction score
...today marks my 55th year of pipe smoking...I have never regretted that decision and I am as passionate today...well, perhaps even more so, than at any other time...

...It is not a habit...but a way of Life...  

Congratulations Peter, that's quite an accomplishment and not many can now or will ever be able to make that claim. Well done Sir!  :)

AJ

Wow. You got me beat, though not by much. I started when I was 16 and was told it would stunt my growth. Good thing it did; I'm 6'4" and have always had difficulties getting into Ferraris, Jaguars, etc., and it ticks me off. Congratulations.

Congratulations Sir, May you be blessed with many more years of fine pipes and wonderful tobacco.

congrats - i started at 15 - now coming up to 63. I had a couple of breaks though.  That latakia just keeps me coming back.

Enjoy many, many more!!!

Congratulations Peter! and may your tobacco always be dry and your pipe never sour.;)

Richard Burley":ya99ynau said:
... was told it would stunt my growth. Good thing it did; I'm 6'4"...
Probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long while. Tickled me pink that did.

Congrats Peter, that's a long time to be smoking a pipe.

If you could narrow it down, what's the one 'golden nugget' you've learnt (about pipe smoking) in that time?

If you could narrow it down, what's the one 'golden nugget' you've learnt (about pipe smoking) in that time?

Stick":j9toxlzm said:

...my 'golden nugget' occurred many years ago when I realized that with pipes and tobacco there is no destination...only a continuing journey...

Wow!! 55 years, good for you!! I'm at 52 this September; didn't start 'til I was 18. Just curious...Do you remember your first pipe and tobacco? :cheers: FTRPLT

Congrats! I smoked my first pipe (a basket pipe of course) in 1966, so this year is my 50th anniversary. So. right behind you, sir.

ftrplt":hlfm353n said:
Wow!! 55 years, good for you!! I'm at 52 this September; didn't start 'til I was 18. Just curious...Do you remember your first pipe and tobacco? :cheers: FTRPLT
...my first pipe was a DR. Graybow rustic billiard shape...with a tin of PA...total cost was $1.10...

PeterD":f1jodt8g said:
ftrplt":f1jodt8g said:
...my first pipe was a DR. Graybow rustic billiard shape...with a tin of PA...total cost was $1.10...
Mine was a Dr. Graybow and Half & Half!!!! Wow, a $1.10!!! Big purchase for a nine year old!!! Good for you :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":noa747qv said:
PeterD":noa747qv said:
ftrplt":noa747qv said:
Mine was a Dr. Graybow and Half & Half!!!! Wow, a $1.10!!! Big purchase for a nine year old!!! Good for you :cheers: FTRPLT
...back then there were no laws regarding tobacco...in fact, the old Dr. who ran the drug store was a neighbor and I kept his grass cut...on a number of occasions he would let me pick out a new pipe and two tins of tobacco as payment...so I was fortunate.

In fact, he was my first "teacher of the pipe" and I would watch and listen as he showed me all his various ways to clean, smoke, tamp, and load the bowl...

And in a similar, but slightly different vein-

I clearly remember going to the local drugstore as a kid of 9 or 10 yrs old, where there was a display of pipe 'baccy on the counter and being able to purchase my Pap's favourite blend for his birthday or Xmas present.

Times were different back then!

Cheers,

RR