Cellaring American-style Burleys

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Reaction score
I have recently become totally converted to the American-style Burleys - specifically PA, CH, and Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I tried Granger but it had a sort of plasticky smell to it and I'm not keen on H+H either. These have got to be one of the USA's best kept secrets - I have never come across anything quite like these in Europe (except H+H which you can get in Germany). For me the McBarren Burleys bear no resemblance.

Has anyone any experience of cellaring PA, CH and ERR ? I'm not too interested in aging but more in stockpiling against the day when my supply dries-up. Does anyone know, for example, what PA would be like after 5-10 years in a mason jar or ERR after the same in its can ?

Thnx for any info.
TG

It'll be fine...

Store it up.

A friend (where are you Vito) has some ancient burleys....
He says they are awesome. At one time he was sharing samples as proof that burleys do in fact age quit nice, just at a slower rate than Virginia blends.

I've had PA in the plastic tub sitting since 2000, and the flavor is not remarkable different but tasty still. ERRd will probably be okay, at least I hope so, since I have 25 large 'tins' in storage. Our own Gospelman had a 30+ YO sample of Union Jack, another larus Bros product, which he pronounced outstanding.

Yes, as Morleysson says, that tin of Union Jack Cut Plug was indeed special.

But it was in an unopened vacuum sealed tin (actually one of those large "coffee can" type containers.) So, I would think the key would be to make sure it was sealed, either in an unopened tin or a canning jar.

I'm wondering: since Prince Albert now comes only in those plastic tubs (except of course the pouches) would it be better to transfer the tobacco to glass jars rather than let them sit for years in the plastic container.

I guess what I'm asking is would there be any degradation in quality because of the plastic?

Mike

I don't know about real long term effects of keeping tobacco in the plactic tubs but I have stored Walnut in the same tubs that PA comes in for up to two years with no ill effect. It seems to meld the flavors as with any aging. Walnut and PA tubs come with sealed shrink wrap around them and I would not remove it if you are going to store it long term.

It is my understanding (from reading and listening to people who do this for a living!) that tobacco (pipe or cigar) will "keep" in plastic, but will not "age" in plastic. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt":nik1nr9d said:
It is my understanding (from reading and listening to people who do this for a living!) that tobacco (pipe or cigar) will "keep" in plastic, but will not "age" in plastic. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! :pipe: FTRPLT
The aging process is not a factor for me when storing my Walnut in the original plastic tubs. Walnut is great right from the retailer. It is so good that if the aging process enhanced it any it would be too good for them to even be able to keep up with the demand to produce it. :D :D :D

Justpipes":7bb8e4iz said:
[
The aging process is not a factor for me when storing my Walnut in the original plastic tubs. Walnut is great right from the retailer. It is so good that if the aging process enhanced it any it would be too good for them to even be able to keep up with the demand to produce it. :D :D :D
It's getting VERY deep in here,,,,,

The man must have stock in the company,,,,a walking advertisement,,,I wonder how many tubs have been purchased out of curiosity due to his cautious lukewarm recomendations,,,,,