Cellaring C&D

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I read a couple of nights back that the tins of tobacco offered by G. L. Pease, C&D and McClelland aren't vacuum sealed and consequently wonder whether they can be left in their tins to age.

Also, if other tins are vacuumed, does the lack of air stop them from aging properly?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Jimmy

Great query Jimmy.

I myself have had positive experiences from all those you mentioned even after many years of ageing, so therefore I feel that the inclusion of oxygen is not detrimental to the maturing of these. Thus far, I have yet to have a negative experience, i.e. mold or the like.

And as far as the vacuum sealed tins, there will be anaerobic fermentation going on (in the lack of oxygen) which will contribute to the ageing process in a positive way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RR

Many thanks RR. It's encouraging to hear from someone who's actually been through the experience/

PipedJimmy":zi9qre2f said:
Many thanks RR. It's encouraging to hear from someone who's actually been through the experience/
Mate, I just edited my response to make it clearer after you posted.

No doubt there will be many more responses here as well.

Cheers,

RR

If I recall correctly the great Russ O talked about this at one point, and the short answer is yes, tobaccos in those tins definitely can and do age well so long as their seal is intact. The more complicated answer involves anaerobic vs aerobic fermentation--blends kept in pop-top tins age slightly differently than their vacuum-sealed counterparts, but both will reap the benefits of aging. Or put another way...what Rande said!

And further to my last post, the way I understand this is thus-

Anerobic fermentation promotes the further breakdown of components (a.k.a. like composting) which accelerates the development of certain positive components. All of which may be more, or less, desirable depending on the viewpoint of the end user.

Virginia dominant blends in particular are noted for flavour development during ageing. Helps to smooth out the blend and bring forward flavour constituents.  

When opening a tin, the ageing effectively stops but can be re-started by sealing and waiting. Which is why some smoke of the tin fresh and then jar up the rest for future enjoyment after the maturing has taken place. I myself prefer aged Virginia blends for just that reason.

Again, the lack of vacuum packaging on the blends you listed seems to have not had a detrimental effect. And in fact favour development seems to be just fine IMHO.

A contradiction? Yes, perhaps.

YMMV as always.

Cheers,

RR

My understanding of the non vacuum sealed tins is that the oxygen that is initially trapped in the tin is fairly quickly used up by the fermentation process. You then change gears and anaerobic fermentation starts in. As long as the seal is good at this point it's pretty much the same as a vacuum sealed tin. I am a bit of a fiend for well aged tubs. I have sought out and opened tubs of the old OTC's that range in age from 20-90 years. Every single one has been in good shape and even the burley blends have developed a deeper flavor after 50+ years in the tubs.

Hope this helps
Jim

All fine answers above. I've never experienced any problems with tinned or sealed bags of 'baccy. I have 200+ tins (various sizes), never had mold or dryness. Biggest problem are the Ginnyweed-forward tins that have "bulging bottoms!" Hard to stack the little boogers!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Wah, some amazing knowledge exhibited gentlemen. Thank you all for your responses. The information you wrote down bred a further, final question - in terms of taste, what's the difference between aerobic and anaerobic fermentation?

Peace to you all.