Change of scenery

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I’ve had folks write and ask what do I look at standing at that big pine tree. I’m looking at the tidal millpond off the York River which obviously is fed by the Atlantic Ocean. Being a mere 15’ above sea level may be a problem during storms having that millpond there has made all the difference in the world.

So now that I’ve given you a change of scenery I’ll change to a non bamboo shank pipe, in this case it’s a vintage Missouri Meerschaum Corn Dawg ( sorry the silly person that lives inside my brain just loves making me type it that way!)

These are no longer available and haven’t been for years. This old timer is of a time when the plastic used for the stem was a very hard plastic that would last forever, this one has a diamond shape to match the transition from the corn cob diamond shank.

The previous owner obviously must have love smoking it but sure didn’t take care of it like it was loved. When I got it the interior of the bowl had been scraped with a knife taking no care as to removing just the cake portions of it have been dug into the back of the kernel area and the top of the bowl is kind of sad not being uniform.

I can salvage a good portion of the bowls interior by taking my time smoking it, if I feel it beginning to get warmer in one area then the rest of the bowl, I tamp it tightly and allow it to extinguish.

I could just use pipe mud to repair it but I think a traditional cake breathes naturally than the mud I purchase to make minor spot repairs on the inside of a bowl or bottom if the draft hole is slightly above the bottom which can make it gurgle. Anyhow I though you might like looking at what I look at and seeing this old war horse I’m trying to save.

Oh yeah, 23 y/o McClelland Grey Havens keeping it smokey.
banjo

44786871501_c96fc3a6eb_z_d.jpg

Lovely view Mr Banjo! Super Corndog there! I wouldn't worry too much over the uneven top she's still a rare beauty. I too love the corndoggies. They are well worth the effort to restore to smoking condition.

Jim

hobie1dog":dsaru5xc said:
More pictures of the pond please.
You know, I think I remember him posting one or two “pond pics” some time ago.  You might do a search to see what you can find.

Edit: Just for kicks I went through about 8 long pages of fish’s posts trying to find one with pond pics. I was staggered by the huge number of exceedingly high grade pipes in his collection (assuming he doesn’t just toss ‘em after one bowl). I counted something like 6,129 pipes...approximately. He must have a warehouse next to his garage for storage. It’s amazing.

I think we should do a pool with members guessing exactly how many pipes he has (if he can even count that high). FishBanjo can award the winner twenty or thirty Pipes from his collection. He’ll never miss ‘em.