Change of Venue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have officially changed companies, though I am doing the same job (railroad conductor) quitting the Canadian Pacific in North Dakota in favor of the Wisconsin and Southern Railroad in Janesville and Madison, WI.

So what are the must go places for pipes & tobacco in the Madison/Milwaukee area? Are there any? I found "The Tasting Room" in Monona (east side of Madison) for cigars, but am lost on pipes, what are the recommendations?

-Railman
living in Edgerton, WI

and about Edgerton......

It was once called "The Tobacco Capital of the World" and had 55 warehouses! Several brick ones are still standing adorned in the old names and advertising (Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco) lining my rail line like a canyon in the middle of town. Every summer they hold "Edgerton Tobacco Heritage Days." Even the anti-smoking bastards couldn't stand that and tried to force the town to just change it to "Edgerton Heritage Days." They did change it last year, then realized how stupid it was and are going back to the old Edgerton Tobacco Heritage Days again this year. Guess they'll have to suffer from second-hand words all over again!

Isn't Jack's Tobacco also in Milwaukee? I have been to Uhle's and they do have some wonderful blends IMHO. Blend 71 Golden Shag and Bishops Blend to name a few. Mike Brissett are very own "pipemaker" at BoB also lives there. A nicer gentleman you will never meet.

As Mikem suggested shoot Pipemaker a PM and he can give you a low down on the area. I know that Mike Brissett (Pipemaker) has told me that they have a pipe club there and I think they have a nice annual pipe show at Jack's Tobacco. Mike B. can give you the details.

Isn't Jack's Tobacco also in Milwaukee?

Welcome to WI!! Being an import from out of state myself, I think you'll like the area. The people here are great. Very open and friendly.

Jack's is in Brookfield actually- a suburb bordering on the east of Milwaukee. Haven't made any of the meetings yet, but he does have a selection of tinned tobacco, as well as his own blends.

They also have a nice smoking lounge. Seems to lean more to cigar smokers, but pipe smokers are always welcomed.

I've also picked up some nice blended tobaccos at Lake Country Cigars at the I-94 and WI-83 junction in Delafield. Again, not actually a "pipe" store, but do have supplies and accessories as well as a bar. For my birthday, my wife got me a reamer and tobacco pouch, along with a few of their blends.

http://www.jackstobaccowi.com/

http://www.milwaukeeareapipesociety.com/

http://www.lccigars.com/

Hope this helps you out.

Let's see... You'll be trading Marge Olmstead-Gunderson for Jackie Burkhart and Donna Pinciotti. Not bad. Plus Madison is an amazingly cosmopolitan town---one of the few in the Flyover. Perfect for your music and photography. You done good, Rail Man. 8) 8) 8)

If you're into the outdoors, the center on north of Wisoland has a lot to offer. I had a girlfriend in Janesville once (living in Milwaukee at the time) and got my degrees from Whitewater and UW-Milwaukee. Just consume massive amounts of cheese, brats, and beer, and dress in green and gold year round, and you'll fit right in.

Natch

Thanks for the advice, I have a few places to keep me busy checking out over the next few weeks!