Changes in the Cuban Embargo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Being at work, I haven't been able to keep up with all of it, but it appears that today Obama announced some executive orders that will lessen the effects of the embargo on Cuba; I know the embargo itself can't be lifted without approval from Congress, but the part of these executive orders that I'm pretty happy about look something like this -

"...administration officials said the president would unveil executive actions to ease restrictions on trips by U.S. citizens to Cuba. Those travelers will also be able to buy Cuban goods for personal use, including up to $100 in alcohol or tobacco products..."

Looks like us here in the states will be able to legally have Cuban cigars and rum again.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'm skeptical of anything our foreign policy genius in the White House does, and I'm being polite and speaking with measured words.  On the other hand, three or four cigars is nothing to sneeze at!

I think the majority are going to discover that the Dominican Republic, Nicaraguan, and Honduran producers exceed what is available out of Cuba.

PS: I don't know if the other producers 'caught up' or if the Cuban producers suffer under communism but with the exception of a couple of sticks I've never been all that impressed with Cubans... Well after the 'taboo' wore off of course.

PPS: The 'exception of a couple sticks': Ramone Allones Specially Selected & Partagas Serie D no 4.. Best of breed.

Going to cause a shit storm in copyright/branding.. What happens if the American Market knock off brands can't sell under the stolen name anymore?

PB, I think you're definitely right on that. I've never personally had a Cuban, but from what I can tell it's the taboo that drives the demand for them.

On the other hand, if the sanctions continue to be lifted, the Cubans might have access to much more advanced agricultural equipment and processes, so the Cuban cigar market could flourish again.

puros_bran":fs81r7kv said:
I think the majority are going to discover that the Dominican Republic, Nicaraguan, and Honduran producers exceed what is available out of Cuba.

PS: I don't know if the other producers 'caught up' or if the Cuban producers suffer under communism but with the exception of a couple of sticks I've never been all that impressed with Cubans... Well after the 'taboo' wore off of course.

PPS: The 'exception of a couple sticks':  Ramone Allones Specially Selected & Partagas Serie D no 4.. Best of breed.  

Going to cause a shit storm in copyright/branding.. What happens if the American Market knock off brands can't sell under the stolen name anymore?
Many of these "stolen" names you mentioned are being made in Nicaraugua etal by the ORIGINAL owners of these brands that escaped from Cuba when the govt. there took over the cigar firms. It will be the Cubans who will have the copyright / brand issue when they try and get back to the US market ! Either way it's gonna be a wild and crazy time in the cigar world when and if this comes to pass!! :twisted: :twisted:

Habanos are easier to get, cheaper and better quality
now than they will be after the embargo is lifted.

Just sayin' :oops:

Hero move 1: allows Cuban cigars again.
Hero move 2: campaigns against tobacco.

Both sides are happy, right? :lol:

I like Nicaraguan, D.R., and Honduran cigars better than any of the stuff that's come out of Cuba. Yes, they were as real as they got. Not glass-top-box five packs from Mexico. The embargo did two things: one, hyped Cubans as unobtainium for years; two, made other growers/rollers get on their "A" game.

This situation will cause six months of rabid consumption with the end result of, "I spent what for WHAT?" :lol: The drop in demand of everything else might mean some non-Cuban deals are to be had elsewhere, though.

8)

puros_bran":vj0xaocv said:
Yep.

True as it is, you can still bet Cubans will command above-premium pricing, regardless.

idbowman":sjtnx328 said:
puros_bran":sjtnx328 said:
Yep.

True as it is, you can still bet Cubans will command above-premium pricing, regardless.
They still do in Europe and the rest of the world and will if and when they become available easily over here. It'll be another Penzance kinda thing but that's OK as we all know how to deal with that !! WHINE !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":kramdng4 said:
It'll be another Penzance kinda thing but that's OK as we all know how to deal with that !! WHINE !!
Yep.

Or just don't smoke the stuff. :lol:

Baboons & fig trees.

Kyle Weiss":mshiq2zd said:
monbla256":mshiq2zd said:
It'll be another Penzance kinda thing but that's OK as we all know how to deal with that !! WHINE !!  
Yep.

Or just don't smoke the stuff.   :lol:  

Baboons & fig trees.  
Since ya can't get the stuff it's more fun to whine !! :twisted: :twisted:

Or whine about whiners... That'd be alright too...

Command a premium?  I can get RASS and PSD4 a lot easier than I can get the good Padron, Fuente, etc.   And at less than half the cost.

I don't think it'd be as bad as yall are making it sound.. They aren't rare and hard to get in other parts of the world... With the exception of the Limited/Regional  Editions you can waltz into any La Casa del Habanos and pick the majority of the brands offered.

puros_bran":kp6luvet said:

PPS: The 'exception of a couple sticks':  Ramone Allones Specially Selected & Partagas Serie D no 4.. Best of breed.  

AMEN!!!

Cuban rum...Yeah, I'll be glad to see it available. Cuban cigars...I've had'em/got'em, for what they're asking for them; you can have them!! The per stick price will "stick it to'em!!" I just can't see/tell the difference...Other than the "taboo" factor. It'll probably be like the "Cigar Boom" all over again!! I'll pass 'til the prices come way down. JMHO :santa: FTRPLT

WarlockBob":pmeb88mc said:
On the other hand, if the sanctions continue to be lifted, the Cubans might have access to much more advanced agricultural equipment and processes, so the Cuban cigar market could flourish again.
This might open up Cuban leaf to other manufacturers as well. Right now Cuban leaf is not used in any other blends due to embargo. So even if Cuban Cigars aren't all that great, the possibility of available blending options will been exciting!

Don't be so sure Cuban leaf isn't already used in some Nicaraguan cigars.

I asked a sales rep from a Nicaraguan cigar manufacturer (which will remain nameless) if some Cuban leaf was being used in a couple of the blends. His response was - "I can neither confirm nor deny that". Interesting. Makes sense that they could sneak in a little here and there. Cuban tobacco isn't illegal in Nicaragua, or anywhere except the U.S. for that matter. A bale or two shows up, gets re-labeled and into the warehouse it goes. The finished and boxed cigars are labeled "Made in Nicaragua", so who's going to know? Customs and BATF just look at the place of origin of the finished product.

Regardless, it's probably all moot anyway. Once the upcoming FDA regulations hit cigars it will be too cost prohibitive for the cash strapped Cubans to comply. The established Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan companies are going to have a difficult enough time as it is complying with new labeling, testing and paperwork.

CACooper

Northern Neil":q1pe0a9u said:
WarlockBob":q1pe0a9u said:
This might open up Cuban leaf to other manufacturers as well. Right now Cuban leaf is not used in any other blends due to embargo. So even if Cuban Cigars aren't all that great, the possibility of available blending options will been exciting!
Much of the better leaf grown around Central America and the Caribbean are from Cuban seeds, I doubt the genetics have drifted much in just a few decades.  But when I was in Cuba a while back, and doing some level of research on Latin America, I believe that much of the agricultural lands have been quite abused.  For a long time, Cuban cigars were one of only a few sources of hard currency, and they pushed their fields to produce heavily, relying on what some might see as over fertilization and shorter resting periods. I fear the Cubans will find stiff competition for cigars in today's international market.

Natch

Hermit":1t9ve450 said:
Habanos are easier to get, cheaper and better quality
now than they will be after the embargo is lifted.  

Just sayin'  :oops:
I agree.

Cubans may not be some mythical unicorn of tobacco, but they are pretty damn good smokes, and discernibly different from the Nic/Hon/DR smokes available stateside. Again, not earth-shatteringly different, but sometimes you want Scotch, some times you want Bourbon. I have no doubt that if the American market is opened up to Cuban manufacturers, one of two things will happen, the prices will skyrocket and a $10 cigar will cost upwards of $50, or the quality will drop to unimaginable levels as the manufacturers race to keep supply up to demand. Actually, what is unfortunately most likely to happen is both of the above.

I read a small article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal ( hard copy, not web version) that BAT in England will continue to have the exporting and distribution rights to ALL Cuban produced cigars as they do now world wide. From the way the article was written seems pricing will be on a par with that used world wide for the cigars now!! It will be interesting to see how this will all go if and when it happens :twisted: :twisted: