Changing tastes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Strange. I am becoming concerned. For the last month or more, I have started to really not like blends with more than average perique. It started slowly with just finding less satisfaction, and has gradually progressed to outright not enjoying it. Today, I dumped out a bowl of Bayou Morning after maybe ten minutes. I loved this one all summer and last fall. Odd... Many of my favorite vapers are starting to taste almost acrid/sour to me. Annoying, as I used to really like it!

Even more odd, I find myself craving more sweetness in blends I historically have found very satisfying.

I wonder if this is a passing phase, or if I am going to have to send out all the perique-forward vapers I have been stock piling for the last six months as Christmas gifts to some deserving folks here on the BoB. Either that, or start cutting Escudo with 1Q. :D

Anyone else experience this? If so, tell me it was short lived.

Happens to me all the time. I've been on a Latfest of late but last night I put aside a bowl of Penzance. Couldn't handle it. I also hope it's just a passing phase.

Maybe the seasons changing, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in your neck of the woods :)

I know I have recently been getting more of a taste for heavier and darker flavored stuff as it gets colder out. Been smoking mostly va/pers and va/orientals and burley all summer and spring, starting to get a taste for stuff with latakia in it again now that the weather has turned.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, since the stuff you were stockpiling was vapers, it's only gonna get better if you let it sit for a while :D

Frost":3lorjnfk said:
Maybe the seasons changing, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in your neck of the woods :)

I know I have recently been getting more of a taste for heavier and darker flavored stuff as it gets colder out. Been smoking mostly va/pers and va/orientals and burley all summer and spring, starting to get a taste for stuff with latakia in it again now that the weather has turned.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, since the stuff you were stockpiling was vapers, it's only gonna get better if you let it sit for a while :D
That's interesting, I've been craving Latakia as well, and I was never a huge fan before. Hmm...

I know a guy who smokes nothing but 1Q and has for nearly 20 years...can you say boring? I think it's great that you are naturally driven from one flavor to another....variety is the spice of life, just ask any hooker. :D

It happens. You just get "burned out" on a certain element. Luckily, you can move on down the road to orientals, American English, Danish Aros... whatever.

I think it was "Sasquatch" who once said: If the answer isn't Club Blend or Presbyterian Mixture, you asked the wrong question.

:rendeer:

Haven't tried club blend, but presbyterian is an awesome colder weather smoke. Don't really crave it at all in the warmer weather, but once the ground started gettin' frosty that stuff starts tasting might fine. Same with Red Rapparee. Interstingly, I've also been drawn towards the heartier burley blends like Irish Flake, Aged Burley Flake, OJK etc recently although I rarely reached for them over the last few months.

Like I said, I chalk it up to the seasons changing but who really knows why tastes change. Better and more fun to chase your tastebuds all over tobaccoland than to try to force yourself to finish a bowl of something you don't really feel like smoking.

Good advice, Brothers -- Aha! I new this was all smoke and mirrors, a reason to:

1) Open up some more tins, like I don't have enough already... there are 3 or 4 blends I have been itchin' to try...

2) Buy some more tobaccos to try!

Thanks for weighing in, fellas!

Like several have already said, one's tastes morph between seasons and over time. There was a time where I probably went five years without smoking anything with latakia in it, now I enjoy those blends a few times a week. My predominantly Virginia kick of the past few years has eased to where they now represent half of what I smoke, but various blends and particularly orientals have my fancy.

A bit of advice if I may, don't sell or trade away those blends you were cellaring just because your present tastes have moved away from them. I was trading and giving away tons (well, pounds anyway! :lol: !) of some well aged Marlin Flake I had because I always preferred Old Gowire to MF and didn't think I'd want to keep that much of it around. Now that I'm down to my last pound, I wish I had kept more. It's become my #1 favorite at the present. At least I can take solace in knowing that my "#1" favorite will morph again in the next few months.

By the way, good Brothers, if my #1 favorite ever becomes Walnut, please feel free to have me put away or at least forced into counseling!!! :lol!:

Natch

Good call on going to some stronger (ie "winter") blends, Frosty! I just smoked a bowl of Irish Flake, and it was absolutely delicious. For whatever reason, I finished off a tin a few months ago, and just hadn't popped another one, probably because I had too many others open to warrant another... But I popped it open and thoroughly enjoyed a bowl of the tobacco equivalent of a good stout beer. Waiting in the wings is a bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake, to be savored on the late night drive down to the family ski cabin in Girdwood. Man, am I stoked!