Charles Fairmorn Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D'Artagnan

Reaction score
This is more of a request for Charles Fairmorn reviews rather than a review of Charles Fairmorn. I'm a regular GLP Odyssey and Westminster smoker. Charles Fairmorn tobaccos seem like a good value but there is not much information about them at tobaccoreviews.com, though most reviews are favorable. I'm interested in hearing more about:

Lancer Slices

Sterling Balkan

Not trying to replace my GLPs, I have a good stash in the "cellar", just trying to stretch the dollar with what appears to be a good bulk value tobacco.

D.

Johny Bravo.. Lancers slices is considered an almost replacement for Begal slices, maybe look at those reviews.

I like all four blends mentioned but I am not much of a reviewer..

I have not tried the Sterling Balkan but I am a big advocate of Lancers Slices. I keep at least a pound of the blend in my cellar at any one time. I cannot compare it to Bengal Slices as I've never tried that blend. Lancers Slices is a very rich Latakia blend IMHO. It burns evenly with a rich woodsy type of taste. The closest blend that it reminds me of would be Old Ironsides. In fact I started to cellar this because Old Ironsides was becoming to hard to find.

Another Fairmorn blend that I like is Black Bayou Mist. It's not a flake type blend like Lancers Slices but very Latakia heavy with a little spicier taste due to the Orientals and Perique in it.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either blend. Especially for the price.

PB, Mikem, thanks for the comments, doesn't seem to be a lot out there about them. I have never tries Bengal Slices either so I do not have a reference point, but I do like GLPs Odyssey, Westminster, MF and FVF, so a latakia and VA mix seems to be in the ball park. Guess I'll toss the die and see what happens. Can't beat the price for a pound of the stuff.

D'.

I have tried both Sterling Balkan and Lancer Slices and enjoy both of them. Sterling Balkan puts the Orientals up front and they stay there, with the Latakia and Virginia present, but not dominant. The flavor seems to me to be kind of a pleasant sweet/sour combination, mostly sweet. There is absolutely no danger of overlooking the Latakia in the Lancer Slices mixture, but the Virginia holds its own. It's a kind of smoky/sweet, back and forth experience and both of the tobaccos have some superb moments. I tried a small sample of each a while back, and ordered 500 grams of each before the samples were half gone! Definitely give 'em a try!

I ordered the Bengal Slices and Sterling Balkan; have them cellared. I plan to order more, along with the BB Mist. :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt - have you sampled them yet? Can you give us a review?

Hi Muddler....No, I haven't tried them yet. I bought them purely on recommendation and reputation!! I will say the aroma from both was mouthwatering :twisted: Soon they have a bit more aging on them, I'll give them a try and let ya'll know what I think!! But if Yooper and Mikem like'em; I'll bet they're good!!!!!!! FTRPLT

Mikem":bxw4v7ep said:
I have not tried the Sterling Balkan but I am a big advocate of Lancers Slices.

Lancers Slices is a very rich Latakia blend IMHO.

It burns evenly with a rich woodsy type of taste.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either blend. Especially for the price.
Second, third and totally agree regarding those luscious Lancer Slices. I do let them dry out for about an hour rub a bit and enjoy them with a big fresh hot mug of coffee. Very nice, very nice indeed! Smokey, sweet and highly addictive ...... :cheers:

The Bengal Slices I remember I don't miss. I can only fantasize about a Balkan Sobranie flake.

From TobaccoReviews:
"Bengal Slices was, originally, the flake version of Balkan Sobranie. When Gallaher took over the Sobranie mixtures from the Redman family the original blenders finding the composition too complex and costly, they simplified it. After Gallaher stopped making the simplified Bengal Slices, Mssrs James B Russell, Inc., arranged for a composition similar to the Gallaher revision to be made exclusively for them by A & C Petersen, Horsens, Denmark. A & C Petersen has recently been sold to Orlik A/S, of Assens, Denmark, which promptly discontinued the manufacture of Bengal Slices. A replacement, under the James B Russell ægis, has been released, approximating the A & C Petersen blend."

Lancer's Slices are a good, meaty sort of broken flake tobacco. Plenty of condiment type tobaccos in the blend. A creamy quality to the latakia used. I think MikeM got many of us started on this one in a box pass.

Sterling Balkan is an interesting smoke. It would be a good English/Balkan type. But it has a peppery quality. It's delicious. My mouth waters a lot when I am smoking it. Now, I don't know if it's a condiment tobacco that gives me this taste. Or an additive. To my tongue, I would guess that there is some blackberry added. I am not saying that it's in there. Only my taster thinks there is. It's very good. Maybe this makes it more of a Balkan than most.

I haven't smoked a lot of Black Bayou Mist. But it's good. Different than the others. I don't notice a lot of Kentucky or perique. But I guess it's in there. Again, I haven't spent much time with that one.

D'Artagnan":0mun2992 said:
I'm interested in hearing more about:

Lancer Slices

D.
I was just reminded this week about how much I love Lancer's Slices. I've had a few ounces in an open bag lying around for about three months, and I took them on a road trip Monday and Tuesday along with several other faves. It's amazing how much flavor and complexity come from just Virginias and Latakia, when other English blends use as many as four tobaccos.

First, I can attest that a little age helps. I bought 500g a while back and jarred it, and put the remainder in a bag. I'm looking forward to the day I crack open one of those little Ball jars! In only three months the flavor in my already-open bag seems to have become richer and smoother.

The aroma is smokey, campfire, woodsy, and the flavor is the same. Rich and savory, you better like Latakia if you're going to try this one. But this latakia isn't a slap in the face. There's no bitterness or harshness, it's just rich and smoky and creamy. The virginias meld very well, to the point where sometimes it's difficult to pick out the virginia sweetness like you can with so many other tobaccos. I think this speaks to the talent of the blender, whose job it is, after all, to BLEND. It's excellent with strong coffee (something I discovered when I happily discovered a Starbucks in the middle of South Dakota).

There is no bite, and it burns well if you take care in the packing. I have learned lately to pack almost all of my pipes and tobaccos with less pressure. A light pack almost always provides a cooler smoke with richer flavors. A given bowl may not last as long because there's less tobacco in a light-pressured packing, but I'm into quality not quantity. I basically just gently shove in as much as I can into the pipe without having to stuff it or tamp it much. Light finger pressure is all I use, and I keep drawing through the pipe while packing to be sure I'm maintaining a very, very free draw. If the draw starts to get restricted, I'll dig it out and start over.

For such a simple blend, they hit this nail squarely on the head. I love this stuff and may have to buy another pound or two for aging. I suppose it's in my top five right now.

I have some Lancers Slices that have been jarred for a couple of years now. IMHO aging does improve this blend immensely. It really melds the different blends/tobaccos and makes for a much smoother and richer smoke.

An often over looked bargain Balkan blend is Dan Tobacco Bill Bailey's Balkan, though some people object to a Balkan containing Kentucky, I find it's addition does much in adding 'bass notes' and moderate strength while the resulting mixture is rich and strong tasting without being harsh or fatiguing. It can be purchased in 'bulk' 8 ounce foil bags from various vendors including smokingpipes.com It is comparatively inexpensive.

Kentucky
Virginia
Perique
Oriental

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=401

Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme or Proper English are very great 'value blends' also:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=2176

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=P&TID=1967

C&D Star of the East fills the bill for many a pipester It also comes now in a flake format

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=0&TID=266

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2766

I have no experience with Bengal or Lancers Slices, though I too heartily endorse the use of GLP Odyssey and Westminster.

:pipe:

OK, I'm convinced. I've just pulled the trigger on a pound of the stuff based on these recommendations. Thanks guys.

Muddler":y4zzb0l5 said:
OK, I'm convinced. I've just pulled the trigger on a pound of the stuff based on these recommendations. Thanks guys.
My finger twitching too. I may have to buy some of this. Is this something I want a pound of?

Outlaw, I felt the same way and just went ahead and got the 1#. I don't regret the decision. But then again, I like VAs and Latakia.

D'.

D'Artagnan":9lyejc8u said:
Outlaw, I felt the same way and just went ahead and got the 1#. I don't regret the decision. But then again, I like VAs and Latakia.

D'.
I like em too. Sounds like I need to order some today.