Chasing your own personal "Holy Grail" Pipe.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CygnusXII

Reaction score
I know that sounds like a weird Tag Line for a Subject Matter, but I find it a curious topic, for many reasons. Of course it comes with a Story, and then some thoughts.

Back when I was first starting out on this journey and pursuit of passion, I was very inexperienced, and not very knowledgeable about pipes, makers, brands and what have you. I started off with Drugstore Doctor Grabow, and what I call Board Pipes, and I smoked Drugstore Blends. My first real pipe was a Peterson 303 XL. A real beauty. I bought it at The Tinderbox for $75, back in the early 80's in Arlington, Texas. I still love that shape and design. The Stummel is big and round, the Pipe stem is long, beefy but graceful. My "holy Grail" pipe though is a horse of a totally different color. When I started building my collection back then, I didn't have a lot of money. What Tween does? Rummaging around in a basket pipe sale at Tinderbox, I found two real beauties. I didn't realize at the time, they would become my favorites, but who does, when they first buy a new pipe? Back then Savinelli started offering a line of "Seconds." No fancy name or product line, Just "Seconds." Peterson started doing the same thing around that time. I picked up to Lumberman pipes of the same shape. They were unfinished, and had Lucite Stems. One had a simple flaw on the shank. It was a single line of dark grain. A simple little black line, maybe a quarter of an inch long. The second on had a small fill, maybe the size of a pin head, on the underside of the bowl. Apparently this was enough of a flaw, to resign them both to the "Seconds" line. The Shape was 815 KS. This is my "Holy Grail." I lost both of my originals to horrible accidents. One was knocked out of my mouth while I was driving a Panel van with the drivers side door open. Unfortunately it hit the street outside the truck and was promptly run over by the dualie back tires. The second one was completely crushed by me being stupid. I was working on my pickup truck and placed it on the cross member support that holds the radiator in place. I finished working on the truck and slammed the hood closed, and crushed that pipe to smithereens. You know, one of those moments where time freezes, because at the precise moments things go wrong, you remember what you just did. My third "Holy Grail" Pipe is a Bari Handcut Special, from the early 80's. I won a blonde version in a Pipe Smoking Contest, it was a beautiful flowing, sweeping wedge of a pipe with a barrel chested bit. That Pipe was my "Go to" Pipe. It never smoked wrong, or gurgled, and stayed as cool as a button. How did I lose it, you ask? Burnout! I smoked a bad spot into that poor pipe. Well, this week I picked up a copy of that one this week. Not an exact copy, mind you, but close enough to fulfill the urge to have the same pipe, again. I am still chasing the Savinelli's 815 KS. I need to find the right balance of pipe quality vs price. Savinelli now offers the 815 KS in the Punto Oro Design, Capri, Hercules, Pisa, Estella and several other lines, but not in the Seriess III (what is now the "seconds" line.

I'd be interested in hearing about everyone else "Holy Grails."

Maybe the closest I come to Holy Grail pipes are my Pete 408s. To me, if there's a pipe in Plato's Cave, it's a 408. It's not too big, but not too small, just sllightly bent, and available in smooth and rough finishes, fishtail or Pete mouthpieces, sterling silver trim or plain jane. It's a handsome pipe in any iteration. None of mine are the least bit cranky, handle all kinds of tobacco with good cheer and admit a pipe cleaner all the way into the chamber. I think I have four 408s, not counting lookalikes from other manufacturers. I have a very nice lookalike from Phil Trypis' workbench. Otoh, when I ask a visitor which of my collection of 50+ briars they might like best, they seldom pick a Pete 408, but a couple have pointed to the silver trimmed Trypis version.

I'm wondering how cool a button really is... :p

I was confused for a while, wondering what "Holy Grail" actually meant in this instance, but I guess it just means a pipe with which you mesh well, like the looks of, have no problems smoking and seems to get reached for more often than other pipes.

If it's just a shape and style, the only two I've smoked that were the same make/model are Missouri Meerschaum Diplomats, of which I've had three (gave one a way to someone). I know exactly how they'll perform, what to smoke in them and what to expect. Other than that, I'm under the impression most pipes are unique unto themselves--and with that, I'm glad when one hits all the right buttons. Cool ones, preferably. 8)

Having been a fountain pen collector for over 30 years now I've always had "that" pen which for various reasons was not available to me but I wanted to have in my collection. An example i can give would be a Mont Blanc 216 made in the Danish factory in the late 40's thru mid 50's. For various reasons, this model was not available till I found one thru a dealer in Oslo 6 years ago. Everything "lined-up" just right, price, condition( almost mint, still had it's original box and sales slip from 1952 from a German shop in Nurmberg) and I bought it. I do use it, along with my others, on a semi daily basis and am glad I waited. So to me, a "grail" pipe would be one that I had a special feeling of want for and would be willing to wait till all" the ducks lined up" for me to buy. My reasons for wanting could be just about anything, rarity, provenance, style etc. Pipe wise i would have to say that two models of Savanelli are what I would call "grail" for me, a Guibleo de Oro Pot, Lovat or Bent SB Bulldog and the same shapes in the Erica Fiamme series. I have two Guibleo de Oro's and one Erica Fiamme's that I smoke now and if I find the right one of these and the stars are all alligned I'll get one of my "grails".
For you pen collectors here's a pic of my Danish 216 and it's a Coral one which is why they are so hard to find :p (pic is from the seller)

5802g1.jpg

My holy grail right now is a 1895 marlin 45-70 Cowboy with the octagon barrel. Its a smoking pipe once fired. On the post side, I got my holy grail pipe when I got my 303 Peterson, then my Dublin millennium Peterson.

IMG208.jpg

I love that 303!

My holy grail is a Dunhill from 1961, a new Brian Ruthenberg or Rad Davis Radesian. I start saving my pipe cash, but it always gets spent on other pipes. One day...

Cool thread, Hail Bobbo!

A bust'd pipe is much better than bust'd knuckles - I enjoyed the quick read & interestingly (or perhaps intentionally) you presented a triumvirate of 3 pipes, nicely keeping to the theme, well done.

& Mont Blanc fountain pens! An unexpected awesome bonus, altho I'm not drawn to the fountain, I do love the Mont Blanc ink bottles, the design is pure presence, what is it? the logo? the weight? I dunno, but I've bought me a few only because of the siren call associated with uncompromising quality. I'm kind of a wacky poet, but my workhorses are UniBall Visions in little Apica notebooks, A5 format is best, further, being a sometimes comic doodler, I have a fondness for nibtips - next time you look at a comic or a single panel gag, take good notice of the linework, a good smith with pen & ink brings the fluid alive in the most subtle of ways...

...back on topic, I yet still search for the lost grail. Me being 3 months into my pipeful journey. I was quite lucky as to acquire a Stanwell bishop estate with good cake to start me off & it helped a lot considering my first smokes were straight D&R Two-Timer, which is the most excellent of toasted burley for RYO cigs, but not exactly a wise choice for a bowl, equate the the Stanny is full bent & 9mm filter, it was a rather strange way to start -- but, I do still love that pipe, inlaid gold S biggish hour-long smoker it is indeed, as I reflect upon those initial smokes, wondering why it was so hot, getting tongue-bite, drooling, wet 'n sloppy speed-puffer I have to laugh at myself, the Stanny was amazingly forgiving on this illformed miscreant -- then I got into the fascination of timing my smokes, very conciously & glowing proud to smoke a pipe for a whole 45 minutes! It was strange ecstasy & it's all yet continuing...

...so, the Stanny set me up for Danish delight. The big heavy hearty Bishop has served me well & earned a place in my sanctum of respectful honor.

Indeed, now I'm a bit Dano-crazy about the lovely crown'd S, building a clutch of 7 63M's & looking for yet more, but only the vintage will do the trick just right -- then the shape 19 took me in & I almost recanted my loyalty for the 63M, the 19 is compact, angular, lightweight & well-suited for my smoking style, I love that shape.

I had hopes of collecting the entire family-tree of M-series pipes that Stanwell ever made, but then reality hit & made me realize I was getting these pipes to smoke & tried to hinder myself from going all-out as usual in mad frenzy to "complete the set", some of the shapes are simply unsuitable for me & I'm proud I was cognizant enough to realize this before I went on the duck-hunt, I did however get me a lovely patina'd Reg.Nr. 75M & perhaps my most beautiful pipe: an old RegNr 35M designed by Anne Julie, that pipe situates itself in very stark contrast to the more "masculine" pipes I like & the feminine elements gracefully comfort my immediate tactile pleasures...

...BUT, if I were to go off hinterland chasing a holy legend with courage & peril, it'd be an Eltang classic poker - I like the way he's dubb'd it a "smoking machine" & I have no reason to doubt it, all this ties into his persona, his acerbic humor, from what I've read about him he seems a right-good chap & very down to earth, his smile speaks more miles than any verbose histrionics could try to convey, said simply: he seems like a cool cat who makes cool pipes accentuating a prefernce for utilitarian functionalism over sculptural excess...

...something like chasing windmills, maybe one day my mount shall be such a powerful steed & if not it remains a beautiful dream.

As an ending aside, you chose your metaphor most correctly when in concern of the etymology we have such: " ...the word graal, as it is earliest spelled, comes from Old French graal or greal, cognate with Old Provençal grazal and Old Catalan gresal, meaning "a cup or bowl of earth, wood, or metal" , or other various types of vessels, and in this case, a most sacred pipe.

Ah, I had to go off hunting for what the 815KS looked like...quick check of BollitoPipe ( which has been a wonderful resource for me) found nothing but an 814, quite affordable after he discounts the non-Euro tax...
bollitopipe.it/savinelli-silver-sandblast-p-1268

...alas, that one digit often makes a big difference, the 814 shank looks slightly smaller than the 815:
smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=45045

...in Stanwellian terminology, the 62, 63 & 64 shapes are very close but oh so different!

I feel fairly well-versed in the Stanny nomenclature & to delve off into other spheres is kinda entertaining - how these slots of numbers instantly uncrack that vault in our head to reference...if I heard 64M FlameGrain it triggers the association you have with the 815ks, there is one bastard available but I can't bring myself to pay $50 for shipping dammitall2hell'nback!!!

However, I must admit, the hunt is great fun, finding that prime example -- another trait I've acquired now that I've built a reasonable quiver for rotation, not jumping the gun on the first example that happens to pop up, it is a great reward to display such restraint in the midst of wide-eyed abandonment & I've tamed my over-itchy trigger-finger!

Oddly, the only non-Stanwell pipery I've had is a nice Wiley 44 Galleon, a groovy 60ish Soborg egg, a gurgling Nording hunka freehand & a Savinelli Autograph 4 which closely resembles the 815? Maybe, I dunno, my pipe had a hard bowl slant & it was already a very long Canadian plus it was heavily Lat-ghost'd & even tho it smoked a damn right treat, I ended up trading it for a Stanny 63M!

...it was a great trade in my mind, an older Diplomat all ready to go & in the pursuit of this one shape I've seen the slight differences in each unique object...next, I will get outta micrometer & measure the specs, the older ones have a wider shank-hole but narrower stem-airways, a couple of the newer "Danish Design" ones are true-to-the-word whistles (BTW, why is the whistle sound indicative of a "not right" pipe? Does it have to do with drilling tolerances?)...anyway, ifya ain't took notice, I tend to be somewhat of a hyergraphic beatnik qwertykreep, but hey look, that Sav I had was super nice 'n light & easy smopking & pretty close to the 815 shape, or no?

briarblues.com/tl01.htm

...if so, & it is quite similar, then Brother, this is another alignment with the Harmony of Spheres which has been all lined up in the little lightbulbs of my skull...

...oh yeah, here's that major minor-grail of mine:
piber.dk/product.asp?product=14408
Price EUR 178,32 = alotta dough in Stannyland!!!

cheers all!

Is it just me or does one buy a pipe and in time he realizes that it is his "Holy Grail" pipe?

I have a Comoys Canadian from the 1960s that has become a pipe like that for me. I really enjoy smoking it and hope to come across some other " Holy Grail" pipes in the future. The hard part is having the money to buy that next great pipe. Lol.

Keep Smoking

Steve :afro: