CheapHumidors.com

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought a large humidor from these guys and if so how was the service. I am looking at either this one:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HUM-500G-COMBO&Category_Code=LGHUMIDORS&Product_Count=4

or this one:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HUM-400FL&Category_Code=LGHUMIDORS&Product_Count=2

I really don't want to go over $400 but I'm tired of three smaller humidors and constantly forgetting to keep them all up to snuff. Maybe with one large one I can keep it up, I hope :lol!:

a few of my buddies have the havana foot locker, they all seem to like it very much.

Mike,

I would check out Ebay for sure. I purchased all my humidors from that site and have always been very pleased. I have never paid over $80 for a humidor with shipping. The biggest one i bought was a 300 count glass top.

I found this one for you to take a look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-ct-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-CABINET-END-TABLE-DISPLAY-CASE_W0QQitemZ380007079196QQihZ025QQcategoryZ11675QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally like the glass on humidors so you can easily see the RH and it shows off would you have inside too! :D

Looks like a a good deal also. Let us know what you go with when you make your purchase.

Lucky

luckydogguy":vb97ugul said:
That one looks pretty light weight to me. It kind of looks like it is made out of lightweight pine, not spanish cedar lined hardwood. I'm sure that it's a great deal, but I would recommend actually seeing a humidor before you buy one. Open the lid, pick it up.

I bought a bargain humidor once and sent it right back. It was beautiful (just like in the picture), but it weighed just a little more than a balsa wood airplane. You know, the kind with the rubber band on the propeller?

Quite often, with most things regarding furniture, you get what you pay for. Make sure that you get a no hassle money back guarantee if you buy one online.

Tin,

You bring up a great point. Anything bought online a person should be conrcerned about quality. I always check out the "feedback" on all the sellers I buy from on Ebay. This guy seems to have quite a number a sales and people seem to enjoy would they have purchased. This guy also has a 100 percent satsifaction guaranty. If I had the chance to save $50-100 on an online item, I would buy it...as long as somethings where established (ex. feedback, guaranty, price, etc...).

But, I also do a lot of shopping online and have been very comfromtable with doing so. I know not everyone feels the same way. So, to those people I would suggest going with what you know and feel comfortable with.

Lucky

Several years ago I had some friends buy humidors at cheaphumidors.com. They were good buys for the money... nothing fancy, but they held their humidity when filled with cigars, and that's really what it's all about, right.

-Andrew

very nice 'dor indeed!
One word to offer:

1. be sensitive to where you place the humidor. If you get decent amount of light thru the front of it throughout the day, it will eventually turn you wrappers, kinda bleach them out. Not a problem really with connecticut claros or even lighter shads of Connecticut, but the Colorado Ckaro and maduro/Oscuro wrappers will definatley be affected in the sense that some of the heavier flavor will be muted fi the wrapper is "bleached" out. I experienc thisa the hard way with a box of Sanat Rosa oscuro i had in a jar that was in full sun...oh well.
2. i would strongly recommed a digital hygro as a backup for the built in dial. They are notorious for "sticking" over time, though an oftne visited cigar should tell the eductaed fingers how happy they are ;)

No real pearls of wisdom here, but like I said I learned the hard way..

again B-E-A utiful glasstop: one of the nicest Iv;e seen. Congrats!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go to the local cigar B&M and pick up a digital hygro. It will be setting on top of my gun safe which is in the corner of my office/man-room away from any direct sun light. What do you guys suggest for a good soak in time before I put cigars into it :?:

That's a nice looking humidor Mike. Congratulations!

I am really happy with the humi-tube beads that I purchased here . I would buy one of these tubes (fitted for your size humidor) before upgrading your hygrometer. (I have serious doubts that either digital or analog hygrometers are really "accurate". They just give you an indication of which direction the humidity is going.) The beads seem to be accurate, well, stable anyway. Let the beads do all of the work for you. That's what I'm doing now.

I would just load up your new humi with cigars and the proper bead-tube, and then keep an eye on it for a month or so. I'll bet it takes at least a month or two for the whole thing to stabilize.

(You may want to verify that with the experts here.)

Enjoy Mike! Happy Easter too. :albino:

I'm in the research stage of buying a humi (it will be a couple of months or more) and have been searching various boards for information. A couple fellows have asked questions about proper seasoning and several dealers have responded with similar answers like this:

Buy a few water pillows (they're cheap, you soak them briefly in distilled water and they slowly release moisture) and place them along with your charged humidification device into the empty humidor for at least a week to allow the dry cedar lining to absorb moisture - some guys recommend re saturating the pillows after the first week and doing this again for a second week. What you are doing is over humidifying the humidor, the humidity will climb into the high 80's, but this will allow for solid seasoning of the wood, allowing the new, dry cedar to become saturated slowly and efficiently. When you are done, let it air out for an hour or two, then place your cigars in there with only the humidification device that you intend to use (toss the pillows). They say that simply placing your humidification device into a new humidor along with your cigars is overtaxing the device, it will not be able to season the humidor and keep your cigars properly humidified, and your cigars will suffer.

Do not wipe the inside of the new humidor down with water, it will shock the wood causing warping issues and will not saturate the cedar properly.

When you say water pillows I am assuming you mean sponges. My very first humidor I put a water soaked sponge in a bowl for about a week and it seemed to work okay. I was surprised what you said about wiping down the sides. This too I did on my first humidor. It wasn't a soaked rag but damp. I did this for about three days running with no ill effects. Maybe I was lucky or the humidor I have has thick Spanish cedar sides. Thanks for the help on this gentleman.

Here's another interesting thread filled with many questions and answers worth pondering. I don't have any expertise in any of this Mike so I want to make sure that you know I am only passing along stuff I'm finding relevant and logical and interesting, stuff worthy of passing along to a friend. Decide for yourself, but I'll be interested in hearing everyones decisions and opinions. I'm hoping to come to some decisions of my own before stocking a new humi (got a couple dozen cigars sitting in limbo in a tupperware, of all things) but I still feel there's a lot to learn, and then there will be the inevitable trial and error too.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145428

I'm looking at buying a nice 100ct desktop and then converting a marine cooler that I already have (basically new and barely ever used) for storing boxes, and I think I'm going to use beads for my humidification.

I'm liking what I am reading about the beads and think I will give them a try. I think I am going to pass on the water pillows for seasoning the humidor and just do the sponge in a bowl routine. I am going to get a digital hygrometer as was also suggested.

I saw a sign one time that read..
We do three types of work here. Fast, Cheap, and Good.
If you want it Fast and Good, it wont be Cheap.
If you want it Good and Cheap, it wont be fast.
If you want it Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good.

It fits in the cigar world to.. Good and Cheap: wipe it with a distilled/purified water soaked Sponge,Let it sit 24 hrs,repeat, do this until you open it one day to find the humidity right were you left it. It isn't fast but nothing in the pipe and cigar world is designed to be 'fast'.

Thanks gentleman for the websiite for the Humi-beads. Ordered enough tubes for the humidor along with a digital hygrometer. Now just counting the days until everything arrives.

Mike,

If it's not too late... I have an extra Digital Hygrometer you can have! It will save you about $20. If you want it just PM me. Hopefully you can change the order. Let me know.

Also, CONGRATS! Great looking humidor! :cheers: Great way to jump into it! Lots of good info. here for you. I think you made a great choice going with the beads. If I had to do it over again, that's the way I would go.

I too wiped down the inside of ALL my humidors! Had no ill efect on them ,but I wouldn't do it again and take the chance!

Enjoy!

Lucky

What are these ill effects your fearing from wiping your humi with purified/distilled water? Its been the STANDARD for at least 100 years. Distilled/Purified water is what's used in the beads,the 'electronic' humidifiers, and even the old flower foam pucks.

The beads will not season his humi any faster. He will still need to get what little bit of wood he has in there to stabalize out.
What they will do is act as a fail safe if his electronic humidifier goes down.

Personally I do not like glass humi's. Light is an enemy of processed tobacco. Thankfully the bigger part of it is designed to hold box's instead of individual sticks.