Check Your Tins, Again!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Yep, another check your tins thread. My two 2oz tins of Bufflehead's arrived in todays mail. A tin of Virginia Ruddy Decoy from 2003 and a tin of Redheaded Decoy from 2004. Packaged perfectly of course. I had dealt with this person before and he's first rate.

I would not expect most people to examine a tin as well as I do. So I would not be surprised at all getting a tin with a flaw in it. I didn't take a pic, but let me describe what I found.

You know these little 2 oz narrow tins. With the pop tops. They have been used by several manufacturers. Well, I have found tiny little rust pits in the bottom and along the side seam in these before. So I examined these two tins for any sign of that. Found none. No pits, or blistering of metal and no stains in the paper label. Good looking tins. Took the lid off. Under that was a round paper disk with the Bufflehead address etc. Looked at the top and missed it at first. But then noticed what looked like a small brown mark along one of the stamped indentations where the pop top would break when bent up. I scraped at it with a toothpick. It seemed to smear.

Odd I thought. I poked it with the toothpick and it went right though with no effort. Dang. A hole says I. So I open the tin. This is a chunky sort of cut tobacco and it was perfectly moist. But in several places a chunk was stuck to the tin and at that point was a tiny bit of rust and what appeared to be a wet piece of tobacco. Along that indentation was a piece stuck to the lid. The brown color was from the piece of tobacco staining the groove. This tin was on it's way to ruination if I hadn't noticed it.

I am blaming no one. I am pointing no fingers. This is not something most people would ever have noticed. It's probably a statistic of the manufacturing process. A certain number will not get perfectly coated inside. A certain number may get too much stress on the grooved pop top and have a minuscule crack. My point is, no matter where you get your tinned tobacco, check the tins. Have jars at the ready.

This Redheaded Decoy is a mighty fine smoke people. It's on the moist side, but lights and burns rather well. 8)

I just started buying tobac that comes in tins. Any reoason I shouldn't just pop them and put the contents right into jars? Im sure this has prob. been beat to death, but would have been before I showed up.

Bd. Bruce

Opening them will stop whatever aging magic that may be taking place. It will restart again, given time. Sealed tins have a value that can be pretty amazing at times. Do whatever you think is right. But I will simply pull a Scrooge McDuck and play in the cellar occasionally. Careful examination from time to time is prudent.

This type of posts freaks me out. All I have in my cellar are tins (with the few exceptions of the Esoterica's and Smokers Haven 8oz bags). Many of them are squared. Every year, in the middle of the summer, I go through every single one to make sure there is no rust or popped lids. None so far yet, thank heavens, but I'm particularly worried about therectangular tins. I'll keep an eye on them, that's for sure.

Guys, get a big cooler that seals well and put one of these in it with your tins.

Ben":6fahniq9 said:
Guys, get a big cooler that seals well and put one of these in it with your tins.
Great idea! Now, why didn't I think of that? :scratch: I have a bunch of it with my cameras and lenses...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to be inventorying my cellar next month, and I'll be sure to check the tins as I go along. I'll report anything that I find that's out of the ordinary.