Chess?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't played in awhile now but when I did play OTB my Chess federation rating was 2080, I played all over the U.S, I've had a few of my games published in Chess life magazine, it's a game you really have to keep on top of. Study, Study, Study.

That's pretty impressive stuff. I sincerely doubt I'll ever get that far into it even if I had the brain power to do it. :lol:

Jason, you and I would be good adversaries, probably caring more about the tobacco we are smoking than the game in front of us.

"Understanding the game, should be sought over memorizing opening moves.
Players who approach the game this way, always advance more quickly and always will be stronger players in the middle and long run."

Excellent advice, Davy. When I first started playing seriously in college, I memorized many of Fishers classic games. But when the opponent didn't move his pawn to KP-K4 on the third move, I was baffled. Learn the concepts of the game, and for laughs, practice mating with just your king, bishop, and knight. And I'm talking "check" mating here, get your minds out of the gutter, guys!

Natch

I used to be very serious about Chess, but haven't played much recently. My best days of playing were back when guys like Arthur Bisguire were (former International Grand Master) in their heyday.

Jay

Anyone collect chess pieces? Neither do I, but this caught my eye. Amber, the erstwhile choice for pipe stems.

chess10.jpg
" />

I play every once in awhile, although I'm not particularly good. One resource to check out is Chess.com, allows you to play against other players in real time, offers tournaments, keeps track of your rank, teaches tactics, drills, openings, videos and lessons. I find it pretty helpful because I'm much more visual when learning chess. I've found it hard to learn from the shorthand commonly seen in books.

Adam

AdamCordray":wr9gcy5g said:
I play every once in awhile, although I'm not particularly good.  One resource to check out is Chess.com, allows you to play against other players in real time, offers tournaments, keeps track of your rank, teaches tactics, drills, openings, videos and lessons.  I find it pretty helpful because I'm much more visual when learning chess.  I've found it hard to learn from the shorthand commonly seen in books.

Adam
Glad to find this revived thread!

I like the idea of playing against humans online. By that I mean that every time I have tried against the computer, even on novice, it kicks my a$$.