chewing tobacco -- like it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benton

Reaction score
My brother is a longtime dipper and likes an occasional cigar or pipe. We were sitting around a campfire, smoking pipes, and he said that I should try chewing tobacco (not dip, which he said was too intense).
It turned out to be good advise, I bought a pouch of Redman and enjoyed it. For one thing, chewing tobacco tastes like pipe tobacco smells, which is great. The nicotine rush is a little too much sometimes, though, even my strongest pipe tobaccos have never given me the hiccups like big gooey blob of Redman.
Overall I enjoyed most of the pouch, except when I put in a bigger pinch than my cheek could hold, which made it impossible to keep from swallowing some juice. GAG! The taste is super-sweet, strong tobacco flavor, with lots of raisin and molasses flavors, too.

I've read that Redman Golden is higher in nicotine, so I'll avoid it, but what about other brands? I'd like to find a chew that is less sweet if I can. All that sugar gets old after a while.

Benton,

It was funny to read your story with Redman. I started on Redman when I was a teenager. I moved up to Copenhagen when I was in the Marines and have chewed it ever since. It has a very natural flavor and takes some getting used to. I have cut way down since taking up the pipe. The only time I do now is ocasionally at work.

-Jeff

I started chewing tobacco when I was 9 years old. All males and some females have chewed tobacco or dipped snuff in my family for as long as I can remember. It was an accepted thing. Though I was allowed to chew tobacco at such a young age, smoking was not allowed though us young'uns did sneak a corn cob with either corn silks, rabbit tobacco or my grandfather's Bugler. Sometimes we just rolled it up in newspaper like a cigarette. Bugler rolling papers were too hard.

As for chewing tobacco. I still chew sometimes but most of the time I dip Copenhagen or something similar. When I chew I prefer plug style tobacco such as Apple or Black Maria. Also, some of the chewing tobacco twist are good. These are not as sweet as some of the pouch chewing tobacco. Beech Nut and Conwood are good pouch tobaccos that aren't as sweet as Redman. Some of the plugs are even sweeter, especially the ones that have the light brown wrapper such as Days Work and Cannon Ball. Conventional snuff such as Peach and Railroad Mills is not bad if you can get use to the dry powdery consistency. I keep a can of it around.

A lot out there to choose from! And the liberals actually think that tobacco is going away.......... :roll: :lol:

Welcome to the fold :D
I chew Redman Golden blend and have never had much issue in the nic dept. I find it "smoother" than reg redman.
You really should try plug like Days Work or Cannon Ball.
I would like to try some twist but the only time I have ever seen it sold was when I was touring War between the states battlefields and was down in Virgina, Arkansas, Tennessee and so forth.
BTW some aromatic blends chew darn good in a pinch.
First time I ever chewed was durring stockshow when I was around 13, buddy had some Skol bandits. We were sure we were all badasses. Cant do the Cope or straight skol as the nic makes me goofyer than a pet coon but I can gut most whole leaf. I think its a body chem/ built up resistance to the nic.
Dan

I use Skoal wintergreen once or twice a day,but my mainstay is nasal snuff during the day since there is no smoking where I work.Good nasal snuff produces an effect similar to the first cigarette of the day for those who know what I mean.I have a coffee after breakfast with a few big pinches of Poschel's Gletscher Prise snuff.I can feel the nicotine rush in my bloodstream instantly. :twisted:

Winslow

Winslow, when I was in school I was introduced to snuff and it about knocked me on my arse. I dident get the name and other brands I have tried had almost no "kick". Do order yours or is there a local B&M? It sounds like what I first tired, at least in the nic dept.
Dan

The American powder snuffs are made for oral use,the British and German snuffs are for the nose.The number 1 seller in the world is Gletscher Prise[Glacier pinch] a peppermint/menthol which I use and reccomend.It is made by Poschel.You can get it on line from Smokingpipes.com among other places.Costs about 2.40 and a tin lasts several days with normal use. 8) 8) 8)

Winslow

I picked up a pouch of Beechnut Fire Cured yesterday. It's milder than Redman, slightly less sweet, and has a smoky flavor. In fact, it tastes like BBQ sauce without the vinegar. After one trial I think that I like it better than Redman. My first impression is that is has less Vitamin N, too, but its hard to say for certain.

The sweet aftertaste of chew also compliments some smokes pretty well. I had a bowl of Trout Stream (butterscotch aromatic) afterwards that was sure good. I've thought about chewing some of the nice-smelling aromatics before also, but chickened out as soon as it hit my tongue. Now that I have figured out that you don't chew a chew very much and that it doesn't spend that much time on the tongue, I'll give it another try.

I read another post somewhere about Black Maria being a less-sweet chew. I'll keep an eye out for it. I guess you don't need to rub out a plug tobacco for chewing do you? Maybe you chew it out instead of rubbing it out. :)

I think I've tried it all in the smokeless tobacco dept. I went to a military boarding school my senior year in HS and that was the only way to go. Although I haven't gotten into the Leaf chew till recently. I feel that dip dries out the mouth too much for me now-a-days. I've started back with Red Man Golden. Gotta love that sweet taste. also
www.pipetobacco.com has a selection of chews of their own.

I use Skoal mint daily. Not as much now that I have picked up the pipe and my humidor is getting more full. I use to chew Levi Garrett when I was younger, but I switched to Skoal while I was in the Army.

I've not been without a can of Copenhagen around somewhere for the past 35 years.

hi all thanks for the tip on pipetabcco.com bubba i just put in a order for some of that stoker Apple Flavored tabcco have you tryed any of the other stoker tabccos thanks for the help

I tried the Peach and loved it. I thought I was actually eating a peach!!!

ill have to try some of that peach to its sounds good its getting to the point here that you cant smoke any where any more i get some weird look when i smoke my pipe when im out and where i work at is smoke free and you cant even chew tabcco there but we still do thanks for the help

I've tried the nasal snuff a couple of times. Really does the trick for Vitamin N. Some of the others BoB members use it as well. That's the great thing about tobacco, There are so many different ways to use it.

yeah that is true but the best way i like it is smoking it in my pipe or chewing it