Chicago Pipe Show Debacle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1a

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. and after having a couple weeks to reflect on the anti/no Smoking debacle at this years Chicago pipe show. I feel a need to step to the head of the Round Table and express a few thoughts.

For those of you that haven't read it this is Craig & Patty Tarlers of Cornell & Diehl take on the situation taken from their webpage:

"Here's a quick recap: the show officers and organizers had worked very hard to insure that attendees would legally be able to smoke in the show room (Mega Center) and the large tent set up outside for socializing. At literally the last moment (April 30) a letter was received from the Dupage County Health Dept. informing the show officers that not only had permission to smoke in the Mega Center been rescinded, the show would be monitored carefully for ANY violation of regulations (no smoking within 15 ft of public entrances, no smoking inside, etc) and it was made clear that any violations not only would definitely result in fines but they made no bones about the fact that not only would violations endanger the entire show, they would happily shut the whole thing down given half a chance. This despite the fact the St. Charles Police Dept. and mayor had insisted and continued to insist that the show arrangements had met and continued to meet the letter of the law.
Now, very quickly, here's the back story; apparently an article had appeared that in short accused the CPCC and Pheasant Run of of using loopholes to get around the spirit of the state no smoking ban. The governor's office received approximately 400 letters protesting this miscarriage of justice. Th governor, already under pressure and investigation for corruption and possibly taking bribes (imagine such a thing in Illinois politics) decided he couldn't take a chance on another hit and applied pressure on Dupage County to do something."

"....... In a true testament to both the resiliency and character of pipe smokers everywhere, not a SINGLE PERSON violated the rules by lighting up out of bounds and jeopardizing the weekend for all concerned. "

I personally do not understand this way of thinking! I wish the show would have fallen on it's face. I am not an anti-smoker, I smoke from the time I get up to the time I go to sleep. I am not against pipe shows. I have attended several. Chicago included. I wish it it would have failed so that the powers that be would have been brought into court after thousands of people and businesses had lost millions of dollars because of their idiotic laws and regulations.

I think many smokers should read the Articles of Confederation, the Bill of Rights, and the essays and diaries of our founding Fathers. Read " On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau written in 1849. It is our duty as Americans to be disobedient to laws that violate our civil rights. The African American community understands that, the gays, women, illegal aliens and just about every other little piss ant group out there understands that. So what is wrong with smokers? I for one will intentionally stand under one of those stupid signs with the smoldering cigarette in the red circle with the line through it and light up my pipe! That sign does not apply to ME. I don't smoke cigarettes! Have I ever been reproached for this? Hell No!

I think we as pipe smokers have a bigger responsibility to lobby and be heard. The pipe makers, Craig and Patty, G.L. Pease and others that are being viewed as a criminal by the anti-smokers for peddling your perfectly legal product have alot to lose!

The Bill of Rights states that "the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people, and reserves all powers not granted to the federal government to the citizenry. The anti-smokers use this clause to their advantage. But they seem to forget the part about "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness". What say Ye?

The Chicago Pipe show was put on by a club. The club asked that everyone abide by the restrictions, no matter how unfair. Apparently everyone who attended did so, and they are to be applauded for that. I am sure that the club will work in a manner they see fit, to continue putting on the best show possible.

Now, if you would like to discuss organizing a smokers Civil Disobedience gathering, separate from the Chicago Pipe show, at another location, by all means, feel free to do so. There is a right time and place for action.

Well the show was no debacle,a good time was had by most.Our little niche
industry certainly hasn't got millions to lose.You would have had to be there
to really understand the situation.The pipe smokers conducted themselves like
gentlemen,nobody wanted to ruin the show and all the hard work that went into it.
There were places to smoke if you wanted to,nice places.
One of the vendors told me it was a blessing for him because by 5PM his eyes
used to get so red and watery from the smoke in previous years.There was a little
grumbling but what the hell,anybody there to have a good time had one.

Winslow

Gentlemen, I am not saying the Chicago pipe show was a debacle. I agree that the CPCC did a fantastic job. Are you missing the point concerning a mere 400 letters to a group of corrupt politicians had more clout than the combined tens of thousands of smokers, their promoters, vendors and support staff attending an event of their unified and LEGAL interest. I only used the Chicago show as an example of what could (and I beleive will) evenually evolve into the national banning of our pipe smoking and tobacco being outlawed completely. Unlike the right to free speech, free press, right to bear arms, etc. smoking is not a right protected under the Constitutional amendments. It can (obviously) be taken away completely by a small group of dedicated individuals. Is it so hard to see what occured at the Chicago PS? I am not trying to invoke an argument with all of you. I think we should all be concerned with what occured at Chicago. Yes, we were gentlemen and the anti's went away with what they see as a BIG victory. Google some of the anti-smoking yahoo groups. Read what they have to say. I'm not just here to bitch about this! I'm ready to do something, but I can't do it myself.

I too am one for ACTION, the question is what is the right action?? the way i figure it i pay THOUSANDS a week to fuel my truck to live in the pursuit of happiness, and a SMALL but vocal minority is going to try to take away my RIGHT to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of HAPPINESS??? Isnt everyone fed up with these people?? I for one dont believe moderate pipe smoking is dangerous to anyone or anything other than my wallet. Maybe its time for good ol' civil disobedience after all. First place to start? you cant smoke within 15 feet of a door in downtown chicago. this is utter nonsense.

I had a great time at the show, smoking or not. I am not one for "giving up", but we are fighting a losing battle. You can scream, stomp your feet, write a gazillion letters or whatever, but banning smoking is worldwide and it's like a freight train running through every city and state; I don't really see it ending any time soon, if at all. I am sure most (or all) of you don't agree with what I am saying, but this is just my opinion on the subject. Cigarettes ruined it for everyone, but I don't have to have a pipe or cigar in my mouth to enjoy myself. Flame away, if you must.