Chicago Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
Next week is the really big show,I wonder how many of you boys will attend?
And how shall we recognize each other?Many of us do not look like our avatars.
Amy suggestions?

Winslow

I'll be there. At 300 pounds in an orange shirt, I'm hard to miss. Just look for the great pumpkin.

Unfortunately I had to cancel going. All the rooms were booked out at Pheasant Run, but now that my reservation is canceled there is a room. Who knows if it is taken already. If you know of someone who is looking for a room, please pass this message.

I plan to be at the show from early Friday thru Sunday evening. Safe travels all! :shock:

i decided to pass this year.. If you can go, I suggest you do so... We have 2 children including a 4 month old that would make the trip well not that much fun particuarly for my wife . Last year we went with my 2 year old daughter and she had a blast. She put that corncob in her mouth and some of the old timers really got a kick out of it. The other deciding factor was the smoking ban. No matter what the organization does to accomplish the show that certainly puts a damper on the festivities. Hopefully they will move the show next year to a friendlier enviroment that is glad to have the show and all that it brings to the table. That is not a shot at the Pheasant Run resort as everyone was very friendly last year and seemed very happy to have us.The silent auction was fabulous and worth checking out as well. The Resturant also had some kick ass barbeque ribs. To all going enjoy, Even though I wont be there you can bet part of me still wants to be.

I'll be there....getting pretty excited!
I too am a little bummed about the smoking ban, but it is what it is and I plan to have a good time regardless!
I pray that the weather gets warmer. If it's cold and rainy (which is what is predicted) the tent thats set up may get a bit crowded, and not to mention smoky!

There can't exist anywhere in the world the atmosphere that was/is at that show,
hundreds of different blends burning all at once.No B&M will ever come close to the
smell of that show.

Winslow

The smoking ban at the show is not the preference of the Pheasant Run Resort; it is the work of the Illinois legislature which enacted one of the nation's toughest smoking bans. The PR Resort had this thing rammed down their throat and they have worked hard to help the show work around it. They've been incredibly cooperative from what I understand.

We're lucky to have a show at all considering the obstacles that the law put in place. If it weren't for the inventiveness and ingenuity of Frank Burla and his team, it wouldn't happen.

The only way that the show will be held anywhere "friendlier" is if it leaves Illinois for some state with less draconian smoking laws. Given the sweep of smoking bans, there are very few states where the show could happen in the same way that it used to.

Those days are over.

Personally, I'm grateful that we have the show that we do. And I'm glad/proud to be able to be there.

Well said Neil!

BTW: I am bring a tin of Stonehenge, John Cotton's # 1&2 Medium, and Cotton's #1 Mild for us to enjoy together.......plus a bunch of other tasty treats!

Bruce, you're bringing all my faves! Man! I can't wait.....

I can't bring anything more interesting than that....well, maybe one thing. I'll tell ya when I see ya!

Is there anyone going who would be willing to be Pipetalk's 'field reporter' for that show? Neither Matt nor I can make it to Chicago(work interferes unfortunately), but if we can get someone who is willing to bring a recorder with them, I would be willing to bang it into shape and release it in the podcast. Who knows, if the person who does this enjoys it and does well we may add a new cast member. :pipe: