Chicago

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that hard to believe. You would think that there'd be spent bullets lying all around within inches or each other.
And not that firing any weapon in the air is good policy but, when was the last time you heard of anyone being fatally hurt by a falling bullet. Oh, it might sting a bit if you had one hit ya on the top of the head the same a penny would but, the law of physics prevails here I believe.  ;) 

I read that, and had to have a good chuckle. The truth is, that since the Concealed Carry Law has gone into effect in Illinois, the crime rate has actually dropped (according to the latest information). It has been less than a year, so the numbers may be a bit skewed. I was in Chicago for a few months in 1998. I actually was in the Cabrini Greens area. Was it dangerous? Yes, but really no more than walking down the street in Houston. I even wore my cowboy hat in the "hoods" there. I think I was more a curiosity than anything, but no one ever messed with me. As is, gun violence is way over-hyped by the media. In fact, more people die in transportation (car, truck, motorcycle, etc) accidents than by all the gun inflicted wounds every year, by a large margin. ie, in the year 2000, there were approx 11000 gun inflicted deaths (230 assault, and 10,801 self inflicted) and over 46,700 transportation accident deaths. See HERE

Cartaphilus":zf5nkycg said:
I find that hard to believe. You would think that there'd be spent bullets lying all around within inches or each other.
And not that firing any weapon in the air is good policy but, when was the last time you heard of anyone being fatally hurt by a falling bullet. Oh, it might sting a bit if you had one hit ya on the top of the head the same a penny would but, the law of physics prevails here I believe.  ;) 
Cart, "The Onion" is a satirical "news" site.   :) 

But people do get killed by falling bullets, especially if they are fired into the sky at an angle, which most are:  http://forensicoutreach.com/the-falling-bullet-myths-legends-and-terminal-velocity/

Rad

Rad Davis":7dbc87cn said:
Cartaphilus":7dbc87cn said:
Cart, "The Onion" is a satirical "news" site.   :) 

But people do get killed by falling bullets, especially if they are fired into the sky at an angle, which most are:  http://forensicoutreach.com/the-falling-bullet-myths-legends-and-terminal-velocity/

Rad
Well, let me just say this, I don't fire weapons in the air and I'm not sure if I believe
that a spent bullet that weighs on average a few grams can do that. I'm not from Missouri but, they'll have to show me.

Laughable and utter rot. If 75% of the air (atmosphere) consisted of material derived from bullets no one would be able to breath, end of. I would just love to see the data from that study. I'm finding it hard to type as I'm laughing so much. Poppy Cock.

Just out of curiosity: a falling spherical 200 gr bullet in .45 would reach a terminal velocity of nearly 5 mph. Hardly impressive or lethal. Such a bullet would be made of tantalum or of an alloy with similar density (heavier than lead but lighter than uranium). :)

Stick, The Onion is a Satire. They make stuff up like that all the time just for laughs. Mainly to make a point about the absurdity of things.

As far as the ability to be killed from a falling bullet, it has happened. Remember, aerodynamics, wind, and weather conditions all play a part in the speed/ lethality of the bullet. By the way, if you just dropped a bullet, everyone is right, it would put a knot on one's head, and that is about it. However, bullets fired from a gun travel in a parabolic trajectory while spinning to create a stable flight path. This allows the bullet to fly faster than terminal velocity, thus allowing for serious damage. No matter how vertical one shoots the bullet in the air, it will follow a parabolic flight path due to air movement, earth's rotation, and fluid dynamics. I for one, would rather NOT be in the path of a falling bullet.

Wet Dottle":cvg16yiz said:
Just out of curiosity: a falling spherical 200 gr bullet in .45 would reach a terminal velocity of nearly 5 mph. Hardly impressive or lethal. Such a bullet would be made of tantalum or of an alloy with similar density (heavier than lead but lighter than uranium). :)
I don't know how you arrived at 5 mph, but it's actually closer to a little over 200 mph.

Rad

d4klutz":1jhaa5qx said:
Stick,  The Onion is a Satire.  They make stuff up like that all the time just for laughs.  Mainly to make a point about the absurdity of things.  
Oh. I see. *hangs his head in shame and walks off to have a good chat with himself*

Rad Davis":o7ba6mh6 said:
Wet Dottle":o7ba6mh6 said:
I don't know how you arrived at 5 mph, but it's actually closer to a little over 200 mph.  

Rad
Yes, I messed up. Not proud of it. Should have checked the back-of-the-envelope calculations I did before posting it. The terminal velocity for a sphere of lead in air with .45" in diameter is actually about 115 mph and it will weigh approximately 137 gr.

d4klutz":1jxup28o said:
 I was in Chicago for a few months in 1998.  I actually was in the Cabrini Greens area.  Was it dangerous?  Yes, but really no more than walking down the street in Houston.  I even wore my cowboy hat in the "hoods" there.  I think I was more a curiosity than anything, but no one ever messed with me.
Jeez JP, you're a braver man than me. Cabrini Green is arguably the most dangerous and violent area in all of Chi town.

When I lived in the Milwaukee area back in the 80's, a bud and myself would occasionally have a day in the loop taking in various bars and restaurants and such. One of the roads in from the tollway was through a section of Cabrini Green on the southern fringe, and I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough!

In fact one Indian restaurant we ate at was literally on the border of the high rise tenements. We didn't know this beforehand, but it all became clear when we arrived there. Needless to say we ate and got out of there asap!

Why in the world would you want to actually walk around that area?

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR

I live in Illinois but have only been to Chicago once, I prefer to just stay on the other side of the state.

Brewdude":1e2v9toa said:
d4klutz":1e2v9toa said:
 I was in Chicago for a few months in 1998.  I actually was in the Cabrini Greens area.  Was it dangerous?  Yes, but really no more than walking down the street in Houston.  I even wore my cowboy hat in the "hoods" there.  I think I was more a curiosity than anything, but no one ever messed with me.
Jeez JP, you're a braver man than me. Cabrini Green is arguably the most dangerous and violent area in all of Chi town.

When I lived in the Milwaukee area back in the 80's, a bud and myself would occasionally have a day in the loop taking in various bars and restaurants and such. One of the roads in from the tollway was through a section of Cabrini Green on the southern fringe, and I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough!

In fact one Indian restaurant we ate at was literally on the border of the high rise tenements. We didn't know this beforehand, but it all became clear when we arrived there. Needless to say we ate and got out of there asap!

Why in the world would you want to actually walk around that area?

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR
BD, The man must stand almost 7 foot tall, who's gona mess with that? When he was here any time he stood up it felt like a Sequoia had just sprouted up next to me. He's a good man to have around when shade is in short supply.  ;) 
Gee, hope he has a good sense of humor too?  :silent: 

I have done all my calculations on an abbacus and double checked it with the good
Old fashion finger and toe count and have found the falling bullet to hit at approximately 98 Newton meters or approximately half a sack of rotten potatoes

Wet Dottle":s3r7hfjg said:
Rad Davis":s3r7hfjg said:
Wet Dottle":s3r7hfjg said:

Rad
Yes, I messed up. Not proud of it. Should have checked the back-of-the-envelope calculations I did before posting it. The terminal velocity for a sphere of lead in air with .45" in diameter is actually about 115 mph and it will weigh approximately 137 gr.
Please don't forget to show your work.  :lol: 

The site I linked to said the terminal velocity for falling bullets was about 300 ft per second (a little over 200 mph), and if fired at a 20-40 degree angle could be much higher than that.

I'm not saying they're right, but they seemed to know what they were talking about.  :) 

Rad

Nonsense. We must test this data. Everyone that insist it wouldn't be lethal get out in the field. Everyone that thinks it would be lethal grab a gun. We will get to the bottom of this!

115 mph or 200 mph

Have you seen a baseball @ 90 mph?

A paintball gun is 300 fps = 204 mph

I will take the gun side of PB's experiment.

puros_bran":vbzh0fi8 said:
Nonsense.  We must test this data.  Everyone that insist it wouldn't be lethal get out in the field.  Everyone that thinks it would be lethal grab a gun.  We will get to the bottom of this!
Excellent idea.  Or try dropping a 230 grain .45 bullet on your skull from overhead arm's length.  It smarts like hell, but I find it useful for waking up in the morning, and before typing anything on this site.   :geek:

Cabrini Green is no longer around.

I liked Chicago. It was one of my favorite cities. I'm not sure now. I haven't spent much time there since 2001.