Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show 2015

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Presented by the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club
Show Dates: MAY 2 AND 3, 2015
Show Times: SATURDAY, 10AM TILL 5PM
SUNDAY, 9AM TILL 5PM
Admission: $15.00 (FOR ONE OR BOTH DAYS).
Location: THE MEGA CENTER, PHEASANT RUN RESORT, 4051 EAST MAIN STREET, ST. CHARLES, ILLINOIS 60174. FOR ROOM RESERVATIONS, CALL 630-584-6300 OR 800-999-3319. MENTION THE SHOW FOR SPECIAL RATES.
http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/show_information/show_default.php

There is a lot of things happening around the show.  The pipe making seminar starts on Wednesday morning, April 29.  There is something happening each day, including Monday, May 4th for those that have not flown out yet.

I can tell you that there maybe one place open in the pipe making seminar.  If you want in, ask me for details and I will get a contact number to call.

I am trying to get permission to list a lot of the details for this years show.  I will add what I can later.

2nd annual TOBACCO BOWL. This year's tobacco will be Virginia and Virginia/Perique.
This is a good time.  Samples of all the entrants are available in the tent.  Announcement of the winner (people's choice) and runners up is usually a fun affair.  Has been done on Saturday afternoons.  There were many good samples to smoke last year.  I had trouble getting though them all in time for judging.

With this year being our 20th anniversary, we will be running a full page advertisement in Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine.
Wow!  20 years!  Congratulations to the CPCC!  :sunny:

SPEAKERS:

Ben Rappaport will be giving a speech/seminar on CIVIL WAR PIPES at 2 P.M. Friday afternoon in the Mega Center. The subjects will include the various woods and other materials (not briar) used by the soldiers of both the North and South to fashion into workable pipes.

Cornelius Crans will be speaking on the history of clay pipes at 5 P.M. in the Mega Center

Rob Cooper will be speaking on the subject of pipe smoking techniques for young/new smokers at 9 P.M. in the smoking tent? Rob will also be giving away a free, shiny, new, Dunhill pipe, and while this speech is mostly for younger and inexperienced smokers, I don't think Rob will kick us old farts out. Boy, did I just envision a whole HERD of guys running for this speech/seminar!!!

GLASS DISPLAY CASES:

William Hart: will be displaying his collection of Lee Von Erck pipes

Ben Rappaport: will be displaying his collection of Civil War pipes (Doctor of Pipes Display)

Cornelius Crans: Display of Dutch clay pipes and a special historical mould from Royal Goedewaagen.

And finally: the CPCC will have a special 20th anniversary display of past posters and pipes.

CIGAR DINNER:
Tickets for our annual Cigar Dinner are available at $65.00 per person. Contact Craig for your tickets...
http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/show_information/flyers.php

I will list the website for the program as soon as I see it.  Expect some more events.  These guys are always working hard to improve upon, and add more vendors.  :sunny:

Here is some new information for those wishing to sell pipes etc. at the Chicago show.  I think it's explained well.  Any questions, please ask.  Happy to discuss it and tell you what I have seen.  I can get you into contact with the show officers and club for further information.  They are not trying to discourage selling/trading.  Room is limited in the smoking tent and when it's busy, it can get crowded.  These rules are meant for the smoking tent.   :sunny:  

TENT SELLING:
After the 2014 show, we received a number of complaints about the various pipe makers/sellers taking over almost all of the tables to the point where you couldn't even sit down and enjoy a pipe and a drink with your friends!! As a result of this, new rules are being implemented at our 2015 show and are as follows...

SELLING IN THE TENT AT ROUND TABLES IS ALLOWED ONLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING RULES:

Sellers may take only ONE seat at a round table, and may/shall display and sell only at the pie shaped area in front of their seat (1/10th of the table), out of respect for others who may wish to sit and smoke at the table. NO containers of ANY KIND will be allowed on the round tables, standup tables, cocktail tables or lounge furniture!!!  

HOURS OF SALES:

Wednesday, from noon until midnight, selling is permitted.

Thursday, from 7 A.M. until 6 P.M. selling is permitted.
Thursday, from 6 P.M. to 10 P.M. NO selling is allowed during the Chicago Cigar Show.
Thursday, from 10 P.M. to midnight, selling IS permitted.

Friday, from 6 A.M. until 4 P.M. selling is allowed ONLY in accordance with the Swap and Smoke pre-show event.
Friday, from 4 P.M. to midnight, selling is permitted.

Saturday, NO selling will be allowed before OR during the show!!! Selling IS permitted from 5 P.M. to midnight.

Sunday, NO selling will be allowed before OR during the show!!! Selling IS permitted from 5 P.M. until the tent closes early Monday morning.

And Finally, NO selling is allowed on cocktail tables, lounge furniture, or standup tables in the tent!!!

VIOLATORS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL FROM THE TENT BY HOTEL SECURITY!!!!!!    VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE...

Updates!

The pipe seminar for this year is full.  However, there could be a 13th spot open.  There may also be a waiting list if you wish to get on it.  Let me know and I will get you the contact information.

The information about the selling in the tent.  The definition of the wording on the containers, briefcases, and suitcases, etc. is evolving.  I have edited it above.  That may not be the final wording on the matter.

More info as I get it.  Any questions, please ask and I will pass on the contact information.  

The CPCC has a Facebook page also.

https://www.facebook.com/TheChicagolandPipeCollectorsClub

Not sure I can make it, but you guys have a great time :suspect:

Hello folks!
I would like to know if there is a list who from the pipe makers
Will attend at the show this year?

I have not seen a list of vendors yet. But I will ask. There are over 300 tables in the main show. This is a major show and most pipe makers try to get here if they do shows. There are pre-show sales. Post-show sales. Sellers in their rooms who post notices on the displays set up in the mail lobby, near the tower elevator, and in the smoking tent. There may even be new pipe makers selling with established makers. Lots of opportunities.

Carlos

michael drue":sfdj4zra said:
Hello folks!
I would like to know if there is a list who from the pipe makers
Will attend at the show this year?

More news.

Some additional information for my friends in the area and those long distance friends attending The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club show at the beginning of May. We're having a cigar night!

The Chicago Pipe Show will continue a new event started last year: THE CHICAGO CIGAR SHOW on Thursday, April 30, 2015, from 6 pm to 10 pm. Unlike most cigar shows, this cigar show is FREE! No tickets, you enter the show free, enjoy appetizers, visit great cigar retailers and buy the cigars you want at special show prices. This new event is in the tent, so you can smoke your new cigars, or your pipe. Pheasant Run is offering golf before the Show at special discount prices. Food and adult beverages will also be available at regular prices at the show.

Cigars? At a pipe show? Yes, we all smoke cigars, so let’s enjoy one night devoted to our alternative smoke and attend this event in the Tent. Eat, drink and smoke! Open and free to all.

Thanks for the info, i am asking because i am not sure if German makers like F.Axmacher J.Moritz
W.Becker will attend, because on the same day there will be the Lohmar Pipeshow in Germany this year.

Could be that they stay in Germany...

Michael

But on the other hand there will be so many others as well.... it will be fun! i cant wait :bounce:

The attendance list is changing daily. So it's real hard I am told to get an accurate list. But they should have a table list published for the show. Remember, not everyone gets a table. There are opportunities for sales from Wednesday prior to the show until the last person flys out on Monday. This is a 6 day event, with the main show on Saturday and Sunday.

Also, one year I knew a favorite maker was ill and not able to attend. Yet he still donated a pipe to the silent auction, which I bought, and the dealers had plenty of his work at the show.

The pre-show on Friday morning has been very intense. Crammed into a smaller space in the smoking tent, it's been a lot of fun.

I bring a little bit of time with me, because this year I will stay
From saturday to sunday.

michael drue":ry7q1w34 said:
Thanks for the info, i am asking because i am not sure if German makers like F.Axmacher J.Moritz
W.Becker will attend, because on the same day there will be the Lohmar Pipeshow in Germany this year.

Could be that they stay in Germany...

Michael

But on the other hand there will be so many others as well....  it will be fun! i cant wait :bounce:  
Do you have a link to the Lohmar show? I have seen reports and pictures from it over the years
but I can't find anything about this years event. I would miss Wolfgang Becker, I have a small collection of his pipes and I almost always win one of his tampers in the silent auction.
I have a feeling the high dollar low Euro will keep some of the Europeans at home. :shock:

You can look it up by Youtube Ralligruftie is the uploader.
Or type Lohmar Pfeifenmesse

The German Pipesmoker community is very active by Youtube
So you will find some post show videos for exsample from the silverfox
David...
Volker Bier is a pipemaker and the Host
Of the show in Lohmar.

Two very different shows. I suspect both crowds will have a great time. I hope we have nice weather. With the golf course right there close, it always looks so green and alive in the spring.

Some news from the CPCC Newletter. They just had a meeting.

Shameless plug for the CPCC. For those that might be near enough and who may wish to become members. Or if you want more information, just ask. I can put you in contact with real officers of the club who can answer all your questions.

MEETING SCHEDULE:

May 23rd: "THE GREAT POST-SHOW POW WOW' at 8to8 Cigar Shop 6:30-10:00 P.M.
June 27th: Regular meeting at 8to8 Cigar Shop 6:30-10:00 P.M.
July 18th: Regular meeting at 8to8 Cigar Shop 6:30-10:00 P.M.

The CPCC has a new website. It's under construction and I am not sure of the link. Once I get that nailed down, I will pass it on.

More show info.

Chicago Bowl competition starts Friday morning at 9AM and ends Saturday at 4PM. Winner will be announced at the Cigar Dinner Saturday evening. Word will spread around really quick. Eight entrants this year. Big names all! I understand that there are seats still available for the Saturday evening Cigar Dinner. You usually get a bag of goodies at that affair. Contact Craig Cobine or Tom Dinelli for tickets.

Chicago Cigar show is Thursday 6PM to 10PM in the tent. This is the free affair. There are seven vendors that have committed to be there. Food and drink available in the tent also.

Members like me, who don't live nearby, can find Tom Dinelli to the left of the entrance doors at a table Saturday morning. We can pick up our badges to get into the show from him or whomever else may be manning the table. I paid my dues over the winter so I will be on his list. I am always on someone's list it seems. We cannot get in early, but it beats the long line. If you owe dues, they will be collecting. But no early tickets for the show.

Do not forget to get your ticket to the free Friday evening buffet. Usually those can be found at the information window just around the corner, and in the hallway behind the front lobby desk. Where the indoor/outdoor pool is. Unless it's part of your vendor packet, or gets handed to you at some other point.

Any other questions, please ask.

Hi Carlos. A quick question I have for you and anyone else who might be able to answer. For the last few years I have gone to the show on Saturday- driving up and returning the same day. While I would love to settle in for the full event, it's not been feasible as yet. This year, I have a family obligation on Saturday (much to my chagrin) and won't be able to make my annual sojourn. What I am considering, however, is to come up on Sunday. I have heard in the past that Sunday can be a bit of a bust as many vendors pack up and leave early Sunday or even before. I know I will miss much of the elements that make the show so special to me (silent auction, blind taste test contest, etc) but I wonder, in your opinion(s), if it's worth making the trip out for Sunday only?

I am one of those early birds. Arrive on Wednesday and leave Sunday before noon. Usually I am grabbing a sandwich at the McDonald’s in Oglesby for lunch. So you know I don't really stick around. But there is still plenty of tables and the main vendors like C&D there. Plus Sunday is the smoking competition. A highly competitive event that I do not know all the rules of. I think your entry gets you a nice pipe. A Viprati pipe I think. Don't quote me on the slow smoking competition details. But I can ask for them if someone is interested.

I don't want to discourage anyone from coming up. The slower pace of Sunday can often times lead to some great deals I am told.

The show schedule can be found here. http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/

Get someone to ride up with you. Make the trip go quicker. You are closer than I am.

Great info, Carlos. I had forgotten about the slow smoking competition as I'm usually not there to enjoy. I tend to go up with my partner in crime, but I've yet to break the news to him just yet. I'll strongly consider it either way. I would hate to miss out on being at least some part of the 20th and quite honestly, the Chicago show is something I look forward to on the drive back home from it every year.

I would make the drive, Peoria isn't that far. I'd get up and drive up early and be enjoying a pipe and coffee in the peaceful tent before the show opens at nine. The tables are full till around noon when some guys start packing up but you will find sellers who stick around all day. :shock: