Chicagoland International Pipe & Tobacciana Show 2015

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Dave. That's kind of my feeling as well. The drive isn't bad at all (excluding the year I got ticketed on my way up). I had just heard a lot of gloom and doom stories about seller presence on Sunday. That combined with how much I love the silent auction was just making me a bit dubious. As of now, I'm pretty much set on making the trip Sunday. I'll be happy to get at least some time in at the show this year as opposed to missing it entirely. Might be as good of an excuse as any to balance it out by staying Thursdsy through Sunday next year.

hope to see some of you there this year. I will be at my table so please come introduce yourself. I am bringing 14 pipes with me this year, should be lots of fun.

rev

Been running into the fellows.  Vermont Freehand musta brought a semi-load of all the stuff anyone could ever use to make pipes and stems and stuff.  Armloads of ebonite are being seen.  https://www.facebook.com/VermontFreehand

And the pre-show starts this morning.  Some of the makers are down to just a few pipes already.  The pre-show Friday edition will be intense.

I stopped into "Kiss the Sky Records" in Batavia Wednesday on the way here.  About 6 miles away or so.  Got some great vinyl records.  Bought some cigars at the local vendors sale in the tent last evening.  I have a Kentucky Fire Cured and a Camacho Ecuador for later.  I bought two of Mark Ryan's 1881 perique maduro cigars.  Had one last night and it was fantastic.

Pic later of the pipe I bought from David at DSH pipes.

I swear, I do not know where that half-bottle of Bulleit Rye went.  Headed out for breakfast.

Carlos  :sunny:

Bulleit Rye is history. Tried some Franklin Reserve and some Johnny Walker Double Black. Great stuff!

Mark Ryan told our little group last night all about perique. Nice question and answer session in the smoking lounge in the Golf Wing. His cigars are fantastic.

Having to carefully approach the Chicago Bowl competition. Ran into a bitey blend and some overly mild stuff.

Big show starts today!

Well, I survived. Man what a great time. Big crowd. Better crowd in my judgement than that we have had for several years. Friday pre-show was very intense and lasted well into the afternoon. The smoking lounge in the huge 3000sqft apartment at the end of the Golf Wing was a big hit as well.

I picked up an old coin open tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium and a Peter Heeschen pipe in the silent auction.

A few pics later. I don't take many

Well I took everyone's advice and made my way to the show today. Awfully glad I did. It's definitely a different atmosphere on Sunday. Very laid back and I was pleased to see so many sellers still hanging around. Several new pipe makers were there and I had a chance to meet with some fresh faces as well as some of the usual talents. I did end up picking up a Grant Batson pipe - so that's one more maker off my bucket list. I'll post pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the final push I needed to get there today.

I will try to get some pics up soon. I have been trying to get caught up. Mowed grass three days in a row when I got back. Got rained on a bit. Getting some garden in. Had some flowering bushes to plant to keep Cathy happy. Been helping some friends with Gooberment paperwork and got that project done.

So, first day to relax a bit. But I need to go to the store and also fill my mower gas cans.

Chicago was a great time. Met lots of new folks. Talked with some giants in the pipe collectors end of the hobby. I need to dig in the cellar and send a few things off. Try to get that done today.

Later
Carlos