Chocolate Flake - Gawith Hoggarth vs Samuel Gawith?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've recently become a fan of Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky (a surprise to me), which has raised my interest in trying other flavoured flakes. My experience with straight VA's has not been that favourable,but DSK's Burley/Virginia blend I find quite tasty.

Both Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth Chocolate Flakes follow the Burley/Virginia route, with some Latakia added which is just fine by me. If I'm reading the online reviews correctly, The GH Bob's Choc Flake is a Lakeland blend, so folks seem to either love it or hate it. I have no experience with Lakelands, so can't say if I'd enjoy the tobacco.

I've enjoyed a few other Sam Gawith blends, so I'm somewhat leaning in that direction for a first purchase. I'd love to get feedback from those of you who have smoked both blends.

SG Choc Flake is one of my all time favourites. I unfortunately haven't had the Gawith Hoggarth one yet.

I'm in the other camp, love the G H Bob's Chocolate Flake, but haven't tried the SG Chocolate. Though I find the 'chocolate' flavor light, I believe it might have more to do with the tobaccos in the blend than the topping..

There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin).  I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's

DrT999":216nwnz6 said:
There ain't much chocolate in Bob's Chocolate Flake (maybe more 'white chocolate' along with the vanilla and tonquin).  I prefer GH's Scotch Flake, not sweet or floral, but with just a bit stronger chocolate and tad less vanilla than Bob's
I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!

DrT999":ju2axk20 said:
Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.

OP, I smoke the non-aromatic Scotch Flake. The aromatic has a floral note I don't care for, but some say they are both similar.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

ontariopiper":mkyude61 said:
Having a bit of trouble tracking this one down exactly. There seem to be two version? One called Scotch Flake and one called Scotch Flake Aromatic. There is some suggestion that these are the same blend packaged differently, but I can't verify that.
Ontario, I learned a while ago that they are different. The scented version advertises the chocolate/vanilla addition. I have smoked the scented version before and it's no more floral than Bob's. I haven't smoked the unscented version. I would imagine based on his review, DrT is referring to the scented flake.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?Blend=scotch+flake

DrumsAndBeer":itw0grlz said:
ontariopiper":itw0grlz said:
Ontario, I learned a while ago that they are different. The scented version advertises the chocolate/vanilla addition. I have smoked the scented version before and it's no more floral than Bob's. I haven't smoked the unscented version. I would imagine based on his review, DrT is referring to the scented flake.

Thanks DB!

ontariopiper":i5o96ews said:
DrumsAndBeer":i5o96ews said:
ontariopiper":i5o96ews said:

Thanks DB!
Yes, sorry; some places that just sell the Scotch Flake actually mean the scented version as well -- it can get confusing!

Sorry for chiming in on an old thread, but just happened into it...

One of my go to smokes is a 50/50 Blend of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong and Gawith Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake (not original to me). My guess is the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is pretty similar to the Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong, which is also a blend that uses Dark Fired Kentucky. So that would likely work well too.

The Dark Strong knocks me on my butt straight, but has an amazing depth and richness that I love. Dark Kentucky has a very high nicotine content, and that seems to hold true even when it's fired. The Bob's is a bit too sweet for me straight, but works great to smooth out and mellow the Dark Strong while adding some sweetness to it...

Lakeland tobaccos tend to be a bit "perfumy" right at first. Bob's is certainly guilty of this, and it can be a distraction for me on the first couple of puffs, even in the 50/50 blend, but that settles out quickly into a nice smooth and subtle sweetness.

As a side note: I live in Murray Kentucky. We're in the heart of the Black Patch region where Dark Kentucky is grown. I've played around with growing a few plants the last couple of years. Still figuring out what to do with it. Would love to find a way to fire it, but short of building a miniature tobacco barn I'm not sure how I'd do it and get the same affect...

There is also G&H Louisiana Perique Flake. Have not tried it, is on the to get list.......

GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

Resurrecting the Dead :cheers:

Perdurabo":pspqvj1u said:
GH BCF is more powdered chocolate with tonquin and vanilla. Of course it's floral/lavender...

SG Chocolate is so different it almost comes across as a Balkan, until Bob is totally forgotten.  Then a dark chocolate Drifts  to the nose.  Simply exquisite.

?
There is (of course?) no lavender in Bob's Chocolate Flake at all & nothing that noticebly resembles Tonquin

Bugsahearn":6tj7gdha said:
Perdurabo":6tj7gdha said:

?
There is (of course?) no lavender in Bob's Chocolate Flake at all & nothing that noticebly resembles Tonquin
We all taste differently, and to me, there is a mild floral element in BCF, as well as (IMO) a stronger vanilla presence than that of chocolate. I think a strong vanilla/mild floral profile could cross over to believing there's tonquin in a blend, but others might taste tonquin differently

DrT999":7yu3tir3 said:
Bugsahearn":7yu3tir3 said:
Perdurabo":7yu3tir3 said:

?
We all taste differently, and to me, there is a mild floral element in BCF, as well as (IMO) a stronger vanilla presence than that of chocolate.  I think a strong vanilla/mild floral profile could cross over to believing there's tonquin in a blend, but others might taste tonquin differently
Maybe but probably because many people don't understand what Tonquin tastes like. I too get a very vanilla-chocolate, sometimes I even mix in some Vanilla Flake. Either way there us nothing like lavender in the blend

Bob's CF has always tasted slightly floral to me, but only in that ubiquitous Gawith & Hoggarth kind of way. I usually get just a hint of "the flavor" on the finish and a quick hit of it on first light. But it definitely doesn't strike me as anything specific like the rose geranium in Grasmere or heliotrope in Kendal Flake. Ironically I have never tasted chocolate smoking Bob's, only a floral note and a fleeting hint of the latakia from time to time.

I find Bob's CF to be an enjoyable smoke. On the other hand, SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake tastes absolutely dreadful to me.

It occurred to me that I once got in some of the G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake many moons ago. Just ferreted it out and will have a go at it sometime soon to see if the L-character is tolerable. If not it'll go up for sale in the trade forum.

I do remember liking the Sammy G's Chocolate Flake, but it's been a while since I've had it and don't think I have any on hand. Might just sneak a tin into my next order.

Cheers,

RR