Christmas Cheer 2013

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepesdad1

Reaction score
Opened the first of several tins of Christmas Cheer 2013 yesterday.  Sweet delicious deep flavor...really nice in a cob.

Anybody else tried this?  How do you like it?

I picked up two tins at my local B&M a few days ago. I have smoked probably 4 bowls out of it and they have all been delicious. It is very sweet and has a nice thick smoke and mouth feel. I didn't let the first bowl dry out enough and got bitten a little bit (I'll chaulk this up to inexperience). All in all I think it was a great introduction into Flake for me. I have nothing to compare it to, so can't help you on how it compares to other years, though. I will be buying a few more tins to put away for a while, that's for sure.

Did the same exact thing...was in such a rush, that I didn't let the tobacco dry enough (Aj smacking me in the head)...waited a few hours and the wonderful flavor came through...deep and rich tasting.

I'll be buying a few more tins for the cellar.

IMHO, a good drying is needed with all McClellend's pressed broken flakes, from FM Cake 2000 to Blackwoods Flake. It's essential not only as far as avoiding bite, but it really helps performance as well as unlocking some of the more delicate flavors, especially with the black stoved stuff.

DrumsAndBeer":tbbt8trk said:
IMHO, a good drying is needed with all McClellend's pressed broken flakes, from FM Cake 2000 to Blackwoods Flake. It's essential not only as far as avoiding bite, but it really helps performance as well as unlocking some of the more delicate flavors, especially with the black stoved stuff.
Good advice...Aj has been drumming this into my head with regard to all tobaccos.  As usual, right!

pepesdad1":1pklm2ad said:
Did the same exact thing...was in such a rush, that I didn't let the tobacco dry enough (Aj smacking me in the head)...waited a few hours and the wonderful flavor came through...deep and rich tasting.

I'll be buying a few more tins for the cellar.
It's so hard to teach an old dog new tricks. :fpalm: Glad you finally got it figured out. :bounce: :cheers: 

AJ

I haven't tried cc13 but the point on drying mcc flakes is well taken.

I'll play contrarian again:

While I don't smoke many McClelland blends, I do smoke quite a bit of McClelland tobacco. Principally Blackwoods Flake, Christmas Cheer and 2015. I'm sure I have smoked more of their stuff, but nothing is coming to mind right now. In any event, I find that while the tobacco might be "moist" right out of the tin, the moisture content is pretty much spot on. I rub it out and load it right up with no ill effect. In fact, I find that when dried it tends to loose its sweetness and if dried too much can actually taste like ammonia or even vinegar.

One of my favorite traditions is: While the wives (and now children) are out contributing to the Black Friday frenzy, a bunch of us get together for a pathetic game of tackle football at our old high school. After which, I limp home to my mother-in-laws place (my folks moved out of the area a few years ago), and crack open my first tin of Christmas Cheer of year. I don't pop the seal until I get home, and I don't let it dry out any more than it takes me to get a beer out of the fridge and make my way to the back patio. That is probably my favorite bowl of the year.

I'm going to pick some of this up next time I make an order...and I'm going to go back to the B&M by my in-laws house and grab a tin of the 2012 to compare...yes, they still had 1 tin left.

I was hoping my B&M was going to have a 2012 left, but no luck. Oh well, there' s always ebay

McC's CC is probably the BEST PURE VA mixture made by ANYBODY today !! It's good fresh and as other's have stated, BETTER with age on it !! If I were given a choice btwn Union Square and CC, CC wins hands down every time ! Get as much as you can while it's still available ! :twisted: 

Christmas Cheer of 2011 was the first flake I tried. That was last year. By default it became my standard, as to what a flake or Virginia, should be. It has a way of making other tobacco taste like dirt. Just talking about it, is making my mouth water. No kidding, I just had to swallow.

I just ordered 4 cans. I would have gotten more if money wasn't an issue. In a box of tobacco it will go. Thants my strategy. I'm storing it in boxes and will start smoking it when I'm 60 and can't buy it anymore or its too expensive. I have a jar of Christmas Cheer from 2005 that I put in storage because it made my tongue sore. Its been in storage ever since. I'll see it when I'm 60.:D 

canofspam123":93t5b69j said:
I just ordered 4 cans.  I would have gotten more if money wasn't an issue.  In a box of tobacco it will go.  Thants my strategy.  I'm storing it in boxes and will start smoking it when I'm 60 and can't buy it anymore or its too expensive.  I have a jar of Christmas Cheer from 2005 that I put in storage because it made my tongue sore.  Its been in storage ever since.  I'll see it when I'm 60.:D 
That 2005 is READY NOW to be smoked !! 20 more years will just be a waste :twisted: 

canofspam123":dgmbq4x8 said:
I just ordered 4 cans.  I would have gotten more if money wasn't an issue.  In a box of tobacco it will go.  Thants my strategy.  I'm storing it in boxes and will start smoking it when I'm 60 and can't buy it anymore or its too expensive.  I have a jar of Christmas Cheer from 2005 that I put in storage because it made my tongue sore.  Its been in storage ever since.  I'll see it when I'm 60.:D 
Oh for pity sakes, just sip it and it'll be just fine. '05 should be plenty aged to soften the sharpness of youth.

Waiting until you're 60 is like missing out on the the development of this fine weed.

Just do it!

:drunken: 

Cheers,

RR

August always delights. Presently just started working on 2008, so likely will not get to the most recent issue for a few years yet. Of course, a healthy haul been added to the (back of the) cellar.

I just bought 13 tins, one to smoke in the near future and 12 for the cellar. I am trying to cellar 12 tins per year. I also found a store that has a great stash of vintage CC, and ordered a few of those. Am looking forward to trying this year's blend.

peckinpahhombre":pmxu4fxc said:
I just bought 13 tins, one to smoke in the near future and 12 for the cellar.  I am trying to cellar 12 tins per year.  I also found a store that has a great stash of vintage CC, and ordered a few of those.  Am looking forward to trying this year's blend.
Good move. You will likely not be disappointed. For years, I have found almost all vintages great with plenty of extra age on them (except for the 2004, which was a dud when it was released and remains a dud to this day). Nothing like looking at a see of red tins in the cellar, knowing that so much delight awaits for years and years to come!