Christmas Cheer 2016/2017

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
Any of the brothers smoked this newest release of CC ? I wonder what it taste like?

I've got a couple of tins of both but all of them are still sealed :oops: Waiting for Christmas to come.

What about the 2017 CC ? I can't smoke it because it will only be produced next year :shock: :(

Havent yet but you got me thinking and i checked i got a sealed tin of CC from 14... nothing like the fireplace crackling, a bowl full of CC and Holiday Inn with Bing on the Tellie

I bought some as well and did not open them. The only feedback I managed to get was from Tobacco Reviews.

Same. When I buy Christmas Cheer, I usually lay it down for 5 years before opening it.

I do know that while both released this year, the tobacco crops that went into the 2016 and 2017 batches are different from one another.

DrumsAndBeer":sgm8ss3i said:
Same. When I buy Christmas Cheer, I usually lay it down for 5 years before opening it.

I do know that while both released this year, the tobacco crops that went into the 2016 and 2017 batches are different from one another.  
My brother, being 72+ years old already, I can't risk to lay down tobacco for 5 years :cry:  It might outlast me

I've got 3 tins of CC 2016 and 4 of CC 2017.  I will open one 2016 on Christmas morning and sometime next year a tin of 2017.  Then I will have to see how long I can keep away form the rest.

I got talked into cracking a tin of 2017. Two ounces went into a canning jar and rest is in the factory tin. Three of us sampled the ' tobacco from next year'.

Save your tin until humans land on Mars. It'll be better.......

The opinion expressed is only reflective of the perceptions of the campfire judges, and may or may not coincide with other pallets, conditions, devices used and expectations.

Ozark Wizard":ljukjxo5 said:
I got talked into cracking a tin of 2017. Two ounces went into a canning jar and rest is in the factory tin. Three of us sampled the ' tobacco from next year'.

Save your tin until humans land on Mars. It'll be better.......

The opinion expressed is only reflective of the perceptions of the campfire judges, and may or may not coincide with other pallets, conditions, devices used and expectations.
:lol!: :lol: :lol!:

I'm trying to understand why some would wait up to 5 years and more before opening CC? They have already aged at least 5 years on average before being tinned. So, technically, they would be ideal to be smoked right now?

You could certainly smoke it now. It will be great I am sure.

I started buying Christmas Cheer a while back and found myself smoking a tin of 2008 during the holiday season in 2013, so I decided to make this my personal tradition.

I never got around to popping a tin last year, so I'll be opening a 2010 tin this year.

I opened a tin of CC 2016 a few days ago. It's got a lovely sweet flavour to it but is really spicy which intensifies the further down the bowl you go. I got a sneezing fit from retrohaling when three quarters through. DGT works a treat too.

Lovely stuff.

Cheers

Tim

I generally wait until Thanksgiving to open a tin, I was planning on trying the 2016.

Sounds scrumpdillicious!

Lord Guyrox":dd7n80iw said:
I'm trying to understand why some would wait up to 5 years and more before opening CC? They have already aged at least 5 years on average before being tinned. So, technically, they would be ideal to be smoked right now?
With Virginias they only get better with age. If 5 years ("fresh" from the tin) will be good, 5 more years will be even better. 10 more years will be great, and so on and so on.

I don't know that there's really an "ideal" age for Virginias, except to say the older the better!

idbowman":nnum2cfh said:
Lord Guyrox":nnum2cfh said:
With Virginias they only get better with age.  If 5 years ("fresh" from the tin) will be good, 5 more years will be even better.  10 more years will be great, and so on and so on.

I don't know that there's really an "ideal" age for Virginias, except to say the older the better!
I opened a tin of 2000 CC two Christmas's back, and it was fantastic. However, I opened a tin of 2008 Blackwoods Flake recently, and it wasn't that good. No better, as best I can recall, than when I opened a tin from the same year in 2010. Guess it may vary by blend and year?

Natch":v55xokjq said:
idbowman":v55xokjq said:
Lord Guyrox":v55xokjq said:
With Virginias they only get better with age.  If 5 years ("fresh" from the tin) will be good, 5 more years will be even better.  10 more years will be great, and so on and so on.

I opened a tin of 2000 CC two Christmas's back, and it was fantastic. However, I opened a tin of 2008 Blackwoods Flake recently, and it wasn't that good. No better, as best I can recall, than when I opened a tin from the same year in 2010. Guess it may vary by blend and year?
I notice that sometimes as well. And I think your premise might be spot on Natch. It varies...........

SpeedyPete":hx7umaog said:
I taste perique in the CC 2017 which should be pure Virginia ?? :shock:
I'm pretty sure all the Christmas Cheers are just Ginnies, nothing else. I agree it's a bit zingy, but it's a bit young...